Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Evangelina Obana
  • New to Real Estate
  • Virginia
Votes |
Heloc application primary residence before moving into next primary residence

Evangelina Obana
  • New to Real Estate
  • Virginia
Posted Jun 17 2024, 15:02

Hi to all 

I am a brand new to this BP and a completely beginner investing in real estate.

I have applied for a second mortgage for my next primary residence and on the process hopefully closing at the end of August (brand new home), now I have contacted some credit union to apply a HELOC and advised me to apply before closing of my current primary home. If I will apply now for HELOC does it affect my credit score for my next primary application) The builder just pulled again my credit last 5/21/24 (for the second time), Does it affect in any circumstances my loan will fell out with the builder?, The builder told me that as long as my HELOC is zero balance on closing that will be okay, but I did not ask them if it will drastically lower my credit in case they will pull again for the third time with the builder. I am planning to get this HELOC before closing in order to buy another 3rd investment if God's willing. Any sincere advised will be much appreciated,

thank you so much.

Eva

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Baird
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Melbourne, FL
Replied Jun 18 2024, 06:56

For clarification: you have a first mortgage and a second mortgage on this new build? And then you are applying for a HELOC on that same house? What will your loan to value be? It also sounds as if your builder is also your lender?

Another pull on your credit is likely to drop your score a few points, as in 3.  Typically, when we close with a conventional lender there is paperwork we sign that states we intend to occupy the house for at least a year.  

My thoughts: The HELOC might be a good emergency fund, but basically it is a large credit card. It affects our DTI (dent to income) ratio, also like a credit card. A better plan that using this HELOC for a down payment would be to keep debt to a minimum so that your DTI is exceptional, and save up from your income for the next down payment.

User Stats

Votes
Evangelina Obana
  • New to Real Estate
  • Virginia
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 18 2024, 07:16

Thank you Kerry for your valuable feedback.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Joseph Chiofalo
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Votes |
Lender
  • Banker
  • Melville, NY
Replied Jun 19 2024, 16:35

Hi Eva, 

Typically the lender will underwrite the loan as if you used the full line of credit so it could potentially change your debt to income ratio. 

You should share the information with your lender so you dont come across any surprise issues as you get closer to closing.