Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate Agent

User Stats

Votes

This doesn’t make sense.

Blaise Peterson
Posted Jun 10 2024, 19:29

My sister in law wants to sell three sf rentals in Spokane. Her management company is telling her that listing the property using an outside agent means the property is being represented by two agents—the PM and the sellers agent. The manager said this isn’t allowed and that she would need to terminate the management agreement before it’s listed.

I’ve sold a fair number of properties that are professionally managed and it’s always been a cooperative arrangement between the PMand my agent.

Can someone please help me understand what’s going on?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Bosco
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • New Hampshire & Maine
Votes |
Pro Member
  • New Hampshire & Maine
Replied Jun 10 2024, 19:42

It depends on their contractual management. They may need a notice to quit their services, which may include listing. better to follow up on documentation to verify. 

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 10 2024, 19:47
Quote from @Andrew Bosco:

It depends on their contractual management. They may need a notice to quit their services, which may include listing. better to follow up on documentation to verify. 

Her management agreement says the PM gets 1% of the sales price is she sells it. This 1% is waived if it’s sold using the PMs broker. 
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Phil Wells
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spokane, WA & North Idaho
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Spokane, WA & North Idaho
Replied Jun 10 2024, 20:37
Quote from @Blaise Peterson:

My sister in law wants to sell three sf rentals in Spokane. Her management company istelling her that listing the property using an outside agent means the property is being represented by two agents—the PM and the sellers agent. The manager said this isn’t allowed and that she would need to terminate the management agreement before it’s listed.

I’ve sold a fair number of properties that are professionally managed and it’s always been a cooperative arrangement between the PMand my agent.

I haven’t seen it personally but I imagine it’s some kind of “use us to sell or pay a penalty” clause. Terminate the contract and sell. Seems like a no brainer. 

Not legal advice, you do you.

Phil Wells Real Estate Logo

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#2 General Landlording & Rental Properties Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 10 2024, 20:46

I'd read their contract, but your sister hired the PM to manage her property, not to sell it.  If it says they get 1%, then that is what she agreed to.  What happens if she fires them and then lists it?  Does she still have to pay that 1%?

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 10 2024, 21:40
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

I'd read their contract, but your sister hired the PM to manage her property, not to sell it.  If it says they get 1%, then that is what she agreed to.  What happens if she fires them and then lists it?  Does she still have to pay that 1%?

The contract says that if she sells it within 90 days following the termination of the contract, she owes 1%. 

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 10 2024, 21:52

I’m confused by the PM’s statement that the property would be represented by two agents, which is not permitted. To me, the Agreement’s 1% clause implies that an outside sellers agent is permissible. 
I only do commercial RE and don't have experience with SFs. Is this an NAR rule that applies to SFs? Is it a Spokane thing?

User Stats

Votes
Joe Norman
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Investor, Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jun 11 2024, 03:11

It sounds plausible to me, if PMs are required to be licensed real estate broker/salesperson in WA, that the Property Management Agreement may include an Exclusive Right to List. This is probably a good question to take to a local real estate broker.

User Stats

Votes
Jaron Walling
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jun 11 2024, 05:34

No offense but that clause is a genius by the PM company. Nobody wants to willingly hold a vacant property for 90 days before selling. 

User Stats

Votes
Drew Sygit
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
Property Manager
Agent
#2 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Royal Oak, MI
Replied Jun 12 2024, 06:25

@Blaise Peterson from a PMC point of view:

If the property is vacant, we'd just terminate the contract, because there's nothing really to manage and we don't just want to be used cut the grass.

If tenant-occupied, there's a host of liability issues for a PMC if owner hires another agent to list for sale:

1) Who knows what transgressions the Owner's agent will cause with the tenant while showing it, possibly resulting in the owner and the PMC getting sued.
-Why would a PMC want to assume the risk of a lawsuit?

2) The Owner's agent will want to show the property at a moments notice, which sellers bend over backwards to do, but tenants have no incentive to cooperate with. Depending on how abrasive the agent is, this may have a major negative impact on the PMC-Tenant relationship.

3) In general, the Owner's agent will throw the PMC under the bus for everything they can to avoid accountability.

