Private or Hard Money Lenders can be funny sometimes.

Private or Hard Money Lenders can be funny sometimes.

Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes

Hello everyone and happy 4th of July!!!  I am getting ready to close on a house later this month. 7/15/16 is the closing date right now.  I was planning on doing some financing on this one but it has become a little difficult as the closing date is close.  So I was looking at Hard Money.  I had just bought a used truck and put it on a credit card and some dental work on a credit card and I wanted to pay them both off before applying for a conventional loan.  You know, make the credit score go up.  And yes they are paid off.  Even Hard Money Lenders like to see your credit, so I wanted to pay off the credit cards first and look the best I could for them.  You know, for our first date.  LOL

Well I have talked with a bank to start with about a line of credit and then a few Hard Money Lenders that happen to hear about here on Bigger Pockets.  The first one I just felt the rates were to high and I shut down talks with them without giving them a chance to see what else was out there? I did send them another e-mail saying I would like to see if they could do better?  They did not reply. But if that was their starting point? I don't think we could do business anyway.  But I was going to give them another chance.

Then another HL happens to be local to me and I chatted on the phone with the one guy.  Told him a little bit about what I was after and he said no problem.  So I thought i would pop in to go over my situation a bit more.  Well the way I was greeted in the office and the way they just assumed I was someone else and told me to take a card and get some information from my boss and send it to them.  I looked at him very strange, as I don't have a boss, and he said "Who Are You"  I am David McBrayer of McBrayer Investment Trust and I pointed at my tee shirt with that info on it.  I am looking to borrow some money for a project.  We spoke on the phone for a few minutes the other day.  He said, well we are about to have a conference call and I don't have time to talk with you right now, you need to let us know you are coming by?  Which I said, I totally understand, that is why when I was replying to your e-mail this morning at 5am and I mentioned I would stop in today around 2pm.  Ghee look, it is 2:05pm.  Funny, I did not get a reply saying don't stop by or make an appointment.  But I understand you are busy.  

So I took a card a left and I could see they were busy.  I sent them an e-mail and told them I was sorry we got off to a bad start.  In which I got a phone call to help straighten things out and get us back on track.  But then I go over the deal and what I am looking for and they think I am off my rocker or something?  Well this is a prime case of me knowing the area I invest in much better than than the potential lender does.  I need $30k to $40k to rehab a house that I am paying $55k cash for.  The Tax Value of the house in 2015 was $82k, and we know it is worth more than that!  The Zestimate right now is $80k and that is with it the way it is and them not saying it is a 3-2.  I am going to rehab it and make it worth $120k or more.  I figure on the low side with that estimate, it could be worth $150k or better.  But they were scared to lend $30k on something like that?  Or offer me any kind of deal.  They said I could offer up my two condos as more collateral!!!  And they can go take a hike.  I did not just fall of a truck and I was not born last night.  Thank you for your time.

Look, I do not mind giving up some of the profits to borrow some money.  That is business.  But don't play me for a fool.  The fee's and interest rate you pay a Hard Money Lender are pretty steep to start with, but it is all about what kind of profit you want to make at the end, how much of it you are willing to part with?  How fast you need the cash and how long you need it for?  Also a big plus is not as much paperwork as a rule or not as many people to approve the deal.  I offered up a good solid deal.  I was looking to finance the whole project or part of it?  I could put a down payment and finance the rest, I could pay cash for the house and finance the rehab?  But neither has happened yet.  Put I do have some plastic and properties paid off.  So I am not that worried.  Someone is missing a deal.

I have assets and money to pay for the house.  2 condos paid off and a piece of vacant land paid off.  Credit score is good and I do not owe much money at all.  My to credit to debt ratio is tiny.  Yet the Hard Money Lenders act like I am the risky one?  Well, it looks like you make $0 dollars on this deal.  How is that working out for you?  And a great chance you make $0 dollars on my next deal and the one after that.  It would be nice to be treated as a human and an investor! Rather than your next meal ticket.  As it looks like you are not eating.  Get those DOLLAR SIGNS out of your eyes.  It is not helping.  

