Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Kabilan Nathan
  • Wholesaler
Votes |
Is The Bond Market Affecting Mortgage Rates?

Kabilan Nathan
  • Wholesaler
Posted Apr 26 2024, 08:42

Hello! I'm seeing that mortgage rates have been rising for the past 4 weeks where 30-year mortgages are at around 7% and 15 year-fixed mortgages are at somewhere close to 6.5% now. I've read that this is because of the yields from the 10-year treasuring bonds which have been affected by the interest rates. Does anyone know how true this is and if mortgage rates will keep going up? 

User Stats

Votes
John O'Leary
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Replied Apr 26 2024, 09:25

Yes , the 10-year Treasury bond yield can influence interest rates including mortgage rates. It really reflects broader market sentiment and economic conditions. For example, if investors expect higher inflation or economic growth, they may demand higher yields on Treasury bonds, pushing interest rates higher across the board.

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 27 2024, 06:12
Quote from @Kabilan Nathan:

Hello! I'm seeing that mortgage rates have been rising for the past 4 weeks where 30-year mortgages are at around 7% and 15 year-fixed mortgages are at somewhere close to 6.5% now. I've read that this is because of the yields from the 10-year treasuring bonds which have been affected by the interest rates. Does anyone know how true this is and if mortgage rates will keep going up? 

Yes - mortgage rates are greatly influenced by treasury yields and have been moving in conjunction with the terrible bond market of the last couple of months.  100% true.  However, nobody can predict the future if this will continue - hopefully we get some relief soon!
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Kabilan Nathan
  • Wholesaler
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
Replied Apr 27 2024, 09:41

Thank you for the insights, we can only hope it gets better! Very surprising that bonds can have such an effect on mortgages!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Apr 27 2024, 11:46

Thank you for the insights, we can only hope it gets better! Very surprising that bonds can have such an effect on mortgages!

Bonds have the greatest impact on mortgages due to their longevity (10 year) and mortgages are long term as well. The last auction of treasuries also saw Russia and China buying less US debt and investor optimism is not high, and bids were like 50bps greater. The issue that people keep ignoring is our uncontrolled spending and debt. To lower inflation its a two headed monster and the one everyone is ignoring is spending, and someone needs to buy the debt - and based on how much we are spending its leading to higher rates due to the risk. 

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Apr 29 2024, 12:14

The bond market directly dictates mortgage rates in fact for the large majority of mortgages. Mortgage backed securities are bonds made up of 100's of mortgages that are sold to investors all over the world. The prices that these bonds can be sold dictate the mortgage rates for borrowers.  These bonds can be made up of agency (Fannie/Freddie) mortgages or non-qualified mortgage backed securities.  So, not only does the bond market set rates, it directly does for the majority of mortgages. 

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mbs.asp
  • Lender Alabama (#69841), Virginia (#MLO-35815VA), Texas (#323441), Pennsylvania (#64778), Oregon (#323441), Louisiana (#323411), Iowa (#31166), Georgia (#55988), Florida (#LO40080), and Colorado (#100506224)

Hurst Real Estate Logo