So, there's often a conflict of interest and a smart PMC will look to terminate their management if an owner hire's another agent for a sale.

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 12 2024, 07:27
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

@Blaise Peterson from a PMC point of view:

If the property is vacant, we'd just terminate the contract, because there's nothing really to manage and we don't just want to be used cut the grass.

If tenant-occupied, there's a host of liability issues for a PMC if owner hires another agent to list for sale:

1) Who knows what transgressions the Owner's agent will cause with the tenant while showing it, possibly resulting in the owner and the PMC getting sued.
-Why would a PMC want to assume the risk of a lawsuit?

2) The Owner's agent will want to show the property at a moments notice, which sellers bend over backwards to do, but tenants have no incentive to cooperate with. Depending on how abrasive the agent is, this may have a major negative impact on the PMC-Tenant relationship.

3) In general, the Owner's agent will throw the PMC under the bus for everything they can to avoid accountability.

So, there's often a conflict of interest and a smart PMC will look to terminate their management if an owner hire's another agent for a sale.

Great answer. Thanks Drew

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied Jun 13 2024, 04:46

That's a pretty common clause I see in PM contracts.  I get it.  The PM is dealing with the tenant while another party is trying to market and show it to buyers.  Nobody is probably happy with that arrangement...PM, listing agent or the tenant.

I'm thinking you have 2 choices.  Either terminate the PM (and potentially pay a termination fee.) or use them to list and sell the property.

User Stats

Votes
Hersh Shah
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Agent
  • Realtor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Jun 13 2024, 12:08

My sister in law wants to sell three sf rentals in Spokane. Her management company is telling her that listing the property using an outside agent means the property is being represented by two agents—the PM and the sellers agent. The manager said this isn’t allowed and that she would need to terminate the management agreement before it’s listed.

There usually is a clause in most agreements that the PM gets to charge a commission if the tenant buys the property. Verify that the 1% applies to any and ALL transactions. If that is the case, then those are the terms your sister agreed to. Is it right? Not in my opinion.

I've sold plenty of properties for clients who have management agreements in place and they are always cooperative. My property managers will also send the client back to us because we originally referred them for the management.

Different models for all. Find a way to work with them and if they won't have it, work without them.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Bill B.#2 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Jun 13 2024, 12:53

Is there a reason she doesn’t want to list with her PM? Mine offers a discounted rate when I used them. (On both the buy/sell commissions and 6% of rent collected vs 8% on the newly purchased property.)

They’ve got marketing down, they’ve got the pictures and the contacts. 

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 13 2024, 15:14
Quote from @Bill B.:

Is there a reason she doesn’t want to list with her PM? Mine offers a discounted rate when I used them. (On both the buy/sell commissions and 6% of rent collected vs 8% on the newly purchased property.)

They’ve got marketing down, they’ve got the pictures and the contacts.

My understanding is that the PM she originally signed on with was a do-all shop. A few years ago, it was bought by a PM franchise. Of course the franchise is owned by a broker but there is no indication that he/she has ever sold a property. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry T.
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 14 2024, 09:54

For me, who has never used property management, this is very enlightening.  I never considered this could be an issue. I always assumed ending a PM contract would be a no brainer, but here you're on the hook if you have plans to sell.  Yikes.

User Stats

Votes
Blaise Peterson
Replied Jun 14 2024, 12:24
Quote from @Henry T.:

For me, who has never used property management, this is very enlightening.  I never considered this could be an issue. I always assumed ending a PM contract would be a no brainer, but here you're on the hook if you have plans to sell.  

Two of the three houses she wants to sell have tenants so she is kind of forced to sell to an investor/wholesaler unless she wants to wait til next year when the leases are up. This is a lot less money than if she were to sell to  a homeowner. She doesn’t want to wait til next year so it is stressful that her PM isn’t being friendly. Shes been with them since 2009 so you’d expect a little help. 

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jun 14 2024, 13:17

Has she talked to them about selling the place?  She can ask them for copies of properties they recently sold, list price, sales price and days on the market.  I'd get another realtor in to also do a market comparison and compare what the two say.