first property questions and FHA changes

first property questions and FHA changes

Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 1 vote

hello everyone,

first off, thank you for taking a minute to read my post and i appreciate any suggestions you choose to offer. This is my first actual post to BP! so to start off and briefly describe my situation, i am in the stage of education myself and learning as much as possible about RE. I have some outstanding debt that i am paying off in the coming months, then after a savings period to build up a cash sum to invest, plan on purchasing my first property.

Since that is a ways off, i want to sort out what path i want to take. I had originally planned to purchase a SFH or small multifamily, if possible, with a FHA loan (for low down payment), then rent out the other units for cash flow, but I did some brief reading into the changes for FHA pertaining to the MIP insurance now requiring payments for the full term of the loan, rather than just the first 5 years, and I am wondering if that would be a viable option in the long run, or if it would be better to save up 20% (which at my income currently would be rather difficult, as i am saving at about 1/1.25k a month after paying off debt.) Would refi after hitting 20% to tradtional loan prevent the extra expense of permanent MIP payments, or do you thing the interest rate will have gone up enough in that time frame to not be useful.

I am currently living with my dad and am only paying ~200/month( I am 21, forgot to mention, lol), but thats actually because he and my grandmother were both unemployed, so i moved in to help with expenses, (having been living in my own apartment before that), and their finances are now in order, hence my desire to move into my first purchase. My followup question is this, due to my increased expenses from moving out again, would it be smarter to find a cheap smaller apartment and rent out all units in the property to provide better cashflow. My job would allow me to pay for all the costs of ownership even if i was living in one of the units, leaving the other to pay for upkeep (using 50% rule, and would still leave roughly 100-150 in positive cashflow if i am paying for mortgage... however if i could find cheaper housing, i could rent both units, and have slightly higher cashflow, but then being able to use my salary to continue saving for a second property.

I understand that patience is key, however, if i choose to invest in RE, i dont want to wait for several years before I am able to get a second property and start so see some useful profits. I like the idea of living in the property and renting out the rest, however unless i were to find a very good deal on a triplex, or somehow effectively and consistently rent out a SFH with several bedrooms, I am finding that cash flow would be <$200 a month if i live there, yet if i could find a cheap enough apartment, at least temporarily, the increase cashflow would offset the my living expenses (paid solely by my salary) and result in double the cash flow for the property.

anyway sorry to ramble on, i just started most of my interest and research in the last month, so i was a little nervous for my first post :) thanks again for your thoughts everyone!!!

p.s. a little about my market, since that would be useful for more specific responses. I live in Lafayette, Indiana, and am near Purdue University, ~40,000 students, so SFH could be more easily rented to well screened tenants if property is near enough campus. SFH with 3/5 bedrooms are reasonably available for between 50-85K, however actual duplex etc properties are limited and in the 90-130k range) with 2br's going at 600-700 in rent and 3br going at 750-850

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Welcome to BP Stephen!

    On the FHA I know what you are talking about with the MIP being for the life of the loan. I am not extremely familiar with all the specifics of the changes, but if you refi out into a conventional loan at 80% LTV the monthly MIP will be gone. The one kicker here is that new FHA loans have two types of MIP an upfront charge and a monthly payment. The upfront charge will be added to your loan value. So say you buy a property for 50K and put 5K down, you will have a loan of 45K plus the upfront charge for this example we'll say 1K. So your loan will start slightly higher than your actual purchase amount. That will be the amount of money you need for your refi, so there is no way to get that back. The monthly MIP will go away when you pay off the FHA loan with your new conventional loan.

    As far as your asking about the apartment idea. I got a little lost in what you were asking, but after rereading I think I understand. You want to buy the property and then instead of moving in just get a cheap apartment and rent out your home, correct? That will not be doable FHA is for owner occupied properties, so doing what you asked about would be mortgage fraud as you will have to live there to satisfy the OO requirement. Now after a year once you've met the requirement then you can move out if you'd like.

    I wouldn't worry about the interest rates right now, no one has a crystal ball that can tell where they are going and when. Make a plan to accomplish what you'd like with the information you have now, and then adjust as things change. If possible keep living with family to get your down payment saved as quickly as possible and then get a property when you can.

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2013 · 64 posts · 1 vote
    13y

    @Matt Devincenzo Yeah, sorry for the confusion about the post, its late and didnt realize how poorly that read, my apologies.

    If i were to try and get a cheap apartment, then it would not be an FHA loan, so I am not trying to commit fraud. I know you can get conventional loans for as little as 5% down, is this an exceptional credit type situation and something i shouldn't expect? I wouldnt mind paying PMI on a conventional loan if it meant an additional ~$600 gross in rent from me not living there, however, most duplexes around here are $85k+, so 20% down payment would not be feasible, no matter how good a deal.

    Its looking like i will probably try and get a 3BR SFH, which if i can get a decent enough deal on, could probably put down a better down payment, right now i will be saving $1250 a month but at that rate, 20% down would take a long time to save up for.

  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    No worries I see what you were thinking. So even with conventional there are two types or categories of loan "owner occupied" and "non owner occupied". OO obviously is if you plan on living there, and they usually have less stringent requirements for underwriting and a lower interest rate. NOO require a higher down payment, verification of cash reserves and are about .5-1% higher rate. I don't know of any NOO that will do less than 20-25% down. They may exist I just haven't seen any.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.