Can a plumber cancel a permit after it's been passed by the (MN) city

Can a plumber cancel a permit after it's been passed by the (MN) city

Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 857 votes

To make a long story short.

I'm having pay dispute with a plumbing company who I hired to fix a broken sewerage line that had snapped just before the clean out under my basement. It was part of a condition on the closing side for the buyer (I'm the seller). They fixed it (I paid for their services at this point) but the buyer ran a camera prior to closing. Found the sewerage line was connected and fixed but there was not enough pitch from the main stack to the clean out line so water was just sitting there. Had to call the plumbing company to come back out, this was after I had filled the hole and cemented the holes. So owner says he would cut me a deal.... he discounted me $500 and charge me $1500 on top of the $1000 I already paid him. 

The plumber is now charging me again and I really refuse to pay for their mistake. The way I see it these guys didn't do their job right the first time, Im not the professional here but the master plumber had mentioned the pitch may have been an issue as the house had settled over the years, which in turn it was. Not only that I had to spend more time and money with filling the holes and cementing them back up to have it all ready for final closing. Sure I did this but if I were to hire a professional I would have had to pay them.

His saying that if I don't pay he will call the city of Minneapolis and have the city cancel the permit and then the buyer of the house will have an issue. Which will some how come back to me, sure of it. The house has been sold to the buyer and all permits are closed. Any advice on where to go from here?

1Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Short answer, normally, they can cancel the permit. You could look them up and call their bonding company, make bond sure it is current. Let them know that you will be filing a complaint, because of this and that. To start, they are responsible for their job, pitch or too many 90deg elbow, its theirs. Let them know they could pull the permit and bring in another contractor and you will be launching a complaint on their bond company for whatever the next contractor will charge you to get things right. Get proper documentation in everything you do, even the result from the camera, put those in writing. It will be a long experience on filing a complaint, but money is money.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    If it snapped , there is a reason , settlement being one of them.  If it was a 3 or 4 inch line and they removed a section 2 to 10 feet , and reconnected it , the pipe doesnt bend . If something settled , the pipe will be trapped .  Depends where it is trapped it may have to be redone all the way to the clean out at the street.  It really depends what you paid for , If its trapped past the repair , not the plumbers responsibility . 

    They can cancel a permit usually done before the inspector comes out , after its inspected its a bit harder , but remember , the inspector generally knows the plumbers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.