I dont use scripts or elevator pitches. In fact Im sort of the opposite...Im selective about who I work with. Im not trying to sell my services to someone, but rather finding out if the other person is worth my time to work with. I think if you turn things around, and have that mind set it will help you grow your business quite a bit.
I can respect that. I was just wondering about good ice breakers you use when networking, how you guys present yourself when asked the inevitable "What do you do".
I dont need an ice breaker when people ask me what I do. "Im a real estate agent and investor"....then they have 1,000 questions to ask me. Everyone I meet wants to ask me about the market, or do you flip houses, or do you hate being a landlord etc.
Wholesaler · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2015 · 459 posts · 245 votes
10y
@Jerome Harrod II that's not lame!! It works for me everytime I'm at a rei meetup in Lanham or any meeting I go to. Here's mine - "Hi my name is James Green, I'm a wholesaler! I cover NoVA to Baltimore" I get cards are criteria every time from cash buyers, investor friendly realtors, and other area wholesalers.
Real Estate Broker · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 607 votes
10y
I think you need to pick an approach that fits your personality. I love going to REIA meetings to network, learn, and meet interesting people. Some of the more aggressive folks at these meetings turn me off, so I don't want to be one of those people. I introduce myself, and it will usually come out that I'm an investor and realtor. Most of my investor clients have come from a combination of people liking me and/or demonstrated proficiency in what they want to invest in. Build relationships, and business should arise from them. I know, many agent coaches would argue that's way too passive an approach. Then again, I got my license to augment my investing business, not to become a top producer.
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
10y
I dont use scripts or elevator pitches. In fact Im sort of the opposite...Im selective about who I work with. Im not trying to sell my services to someone, but rather finding out if the other person is worth my time to work with. I think if you turn things around, and have that mind set it will help you grow your business quite a bit.
Real Estate Agent · Falls Church · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
@Jerome Harrod II as always I think @Russell Brazil has some god advice. In my opinion a normal conversation where you ask questions that let the other person talk a majority of the time will get you more results than hitting someone with a canned speech. In my own opinion an "elevator pitch" is better suited for a product you want to sell as quick as possible because the potential customer is about to run away as soon as the elevator stops. Real estate is more about relationships that are built over a period of time.
So if you're at a meeting and you overhear me talking about MMA, and you are genuinely interested in MMA introduce yourself, and start talking to me about it. Then I'm instantly going to think you're a cool guy, and eventually the conversation will get around to business and you can find out if I'm even someone you want to work with. If you don't want to work with me, no problem, you still leave the conversation with me thinking you're a good guy. Hope that helps :)
I dont use scripts or elevator pitches. In fact Im sort of the opposite...Im selective about who I work with. Im not trying to sell my services to someone, but rather finding out if the other person is worth my time to work with. I think if you turn things around, and have that mind set it will help you grow your business quite a bit.
I can respect that. I was just wondering about good ice breakers you use when starting the conversation, like how you guys present yourself when asked the inevitable "What do you do".
@Jerome Harrod II as always I think @Russell Brazil has some god advice. In my opinion a normal conversation where you ask questions that let the other person talk a majority of the time will get you more results than hitting someone with a canned speech. In my own opinion an "elevator pitch" is better suited for a product you want to sell as quick as possible because the potential customer is about to run away as soon as the elevator stops. Real estate is more about relationships that are built over a period of time.
So if you're at a meeting and you overhear me talking about MMA, and you are genuinely interested in MMA introduce yourself, and start talking to me about it. Then I'm instantly going to think you're a cool guy, and eventually the conversation will get around to business and you can find out if I'm even someone you want to work with. If you don't want to work with me, no problem, you still leave the conversation with me thinking you're a good guy. Hope that helps :)
Thats cool thinking! While the goal was more on gathering ideas on how to introduce myself rather than selling myself, you do have a point. Relationship first, Business will come naturally.
I think you need to pick an approach that fits your personality. I love going to REIA meetings to network, learn, and meet interesting people. Some of the more aggressive folks at these meetings turn me off, so I don't want to be one of those people. I introduce myself, and it will usually come out that I'm an investor and realtor. Most of my investor clients have come from a combination of people liking me and/or demonstrated proficiency in what they want to invest in. Build relationships, and business should arise from them. I know, many agent coaches would argue that's way too passive an approach. Then again, I got my license to augment my investing business, not to become a top producer.
Yeah, I don't like overly aggressive people at meetings either! I just want to state who I'am and What I do in a concise but interesting manner that encourages conversation. I like your style, so your not alone. I myself call that "passive" style, being "relational".
I dont use scripts or elevator pitches. In fact Im sort of the opposite...Im selective about who I work with. Im not trying to sell my services to someone, but rather finding out if the other person is worth my time to work with. I think if you turn things around, and have that mind set it will help you grow your business quite a bit.
I can respect that. I was just wondering about good ice breakers you use when networking, how you guys present yourself when asked the inevitable "What do you do".
I dont need an ice breaker when people ask me what I do. "Im a real estate agent and investor"....then they have 1,000 questions to ask me. Everyone I meet wants to ask me about the market, or do you flip houses, or do you hate being a landlord etc.
@Jerome Harrod II that's not lame!! It works for me everytime I'm at a rei meetup in Lanham or any meeting I go to. Here's mine - "Hi my name is James Green, I'm a wholesaler! I cover NoVA to Baltimore" I get cards are criteria every time from cash buyers, investor friendly realtors, and other area wholesalers.
Thanks James! I like yours too. Short, Sweet, and Effective.
I dont use scripts or elevator pitches. In fact Im sort of the opposite...Im selective about who I work with. Im not trying to sell my services to someone, but rather finding out if the other person is worth my time to work with. I think if you turn things around, and have that mind set it will help you grow your business quite a bit.
I can respect that. I was just wondering about good ice breakers you use when networking, how you guys present yourself when asked the inevitable "What do you do".
I dont need an ice breaker when people ask me what I do. "Im a real estate agent and investor"....then they have 1,000 questions to ask me. Everyone I meet wants to ask me about the market, or do you flip houses, or do you hate being a landlord etc.
That's great. Sounds like you've been around the block and got everything covered. I guess just saying "I'm a realtor and investor" alone doesn't match my style. I kinda want my intro to have a kick that gauges interest since, I'm the new guy and everyone knows a realtor and/or investor. You know?
Investor · Ashburn, VA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 24 votes
10y
In our case it's easiest when you know what type of investors you want to meet. We make goals for each meeting to build our connections in specific ways. For example, we are currently looking for buy-and-holders in certain zip codes so when we meet people we introduce ourselves, then we ask what type of investing a person does and in what areas. If they are not what we are looking for we ask them if they were looking for a specific type of investor themselves (and many are). We talk a little, exchange information and (if the person is a person we have been looking for) we ask if they would like to have coffee. If they agree we write it as well as other info from the meeting on the back of their business cards. When we get back we add all of the cards to our database and we send them all notes. For those who we will have coffee with we call.