The closing on this deal on the 15th regardless of rehab money.  I am taking bids on the work I want done and by the first of August I hope to be going strong with the rehabbing.  If I have to do the projects one at a time? I will.  I can refi a condo or something?  The bottom line is, I am trying to build up some business relationships.  Part of my problem is being a ghost for 8 years.  I show no activity on my credit report.  But yet I own properties and have money coming in.  Someone will get wise and want to partner with me or lend to me.  I do my research and I know the area where I like to invest.  The 2nd problem is, I am blunt and it can rub people the wrong way.  But just because you have some money to lend that I would like to borrow, does not give you that much control over me.  After all, I got the deal, not you.  And there are other Lenders out there that do just what you do.  Just like plenty of Investor's  out there that do what I do.  I just have not put my situation in front of the right lender yet.  So don't think I must have you.  As those are the deals that generally don't work.  The one's where the borrower is willing to walk away from?  Those generally do!

Everyone keep up the great work and invest wisely.  I hope you all have a safe and Happy 4th of July!!!

0Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

Most HML rates are not negotiable on your first few deals. so I think your under some misconception that your deal here which is SMALL for a loan has some juice when in fact its not a real prime candidate for most lenders.. IE because how much money can you make on one little 50k loan.

if your looking at it like bank rates or think that 4 points and 14% is too.. high.. that only makes the lender a whopping 2k fee.. hardly worth dealing with someone who is demanding and blunt to boot.. LOL...

If you could not do a consistent volume of these like 1 to 2 a month you offer very little on the borrower side.. and more risk and time and energy than your account is worth frankly.

this is why you see so many folks have such a hard time borrowing on these smaller deals. risk far out weights the reward for the lender.. especially in FLA were its judicial ..

See this reply in the discussion

52 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Most HML rates are not negotiable on your first few deals. so I think your under some misconception that your deal here which is SMALL for a loan has some juice when in fact its not a real prime candidate for most lenders.. IE because how much money can you make on one little 50k loan.

    if your looking at it like bank rates or think that 4 points and 14% is too.. high.. that only makes the lender a whopping 2k fee.. hardly worth dealing with someone who is demanding and blunt to boot.. LOL...

    If you could not do a consistent volume of these like 1 to 2 a month you offer very little on the borrower side.. and more risk and time and energy than your account is worth frankly.

    this is why you see so many folks have such a hard time borrowing on these smaller deals. risk far out weights the reward for the lender.. especially in FLA were its judicial ..

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    The house was the collateral.  I might have put a condo up but two?  LOL.  Within two blocks of this house are homes for $300k to $500k and more.  It is two blocks from the lake.   The houses across from it and beside it are $150k and one is not rehabbed.

    I do understand there are certain conditions on the first few deals for most companies.  And the rates can be kind of high.  I can deal with that.  They were just too high to me.  And yes, $30k is laughable to a lender.  Please, get that tiny deal out of here.  So I do understand that and I can appreciate that.  I was willing to borrow $72k.

    Thank you both for the comments!!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs and @John thank you for the comments.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    As you know @Jay Hinrichs, I like to be blunt and appreciate your answer.  It is tiny and it may be riskier.  I am not on that end.  And the expense of doing a deal.  I am looking to build a relationship and this was the deal I had.  I do understand it is dinky.

    But I am paying $55k cash for it, putting $30k to $40k in it.  So to get even $50 to $60k quick out of a deal that went South?  But again, I am not a lender so I do not understand that side.  I will be honest.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    that's my point google Scottmans guide there is a list of 50 or HML throughout the country and 90% of them their minimum loan is 100k.. from the lenders side of the equation there is not enough money coming in on one file to make a profit for them... and or take the risk..

    they might make even at a  70k loan at 4 points is 2800 plus some junk fee's if they had to chase the collateral in FLA it will cost more than that.. and if for some reason you butchered the rehab it gets worse.. Believe me I have been on both sides of this many many times.. and have built a niche for myself in these smaller loans... but I have to do 10 to 20 a month to make any kind of money vis a vi the risk.

    plus HML generally don't give 100% of costs you need some cash into it.. so that's why they wanted substitute collateral.. Plus they don't know you .. and if you have confidence from their stand point you should have no problem putting up more collateral it shows your good intentions.. ( that's how a lender looks at it.)

