Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Agent
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lunceford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Votes |
Owner financed offers on my listings

Dustin Lunceford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Posted

I have had a good bit of investment property listed over the last year.  I have recently received calls/verbal offers on a few of my properties that have me scratching my head.  Each of these offers has been $20,000-30,000 over the asking price with owner financing.  I have asked if someone is teaching this offer structure and one person said it's common in land and the other explained it as a win-win situation.  I asked questions of the win-win buyer and after a little back and forth, it seemed like the buyer is just overpaying for the property to get owner financing.  My two question are:

Have other agents had similar type offers on any listings? 
What am I missing that makes this a desireable offer structure?

Neighbor House Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Taken
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

The big thing here is not involving a bank but rather making you the bank. If the buyer's strategy is to hold long term, and they are getting favorable interest or payment terms, and the value supports, offering more than ask isn't necessarily a bad thing for them.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

It is used mostly for land, so more common in rural areas. It is also more common in less expensive areas.   I have purchased land/structures using owner financing on multiple occasions.  In each scenario I could have obtained conventional financing but chose against.  It is common to offer above asking price to sweeten the pot as many owners would simply rather collect the cash upfront.

What makes it a desirable offer structure?

For the Buyer - In most cases the buyer cannot obtain conventional financing. In my case I wanted to keep the properties off the grid to avoid messing with my DTI ratio.

For the Seller - I can only think of a few reasons a seller would prefer this route.  There could be tax benefits in waiting a few years for the bulk of the money. For example if one was close to retirement they may find themselves in a much lower tax bracket. 

Banks may be unwilling to finance.  Maybe the property is priced above actual value or it sits on a toxic waste site.

In most cases there are no inspections done on owner financed properties.  This could be beneficial if the property is distressed or has issues.

Usually the seller can ask for a higher than market interest rate.

And the last reason is it increases your potential market. 

From my experience I would avoid it as a seller unless I was getting a large down payment, a larger purchase price, or a higher than market interest rate.  Or a combination of all three.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lunceford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Replied

@Jason Taken Thanks!  I'm familiar with owner financing and the benefits.  These purchase prices offered are not supported by the value of the properties.  I would expect all of these properties to appraisal close to the asking price.  

Neighbor House Logo

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lunceford
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, MS
Replied

@Joshua VanName Thanks!  I'm familiar with owner financing.  When offer on off market properties, I usually include a cash prices and financed prices.  The part that is most confusing is the offer price.  I get that offering over is sweetening the deal for the seller.  On the land deals are you paying interest?  

Also, the listings I have received these offers on are all in a good part of town, priced competitively with comps or a completed appraisal, and either recently renovated or not needing much updating.  Targeting distressed properties and making creative offers makes total sense.  If there was room to increase the value after purchase, then I would understand the approach.  I am confused by the idea of paying 10% over the value of a property just because it is an owner financed deal.

Neighbor House Logo