Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes
James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
California Broker Exam

James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Posted Nov 20 2010, 12:57

I will be taking my broker exam in two weeks. The exam has 200 multiple choice questions (5 hours long), and I have heard the Calfornia broker exam is tough. I will be flying out from Chicago to take the test so i need to make sure i pass on my first try.

I took the retrainerca weekend crash course in Santa Ana and worked through all 2700 questions in that thick book they give you. I will be taking the crash course again on Sat and Sun and have scheduled my exam on the following Monday. Trying to memorize as much as i can through index cards. For you California brokers who have recently passed the exam, any advice or strategies you can give me on how to pass on your first try?

User Stats

Votes
Dale Osborn
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Votes |
  • Mobile Home Investor
  • Spanaway, WA
Replied Nov 20 2010, 14:57

Why does a person residing in Chicago worry about passing a real estate exam in California? Seem like you would want to find something closer to home! Perhaps you could explain the situation?

User Stats

Votes
Chris H.
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Replied Nov 21 2010, 14:11

Hello James,

I am still waiting on the results of the exam I took last Thursday, 11/17/2010. That test was honestly one of the more harder tests I took. In fact, I was there with a lawyer who mentioned that it was harder than passing the BAR!

The questions are really tricky, and a lot don't have full answers. You have to really read the question SLOWLY and ACCURATELY, since there are double negatives and little words like "not", "except", etc that can change the whole meaning of the question.

They give you pencils and a calculator, and divide the test into 100 question blocks where you have 2.5 hours per section. There is no going back!

I used an 'exam cram' booklet and instructional DVD and DO NOT recommend it. I think the way that you have went about studying is superior with the booklet of questions. You are already familiar with the minutia that is involved.

I do recommend initially skipping all math questions, and the questions you don't know right away. Do all the one's you know for sure. When you go back through the test, then you can do the math and look over the difficult ones. Sometimes rereading it makes that difficult question very easy!

Best of luck, but be prepared because that was one of the most difficult tests of my life. Keep us updated!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Replied Nov 27 2010, 10:48
Originally posted by Chris__H:
Hello James,

I am still waiting on the results of the exam I took last Thursday, 11/17/2010. That test was honestly one of the more harder tests I took. In fact, I was there with a lawyer who mentioned that it was harder than passing the BAR!

The questions are really tricky, and a lot don't have full answers. You have to really read the question SLOWLY and ACCURATELY, since there are double negatives and little words like "not", "except", etc that can change the whole meaning of the question.

They give you pencils and a calculator, and divide the test into 100 question blocks where you have 2.5 hours per section. There is no going back!

I used an 'exam cram' booklet and instructional DVD and DO NOT recommend it. I think the way that you have went about studying is superior with the booklet of questions. You are already familiar with the minutia that is involved.

I do recommend initially skipping all math questions, and the questions you don't know right away. Do all the one's you know for sure. When you go back through the test, then you can do the math and look over the difficult ones. Sometimes rereading it makes that difficult question very easy!

Best of luck, but be prepared because that was one of the most difficult tests of my life. Keep us updated!

Chris, did you find out if you passed or not? Mine is coming in a week. I can't wait to get this 5 hour exam over with.

User Stats

Votes
Chris H.
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Hayward, CA
Replied Nov 28 2010, 14:44

Hey James,

Just sent you a PM. Yep I passed! I'm still pretty excited about it all. If you pass they don't tell you the percentage you got right, but if you do not, they will let you know your percentage and what areas need improvement. You need a 75% or 150 out of 200 questions right.

Took about 4 business days to find out; Wednesday- took the exam, Monday-saw results online. Although I was up in Sacramento so I am unsure if it is the usual time frame.

When is your exam? Good luck and update us on your progress!

User Stats

Votes
Gene Hacker
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Lake Isabella, CA
Replied Jan 16 2011, 09:03

I took the exam last winter in Fresno, CA. They gave me the results before I left the testing center.

I used a practice test questions program for the computer. I was passing the practice test with over 90% score before the actual test. I passed first try but I am not sure how well I did. I am guessing upper 70s or low 80s.