    @Account Closed  when making a loan the property is collateral on its face.. that's RE one oh one.. LOL.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed that could be a problem.  I put them in my Trust so the family does not have to probate them.  I am getting old. LOL  I do appreciate your input as well as Jay's.  He is just being BLUNT. LOL  I like it.  I do plan on doing bigger deals and more deals.  I have a friend who wants to sell his portfolio in W.H. and I would like to buy them.  But one deal at a time and I need to get this house taken care of first.  I may just put rehab on hold and rent it out for a while.  And do one project at a time.  I was just wanting to get it done pretty quick.

    I do have friends and I do live in South Florida.  And my cousin works in Orlando at a few subdivisions I am sure you have heard of and knows a few of them that invest.  I just don't want to call on a friend.  Or trying not too.  But I will. LOL.  I am trying to build business relationships.  But I need to be a little more understanding and probably not so blunt and open.  But I have been made to feel like a meal ticket.  And as John was saying, heck, they only make a few thousand and have to work hard to get it back if something goes wrong.  I just have not dealt with many lenders. LOL

  • Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2015 · 313 posts · 207 votes
    10y

    I have to agree with most of the other posters. Very few lenders make loans under 50k and the ones that do want more security as the risks are higher on the low end. If there is a default more of the value gets eaten up by lost interest, attorney fees and any disposition costs. I rarely negotiate on rates and only with the larger more established borrowers.

    Good luck with your deal.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Jay Hinrichs, I am new to this.  And I was looking to put skin in the game.  I have put all my skin in the other games I have.  Except one.  A owner financed deal.  Again, $30k.  Because no one else wants a small deal as you say.

    I need to learn more about the lending side.  To really understand a deal from both sides.  What I think is a good deal might be a total joke to someone else.   I would like to think I know a little bit about real estate.  But I have a ton to learn as you can see.

    Thank you both again for the input.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Stan Sugarman you are right.  I am the one in the wrong.  I have a dinky deal.  And if I want the money I have to pay for it.   I do appreciate the honesty everyone.  I must learn.  Sometimes it takes a post like this to get schooled.  I am willing to learn now.  Don't think I am not soaking up what you all are saying!!!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    your welcome.. if you understand the HML mind set going in your not shocked when they lay out the terms..

    your loan would be better suited for a quasi private money lender .. there are plenty of them here on BP.... @John Thedford   John likes to play in this sand box.. maybe you two could collaborate and come up with something.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs it seems the numbers were a little higher than the ones you mentioned.  4 points and 14% for a short term is not that much.   But as a first offer early in the morning before the first cup of coffee can be shocking.

