Becoming A Real Estate Agent: typical splits/ compensation for a new RE Agent on team

Becoming A Real Estate Agent: typical splits/ compensation for a new RE Agent on team

Bryn Mawr, PA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 0 votes

Hi All,

I am an experienced investor/landlord who is ready to leave his 16 year job. I want to gain more access and credibility in the real estate market, and like the idea of uncapped income potential as a realtor (my old hourly medical job was capped). I have a friend who is a successful realtor of 16 years and was thinking of joining his team. I am awaiting the actual pay breakdown to be able to project some type of income. What is a typical pay breakdown? His team seems it would provide a lot of support and potential clients/listing so I imagine the split between sales is higher for more support. I just want to know how it went for you as a realtor when you started out, what is typical? What is to be expected of me/the team?

Thanks!

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

You nailed it - "it depends"

If you're just looking to do some rough projections, then I would assume a 50/50 split between you and the team (and don't forget to include whatever you owe your broker in your projections). I would expect that the actual split could be 50/50 +/- 20 depending on things like the level of administrative support, lead source, and volume.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    You nailed it - "it depends"

    If you're just looking to do some rough projections, then I would assume a 50/50 split between you and the team (and don't forget to include whatever you owe your broker in your projections). I would expect that the actual split could be 50/50 +/- 20 depending on things like the level of administrative support, lead source, and volume.

    Good luck!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    On a team or at a major brokerage, 50% is a pretty typical split for a new agent. Lower if its a team/brokerage generated lead/client. Listing side on a major team could be as low as 35% Ive seen. 

    Generally it's a pretty good idea to start on a team. For comparison sake, when I got into the business as a solo agent I did 1 deal my 1st year. A brand new agent on my team averages 15 deals in their first year. The average full time solo experienced agent doesnt even do that many deals a year.

  • Real Estate Broker · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2023 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    In this situation I have typically seen a 50/50 split.  This may seem high at first glance but if they are providing you leads that actually close it is 100% worth it.  What people don't realize when they become a realtor is that 80% of the job is lead generation.  Yes it's important to have someone show you the ropes but if you don't have leads coming in especially when you are new it's very difficult to survive.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.