If an owner has title in hand, how does the purchase work?

If an owner has title in hand, how does the purchase work?

Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
I'm looking at a FSBO property and the owner states has title in hand. The owner claims the only thing that needs to be done is a transfer of title for about $150 (in Texas) with a cash purchase. This seems too simple, but would be wonderful. (I've only bought SFH) Does this work if an owner still had a mortgage and I was paying cash or would there be closing costs? And if there were closing costs, would I be responsible as the buyer because I'm buying "Personal Property"? Thank you!
0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Winter Garden , FL · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 27 votes
9y

I'm in Florida but your best bet would be to always contact a title/closing agency. A title transfer is generally all that NEEDS to be done (quit claim deed) but you should check to make sure he has clear title even though he has it in hand, no liens etc, make sure the title is recorded properly, and get a title insurance policy. If you look at your previous HUDs or CD from your SFH there's not much of a difference whether the owner has title in hand. Every state is different but never take someone's word for anything in real estate it could cost you down the road, verify verify verify.

See this reply in the discussion

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Winter Garden , FL · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    I'm in Florida but your best bet would be to always contact a title/closing agency. A title transfer is generally all that NEEDS to be done (quit claim deed) but you should check to make sure he has clear title even though he has it in hand, no liens etc, make sure the title is recorded properly, and get a title insurance policy. If you look at your previous HUDs or CD from your SFH there's not much of a difference whether the owner has title in hand. Every state is different but never take someone's word for anything in real estate it could cost you down the road, verify verify verify.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    In Texas, all that is needed to transfer the title on a mobile home not attached to land is the SOL(Statement of Ownership and Location) to be notarized filed with the state.  The cost is $150

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    In Cali all MH transactions MUST go through an escrow to clear title and check for jr. leins or any title issues.

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    Jeremy Kuchenbecker Greg H. John Arendsen If this question is in the wrong section, please let me know and I'll drop the ? to another discussion group. I'm considering placing an offer on 1 MH, in a park in Texas, ONLY for a rent to own investment property, and I would owner finance. Would it be worth the $300 fee to purchase it in an LLC or under my own name? Not sure if this falls under MH forum or one of the legal forums.
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    When transferring between unrelated parties, NEVER take a Quickclaim but use a Warrant or Grant deed.  You also MUST have a title search & insurance. 

    With these, you're playing Russian Roulette with your money.

  • Investor · Winter Garden , FL · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    I'm not the forum police. You can go one of two routes: 1) close in a trust with your LLC as the beneficiary. The trust gives you anonymity and the LLC gives you liability protection

    2) close in your name and look at purchasing an umbrella policy. 

    Some people want LLCs because it makes them sound official. They have yearly fees and have limited/more costly options with insurance and can still be pierced. Luckily I havent had to find out which is "better". * Not an attorney

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    If it's your first deal, you can do either. Honestly, it's not that big of an issue. If you like doing mobile home deals, then you can go ahead and set-up an LLC down the road. If not, then you can get out and not have to deal with the separate LLC dedicated to mobile home investing.

    Believe it or not, I've known others to try a deal or two in the business only to find out it wasn't for them. It really depends on your comfort level. 

    Regarding the closing, it's a much simpler process than single-family homes especially if you're purchasing with all cash on personal property transactions for manufactured homes. 

    @Greg H. is correct about the Statement of Ownership and Location (SOL). If there are liens on the home (i.e. mortgage, taxes, etc), they will need to be taken off before you close. They won't do the transfer until all the liens are taken off. Here's the site link on titling for further reference:

    https://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh/ownership-location.htm

    Hope that helps! 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    @Carrie Cavins I'm really not familiar enough with the Texas MH protocol to be of much service on this question. If I'm interpreting your question properly it sounds similar to what we do in Cali. It works like this. We buy a home as a legal owner then sell it to another person as a FSBO/owner carry and make them the registered owner. It's all perfectly legal and gets away from the subletting thing that's inherent to most MH rent/lease communities. Is that sorta what you have in mind?

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    John Arendsen YES! This is exactly what I want to do. How do find out the professionals I need to make that happen? (Real estate attorney, CPA, realtor, title co??) Thank you for any info
  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    In Cali it's all done through the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) Title and Registration. I'm not sure who regulated MH's in Texas but that's probably the best place to start before spending $$$ on an attorney.

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    John Arendsen I found the equivalent for Texas https://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/mh/ownership-location.htm Any particular section or may I get more info where you go on the Cali site and I will do more research on the Texas one? Should I PM you other questions? Thanks for your help!
  • Rental Property Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2010 · 663 posts · 508 votes
    9y

    @Carrie Cavins You did not state if the person on the title is the same person who is selling it.  This will have additional items that may be required .  I also like to supplement the SOL with a bill of sale.  You also want to make sure the park is going to let you rent it etc.  Taxes should be current on it as well ( verify) 

    One thing you can do is talk to a reputable mobile home dealer and see if they can quarterback you the paperwork to verify you are doing everything correct.   They should not charge you too much but once you understand the process, you should be able to do it yourself..... 

  • Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @John Arendsen, when the owner occupant stops paying the note do you have to go trough a foreclosure process? I have heard about sellers signing over the title, yet still technically owning it, but it makes the eviction more difficult and lengthy. Where as a bond for deed puts the deed in escrow, and the owner receives all the tax benefits of the property. If the payment is late 45 days, the sheriff can come evict them. 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    "Where as a bond for deed puts the deed in escrow, and the owner receives all the tax benefits of the property. If the payment is late 45 days, the sheriff can come evict them."

    That lexicon I'm not familiar with @Chad C.

  • Denham Springs, LA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    @John Arendsen  Bond for deed might be Louisiana specific, but other states have similar contracts.  I think it's similar to California's land contract.  I was just wondering if your repossession process was difficult. 

    @Carrie Cavins this has some really good info in it. I would think any title company could write up a contract for you 

    http://www.lonestarlandlaw.com/owner_finance.html

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    Chad Clement thank you
  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    9y

    Got it.

    @Chad C.. Thanks.

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Carrie Cavins

    Bond for deed cannot be done in Texas

  • Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 57 posts · 18 votes
    9y
    Greg H. Thank you.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.