    I have never used a HML before. See, I called them HL's. I left the MONEY out. I do have other deals I would like to do. But if I pay cash for this one? And have to rehab it on my own? If will eat up all my cash. But I will have tons of equity. And that is not a bad thing is it? Unless you want to do other deals as I do.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    you have collateral pull cash out of your existing collateral and use it to fund your ongoing operations. put it on a 3 to 5 year note.. use the two condo's .. then you only do one loan .. its like a cash out HELOC.. then when your doing your flipping your not paying transaction fee each time you do a new deal... lets say your deals are all in at about 200k there in that part of FLA I see tons of those in my work day.... use your cash on hand 70k pull 130k out of condos now you have 200k .. only pay loan fee's one time on the condo loans set those up for as stated 3 to 5 years... that will give you the most cost effective money.... and you don't have to waste time lining up funding for each of your new deals.. your blessed to work in a market where limited capital can make you some decent money.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the help and advise @Jay Hinrichs, I will have to send you a check too. LOL  I don't mind paying a little bit to build up a business relationship and trust.  I will have to look into what your lending style is so I can keep it in mind?  Making sure I understand the deal is huge.  And we all now know I don't.   But you are schooling me and I appreciate it!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Yes...I agree with other posters. How much money can you make on a 30K loan at 12%? $3600 per year. I guess if you have forty or fifty of them it would add up but one here and there is IMO not worth the effort. My minimum is 50K and most of them are higher. And, if you have defaults, you have LOTS of extra bookwork, etc. I would much rather not have a loan at any terms rather than have a loan with issues. I had one local guy with about 250K in loans that gave me nothing but problems. When I finally got paid off, that was the end of our business relationship! Keep in mind that most banks won't do loans under 50K...and for this very same reason. As to the OP, I am changing my M/O. Thanks to @Jay Hinrichs and the education he offers on BP (for free--can't beat that) I now subscribe to the 3 C's...creditworthiness, capacity to repay the loan, and the collateral. Following his guidelines, I hope to avoid problems with my lending! Making a few dollars but having a HUGE headache is not the tradeoff I want and am sure many HML have also found this to be true.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs, I wish I could.  I don't know how and time is running out.  Face it, I have been a cash buyer and I don't know the in's and outs yet.  I got to get busy.  Because of the time line of this deal, and not wanting to bang my credit I have been building since coming back into the light, I have not tried to do that yet.

    See, I have not dealt with multiple properties at once.  And all the ways of structuring them.  As it seems you do.  I will have to re-read this and study it some more.  Again, I got a few deals I would like to do.  The one house would cost $200k.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Okie Dokie  wish you the best you got some good feedback here and now you can get laser focused on how to proceed and not get miffed if a lender does not react the way you expect..

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed I don't want you to be scared to lend me money.  But I understand what you are saying.  I am looking for business relationships.  I pay my bills on time, the lender are happy and life is good.  Then they say, find another deal and come talk to me.  That is why CASH is KING.  He ain't scared.  Just kidding man.  Trying to have some fun as well.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Haven, FL · Member since 2015 · 96 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs, you are right.  But Lenders can learn to be a little kinder and not have those big dollar signs in their eyes.  Sort of like, I am the only lender out there for you.  And that is not true.  They may be the only lender I have talked to at the time that could do the deal.  But there are others.  If you want to ask friends and family.  And from the beginning I have said build business relationships.  I can always hit a friend or two up for $5k or $10k.  They know I am good for it.  But that is not a business relationship.  It is better financially though.  As they charge way less money and don't require paperwork.  Or much of it.  But if the end of the month gets here and I need to?  I will ask one.  Or just string out the project until I am able to do what you were saying.  Thanks for the info and everyone have a great 4th of July.  I do appreciate all the feedback.  I need to be schooled.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
    10y

    The hard money lender is running a business and it is a very risky business to be loaning money like this. As all businesses, some place a priority on customer service. In my market, Veristone is amazing at customer service. But if you look at the 22 employees that they have to hire to offer this amazing service, this adds a ton of expenses to the bottom line. 

    Working with hard money lenders requires building relationships. They get approached by all kinds of "wanna be" aka energy vampire investors everyday. From your post, it sounds they don't know you because you don't have a relationship. They also don't know you by reputation either. Some investors have such a big operation that every lender knows them by reputation.

    As Jay states if you are not happy with their service, find another hard money lender. However, a lender having great customer service will make the loan more expensive. But be careful not to burn any bridges in real estate; it is a very very small world. 