There was a lady that left the test room crying during the first half.

User Stats

Votes
Richard Grant
  • Wholesaler
  • Utah
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Utah
Replied Jan 17 2011, 05:39

James, Did you pass the ca re brokers exam? I failed it with a 70 and am thinking of taking the cram class you did, do you recomend it?

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 20 2011, 18:15
Originally posted by Chris__H:
Hey James,

Just sent you a PM. Yep I passed! I'm still pretty excited about it all. If you pass they don't tell you the percentage you got right, but if you do not, they will let you know your percentage and what areas need improvement. You need a 75% or 150 out of 200 questions right.

Took about 4 business days to find out; Wednesday- took the exam, Monday-saw results online. Although I was up in Sacramento so I am unsure if it is the usual time frame.

When is your exam? Good luck and update us on your progress!

Hi Chris,
I am going to take the broker exam in summer. However, I really have no idea how I should prepare the test. Do you have any good exam prep material you can recommend? Do you know any exam material which can cover the questions in the acutal exam? Please help!

User Stats

Votes
James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Replied Feb 21 2011, 00:12
Originally posted by Richard Grant:
James, Did you pass the ca re brokers exam? I failed it with a 70 and am thinking of taking the cram class you did, do you recomend it?

Richard.. Sign up again and don't give up. I got a 72 my first time and was very discouraged since i was flying in from Chicago to take the exam. Having 2 boys who were 6 months old at the time and expenses adding up for flights and hotels left me discouraged. My wife encouraged me to try again and I passed the second time. By my second time taking the exam I had reviewed all 2700 exam questions in that thick Retrainersca book they give you. I didn't find too much value from the 2 day crash course as the instructor reads word for word what the book says.

If i can do it. You can do it!

User Stats

Votes
Anson Young
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Agent
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 21 2011, 01:12

I have speed crammed and passed both the CO and AZ license tests in 2 weeks time each (classes + study time). Its a memory dump, pure and simple. You wont use 90% of what you 'learn', so dont get too cozy with it. Online tests, lots of questions review, and take the tests a few times if you need and you should be good.

User Stats

Votes
She Ju
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Apr 4 2012, 09:43

Hey Chris,
I'm finishing up with the Kaplan classes in April and need a good site to purchace online exam and questions. Can you tell me which one you used and liked. The names of the not so usefull sites would also be helpful. Thanks, Sherry

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Apr 4 2012, 11:26

For one, try to relax. Make sure you KNOW the housing laws regarding discrimination. KNOW everything with Brokers Trust Accounts and time frames for handling trust funds, etc. If you go onto the DRE website, you can get a breakdown of the percentage of questions for each category. I'm sure the guys on here that recently took the exam can help you the most. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Ron Gunnoe
  • La Crescenta, CA
Votes |
  • La Crescenta, CA
Replied Apr 5 2013, 18:37

I passed Broker exam on March 20, 2013, first try. The key is to STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. And, don't just use one CRAM service. Use at least 3. Get use to different types of questions. One online cram service will have questions worded in only a certain way. You need to get use to different wording. Also, get the basics down, and take lots of Mock Exams until you are scoring at least 95%. I was scoring 95% on the Mock exams and my guess is I only got about 80% on the State Exam.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Aqaab Z
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Monica, CA
Replied Apr 7 2013, 15:22

Hi Ron,

What materiel did u study?
pls contact me since I'm taking my broker exam in two wks?
my e-mail is [email protected]

User Stats

Votes
Scott Williams
  • RE Investor & Broker
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Votes |
  • RE Investor & Broker
  • Huntington Beach, CA
Replied Apr 8 2013, 17:06
Originally posted by Aqaab Z:
Hi Ron,

What materiel did u study?
pls contact me since I'm taking my broker exam in two wks?
my e-mail is [email protected]

Not Ron, but I took the CA Brokers exam last November and passed the first time. I used the Allied Broker cram materials (DVD, book and online exams). Make sure you are consistently hitting 90%+ on the exams. The actual exam was quite a bit harder than the practice exams. I felt like i was killing the practice exam and I expected to do the same with the actual exam and I remember feeling a lot less certain once I was actually sitting there. The ONLY thing that made me feel better sitting there, was knowing that I couldn't have done anything more to prepare. They give you a lot more time than you will need, so make sure to really read the questions and possible answers slowly at least twice. As mentioned above, watch out for the double negatives, "not", "except", etc. Good luck!

