Multi-family, Duplex, Triplex.

Multi-family, Duplex, Triplex.

Cleveland, OH · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 23 votes

As I've been educating myself in the world of REI, I've decided I'd like my first investment to be a duplex (most likely). From all the info that I've gathered from everyone's post and experience they are a better way of producing cash flow than a single family home.

My question lies in the quality of renter multi-family homes draw. Personally I wouldnt make that my first choice unless I was the owner living "for free" in the other unit for a period of time. So, assuming typical rents are younger or lower income producing families, are the upsides of owning a multi enough to outweigh the possible downsides of headaches tenants worth it? I understand that there are a multitude of variables that affect a situation like this, but I'd love to hear the input from the guys with experience in this! Have you had difficulty with vacancy because duplex living is less desirable or am I just a snob??
Thanks in advance guys!

0Reply
9 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · soldotna, AK · Member since 2011 · 69 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    Small multis is all we own, 20+ units, less than 5% vacancy.

    I think your on the right track.

    Go for it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.