    For example, I can get hard money loans based on our volume and track record at 9% and 2 pts for 12-months. This are cheaper terms than Veristone, but I still prefer Veristone because they are straight forward, offer amazing service, always answer the phone and most importantly they can close reliably in 48-hours.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 31 votes
    10y

    Very insightful!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Ryland Taniguchi  what I found over the years that the bigger players that actually do fix and flip for a living regard as value to their business is:

    1. NO BS underwriting and quick answers.

    2. they will pay more for more leverage

    3. AND as a HML you NEVER run out of money... This is key to client retention ( at least for your best borrowers).. this reputation will carry you a long way.. and it was one I was very proud of in my day when I ran my shop.. ( I had 18 to 20 employees LOL ). What investors don't like to hear is your book is full sorry cant do that one... Ergo you picky about who you do business with so you can support your core group come hell or high water.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Ryland Taniguchi

    to further this thought think of it this way as a HML and as a rehabber.

    You have a lender that will require 10% equity total and 70% ARV.. ( you don't want to buy anything as the flipper with a higher ARV anyway usually)

    and for those terms your lender is a little more like a Veristone or East side or Iron bridge take your pick ( or like me in my day)

    So say your 10% down lender is  3 and 12

    And say your lender like Lending home ( were like you I can qualify based on my volume for their absolute lowest rate which is 2 and 7. something.) but they want 30% cash into the deal for that rate.

    Now say you want to do this for a living.. and say like most projects for us west coast folks its 6 to 9 months to cycle start to finish ( IE the properties are so competitive you need to close but it can take a few months to many months just to get your plans and permits not at all like flipping little dinger in other areas of the country)

    So you do your average deal we do here at 500k  your local guy is at 10% equity that's 50k..

    your cheaper lender is at 150k equity.

    your cost of capital is 9k  2 points  and say 12% for 9 months is 40k so total cost of capital is 50k.

    your property sells for 30% more or 650k... minus commish ( if your smart like me you have your own RE license so you don't pay list side in high price markets  LOL). so 20k for commish.. another 20k in taxs and various other things.. so 50k + 20k + 20K = 90 k   or 590k all in so you net 60k

    same scenario with 150k down 350k X 2 points is 7k   lets use your number of 9% for 9 months. 23k

    so total of 30k and a savings of 20k for that 9 month project... so net 80k

    Now lets assume you can do 3 at a time in the same nine month period because your great HML ( like me in my day) would give you the leverage.... use the same numbers... 3 X 60 k is 180k over the same time period with the same amount of cash...

    So when we as HML allow our borrowers to leverage up and charge a little more we make more by far IE we make 150k in 9 months profit with the same borrower.. and the borrower makes 180k.

    If you have unlimited or large amounts of cash to match up to the cheaper rates of course that what you do.. but for COC and to scale to where you can actually make a living and I submit that one 80k deal in 9 months is NOT a living in our area... 180k in the same amount of time you can squeak by on and scale .

    So depending on were your at in your fix and flip business searching for the cheapest rate is not always the answer .. Proper leverage IF YOU HAVE DEAL flow is were its at.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 786 posts · 717 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Ryland Taniguchi

    to further this thought think of it this way as a HML and as a rehabber.

    You have a lender that will require 10% equity total and 70% ARV.. ( you don't want to buy anything as the flipper with a higher ARV anyway usually)

    and for those terms your lender is a little more like a Veristone or East side or Iron bridge take your pick ( or like me in my day)

    So say your 10% down lender is  3 and 12

    And say your lender like Lending home ( were like you I can qualify based on my volume for their absolute lowest rate which is 2 and 7. something.) but they want 30% cash into the deal for that rate.

    Now say you want to do this for a living.. and say like most projects for us west coast folks its 6 to 9 months to cycle start to finish ( IE the properties are so competitive you need to close but it can take a few months to many months just to get your plans and permits not at all like flipping little dinger in other areas of the country)

    So you do your average deal we do here at 500k  your local guy is at 10% equity that's 50k..

    your cheaper lender is at 150k equity.

    your cost of capital is 9k  2 points  and say 12% for 9 months is 40k so total cost of capital is 50k.

    your property sells for 30% more or 650k... minus commish ( if your smart like me you have your own RE license so you don't pay list side in high price markets  LOL). so 20k for commish.. another 20k in taxs and various other things.. so 50k + 20k + 20K = 90 k   or 590k all in so you net 60k

    same scenario with 150k down 350k X 2 points is 7k   lets use your number of 9% for 9 months. 23k

    so total of 30k and a savings of 20k for that 9 month project... so net 80k

    Now lets assume you can do 3 at a time in the same nine month period because your great HML ( like me in my day) would give you the leverage.... use the same numbers... 3 X 60 k is 180k over the same time period with the same amount of cash...