Scott

User Stats

Votes
Ron Gunnoe
  • La Crescenta, CA
Votes |
  • La Crescenta, CA
Replied Apr 9 2013, 21:31

Yes... Scott, I agree completely. It is actually quite easy to memorize all the questions that Allied offers. Then, you think you are doing great on all the Mock Exams. Now, sitting in front of the Actual Exam screen is a different story. The wording is often meant to confuse and make it complicated. Just work through it slowly. However, after you memorize 1000's of potential questions, you will begin to see that similar questions appear. The formula seems to be, whatever you are getting on the Mock exams, take 10 - 15% off of that for your real exam.

User Stats

Votes
Aqaab Z
  • Santa Monica, CA
Votes |
  • Santa Monica, CA
Replied Apr 9 2013, 21:50

I thank you indeed.
I'm enrolled with Kaplan, any suggestions?

User Stats

Votes
James Park
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Johns Creek, GA
Replied Apr 10 2013, 06:35

I took the exam in 2011. I am not sure about you guys, but it was a tough exam for me.

I received a 72 the first time after studying with Allied, then I attended the RETrainersca in Santa Ana, CA and worked through all 1500 questions and I was better prepared to pass my second time.

The cool thing about the CA broker license... is that most states will reciprocate the CA broker license, but California will not reciprocate with any state. That's how i got my GA broker license.

Good luck to you. I am so glad that i never have to sit through that 5 hour exam again in my life, in my case 10 hours.

User Stats

Votes
Karen Margrave
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
Votes |
  • Redding, CA & Bend OR
ModeratorReplied Apr 10 2013, 08:05

Aqaab Z If you go to the DRE website, there is a breakdown of the percentage of questions for each category. Be sure to know Trust Account information inside and out. Law, Ethics, and the basic differences on Fair Housing, Civil Rights Act, etc. Know your disclosure information. Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Vanessa Zhang
  • Temple City, CA
Votes |
  • Temple City, CA
Replied Aug 4 2015, 16:25

When I retake the exam, will it be exactly the same questions? Failed mine with a 74% a week ago, going to retake it in a week. Please advise thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Vanessa Zhang
  • Temple City, CA
Votes |
  • Temple City, CA
Replied Aug 5 2015, 11:52
Originally posted by @James Park:

I took the exam in 2011. I am not sure about you guys, but it was a tough exam for me.

I received a 72 the first time after studying with Allied, then I attended the RETrainersca in Santa Ana, CA and worked through all 1500 questions and I was better prepared to pass my second time.

The cool thing about the CA broker license... is that most states will reciprocate the CA broker license, but California will not reciprocate with any state. That's how i got my GA broker license.

Good luck to you. I am so glad that i never have to sit through that 5 hour exam again in my life, in my case 10 hours.

James when you retook the exam was it exactly like the first time? I'm retaking mine next week after failing it with a 74% last week. Please advise thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Dmitriy L.
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Apr 14 2016, 20:28

Passing California real estate broker exam is pretty easy if you follow correct study strategy. 

1) Take prep class, it's worth taking it one time.

2) Read through the book once only

3) Mark correct answer for all of the question in the back of book. Don't bother actually answering the questions and only re- read section if you really are confused on the topic

4) Memorize the question and answers.

5) When you take exam first time, don't worry about passing the exam, that is not why you are there. Instead memorize the questions that seem hard to you. The more you memorize the better chances to pass it second time

6) Write down question that you memorize after section 1 and section 2

7) Assuming you failed the test, re register for new exam as soon as you can and take it as soon as you can. The reason you want to do this is creating new exam is expensive, they generally use same exam booklets for few weeks to a month. If you lucky, you will get exact same test. 

8) Enjoy your license and go make some money.