Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Mobile Home Park Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Matt McCurdy
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Renting vs. Selling on Contract

Matt McCurdy
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Posted

I'm seeing some softening of the contract sales market selling mobile homes in my mobile home community.  The town the mobile home community is in has a LARGE percent of tenants vs. home owners (60/40), so I'm wondering if I'm trying to force the issue by selling on contract when the tenants really just want the freedom to rent?

Currently, I have 7 mobile homes sitting vacant, so the idea of getting rent sounds great.  However, the idea of maintenance calls, risk of damage to the property, etc. doesn't excite me.  Any thoughts or ideas to make either model work the best (selling on contract or renting)?

User Stats

Votes
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Rachel H.#2 Mobile Home Park Investing Contributor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied

@Matt McCurdy If the majority of residents in the community prefer to rent, it may have more to say about the community than anything else. Most times, it's the community that attracts a certain type of clientele (not the other way around). 

Personally, I've tried to sell on contract in lower-end type communities which attracted a less than desirable type of clientele. Unfortunately, no one met my standards. So, I eventually sold for cash to an investor who moved the home I was selling out of the park and onto their piece of land. 

If you're not in a position to rent, you may want to just sell for cash and get out completely. The other option is to rent but to hire someone to manage your rentals. Though, you may end up managing that person (or company) which I've also done in the past. 

Hope that helps! 

User Stats

Votes
Matt McCurdy
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied
Quote from @Rachel H.:

@Matt McCurdy If the majority of residents in the community prefer to rent, it may have more to say about the community than anything else. Most times, it's the community that attracts a certain type of clientele (not the other way around). 

Personally, I've tried to sell on contract in lower-end type communities which attracted a less than desirable type of clientele. Unfortunately, no one met my standards. So, I eventually sold for cash to an investor who moved the home I was selling out of the park and onto their piece of land. 

If you're not in a position to rent, you may want to just sell for cash and get out completely. The other option is to rent but to hire someone to manage your rentals. Though, you may end up managing that person (or company) which I've also done in the past. 

Hope that helps! 

I’ve invested considerably into the community to make it better. New $15k playground, pavilion, new water lines, and storage units. We weren’t having issues selling on contract until late last year (I’ve owned it since 2021). There’s a new manufacturing plant being built less than a mile down the road.
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Replied

Matt,

I have both types of parks and certainly the all TOH park is easier to manage but it is our mixed park with 13 POH rentals that really drives the NOI. We are lucky to be in the right market situation with that park. We also have a 24 hr/wk maintanance manager who we pay very well to keep our homes in good shape through preemptive maintenance. Even with the additional maintenance expense we still drive a 66% better NOI than if the entire park was TOH.

POH homes are not ideal but if managed right they can be very profitable.  Sometimes we have to play the hand of cards the market deals us and play the best hand we can.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
  • Summerville, SC
Replied

I think maybe your sample size is too small to consider these summarizations. I would think rent to own or owner financing would work superbly. We posted an RTO in South Carolina last week and received over 2,600 clicks on the ad! We had over 60 messages and easily 20 serious RTO tenant-buyers! Additionally, with it being tax return time, folks have money to execute. Do your thing!

User Stats

Votes
Matt McCurdy
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied
Quote from @Dave Rav:

I think maybe your sample size is too small to consider these summarizations. I would think rent to own or owner financing would work superbly. We posted an RTO in South Carolina last week and received over 2,600 clicks on the ad! We had over 60 messages and easily 20 serious RTO tenant-buyers! Additionally, with it being tax return time, folks have money to execute. Do your thing!

Thanks Dave!  That's a valid point.  Maybe it's worth paying for a Facebook ad campaign.  Right now, I've just been using Facebook Marketplace.  When I first bought the community (2021), we had zero vacancies (we couldn't get enough MH's to market), but the back half of 2022 and first part of this year has been slower.  I'm hopeful an early Spring in Iowa coupled with tax refunds will open the flood gates.

User Stats

Votes
Matt McCurdy
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Cedar Rapids, IA
Replied
Quote from @Roger D Jones:

Matt,

I have both types of parks and certainly the all TOH park is easier to manage but it is our mixed park with 13 POH rentals that really drives the NOI. We are lucky to be in the right market situation with that park. We also have a 24 hr/wk maintanance manager who we pay very well to keep our homes in good shape through preemptive maintenance. Even with the additional maintenance expense we still drive a 66% better NOI than if the entire park was TOH.

POH homes are not ideal but if managed right they can be very profitable.  Sometimes we have to play the hand of cards the market deals us and play the best hand we can.

Thanks Roger for your insight!

User Stats

Votes
Dave Rav
  • Summerville, SC
Votes |
  • Summerville, SC
Replied

@Matt McCurdy - by the way, FB marketplace posting was F-R-E-E.  This is different than FB advertising (which costs, and we've done in the past)

A followup to our RTO unit. So, using FB marketplace we spent $0 on advertising, received over 60 messages and had a tenant buyer placed within 72 hours. They moved in put down $6k and now the property positive cashflows $650/mo.

There's your success story.  Feb 2024