    So when we as HML allow our borrowers to leverage up and charge a little more we make more by far IE we make 150k in 9 months profit with the same borrower.. and the borrower makes 180k.

    If you have unlimited or large amounts of cash to match up to the cheaper rates of course that what you do.. but for COC and to scale to where you can actually make a living and I submit that one 80k deal in 9 months is NOT a living in our area... 180k in the same amount of time you can squeak by on and scale .

    So depending on were your at in your fix and flip business searching for the cheapest rate is not always the answer .. Proper leverage IF YOU HAVE DEAL flow is were its at.

    Never thought of it this way but it makes sense. Through trial and error, I keep coming to same conclusion that the availability of capital, speed and predictability of terms are more important than rate and points.

    As far as deal flow for flips, that has been the problem. As quality flips that pencil out in good locations have been getting harder and harder to find. With all the mailers and door knockers and center of influence advantages that my company has, if I am having a hard time find the flips I am pretty sure even one is having the same issues.

    I see rehabbers overpaying everyday and I think the average deal that the flipper is buying in my area is very risky if we go through a market correction. So I adapted to the times and find its easier to find BRRRR rental deals and high density urban townhomes than it is to find flips. But the available of lending for these niches are not as easy as flips. This has lead me in the direction of raising capital through a rule 506 private placement.

    I get that a HML has to have huge sources of capital. That would seem to me to expose this HML to huge risks in a market shift. Have you looked into models where you add lower IRR but safer portfolios of cash flow, tax lien certificates and 30-year private fixed notes with higher IRR development deals to mix with the HML? Or is there something that I am missing in being able to do in the same private placement?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Ryland Taniguchi  no question market shifts are dangerous to lenders of all ilk.

    for me personally pooled investments are not something that I would like to do or sponsor. I am not set up anymore with the man power to pull those off in a coordinated manner.. simply too much paper work and you want to talk about RISK.. being the GP or Sponsor on a pooled investment is about as risky as you can get if you have a correction and the market moves drastically against you.

    The numbers I posted above are pretty typical for PDX house flippers and there is deal flow. its not 2009.. but its not impossible. 

    I tried tax Lien certs.. again too much brain drain and trouble for what they were worth I could not put enough capital into them without totally scaling up and that being a business.  I get it for some. I bought some years ago and promptly forgot about them  not sure if they ever redeemed or not.. many never do and you are wiped out.

    on Development deals that for me currently is what I am doing. REASON Is I can count on deal flow I don't have to talk about how tough it is to find a fix and flip. I have 30 homes in various stages of construction right now with another 50 lots bought and paid for ahead of me so enough to get me to 2017.  And I have options on another 165 lot development on the west side of PDX.. just working it through.. If we end up closing on that that will take me to 2020 and retirement.

    I will continue to do my infill in Charleston that has treated us well.. we have 11 going there its much like PDX or SEA... only little lower price points end product is 350 to 600k.. but its brisk and margins are better than west coast... one reason is all in fees for building permits are in the 5k range not the 35 to 45k range like here in PDX.. other wise build cost are about the same. with some subs higher some lower.  finding quality subs is a problem but we hammer through it.

  • George DespotopoulosBusiness Member
    Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 936 posts · 287 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs - Agree with you 100%. Unless the investor is doing a significant amount of business with the Hard Money Lender, the Lender will usually look for at least $100k in property value and $75k< in loan amount. Aside from making $$$, the HML needs to take into account the fact that if the property goes into Foreclosure the fixed costs for a smaller loan are the same as a larger loan which effects your final recovery value as a lender.

    MoFin Lending4.9152 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.