Student Nurse Interested in RE

Student Nurse Interested in RE

Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes

Hello,

I am currently in nursing school and gaining an interest in RE investing for passive income. I still have 3 semesters before I graduate and currently have only a few thousand in capital. I was looking for advice on a path to start (certain books, webinars, or general advice for a starter)

Thank you!

4Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
5y

Welcome to BP @Ryan Baker! Great to have you.  Definitely have a solid education basis before jumping in.  You don't want to go in blind, because then you could be making an irrational and uneducated investment that ends up costing you too much to salvage.  Podcasts, books, youtube, these forums, etc., are all great resources.  Find a market that interests you, find a strategy that you think you could pull off, and begin networking.  Meet Realtors/lenders/contractors/PMs in markets you are looking at, and continue to narrow your search until you find the right, first property

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    House hack! Great way to get started.

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Taylor L.

    Thank you!

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 11 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Baker do you have an idea as to your target neighborhood? Finding a low cost area in a higher wealth city can be a good region to flip in. If you'd like to explore different areas, would love to help you, PM me.

  • Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 296 votes
    5y

    Welcome to BP @Ryan Baker! Great to have you.  Definitely have a solid education basis before jumping in.  You don't want to go in blind, because then you could be making an irrational and uneducated investment that ends up costing you too much to salvage.  Podcasts, books, youtube, these forums, etc., are all great resources.  Find a market that interests you, find a strategy that you think you could pull off, and begin networking.  Meet Realtors/lenders/contractors/PMs in markets you are looking at, and continue to narrow your search until you find the right, first property

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Learn your market and learn to market.  You can go a long way with those 2 skills.

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Brendan Ashworth thank you, I live in the DC metro area so there are some lower cost areas outside the city

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Ian Walsh thank you!

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Joshua Noth thank you for the great advice

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Baker It's great to hear your close to gaining your degree in the nursing field and wanting to dip your toe in the real estate industry! I personally am in a similar boat, as I have not invested as of yet, but I can recommend ways to learn via books and videos. I will post them below in an easy format.

          - Rich Dad Poor Dad. This is so cliche, but this book gives you a different perspective on gaining wealth. 

          - Profit like the Pros. Ken Corsini wrote such a great book that has the best deals from investors all over different niches in real estate. This can show you a real-life application to what you want to do.

    - Go to local REIA's. Here you can meet seasoned investors who can mentor or guide you in the right direction.

          - YouTube is huge. Check out basics from BiggerPocket's channel, Mark Ferguson, and less popular content creators on more specific topics

    Keep learning and pursuing your career and your side hustle of real estate and you will do just fine!

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Grey Drummonds thank you! Just finished reading Rich Dad Poor Dad. It was great, i will definitely check out the others. Thanks for the encouragement

  • Real Estate Agent · San DIego · Member since 2019 · 177 posts · 185 votes
    5y

    When you graduate, you will have many excellent job opportunites and the time in school will count as time in the career, so it will be fairly easy to get a first time buyer home loan.  

     If I were you, I'd use this time to build my down payment and savings buffer, and target your future job market location.  I'd also scout the first time home buyer incentives available.  A good lender will help you with that.  Then, when you get your job, buy a home or condo with a minimum of 2 bedroom.  Live in one, rent out the other(s).  Your roomate will help you pay the bills.  

     Two years later, regroup and decide if you're staying or getting another.   At the two year mark, you will have fulfilled your owner occupied lender requirement and be eligible for capital gains exclusions by satisfying the residency requirements of 2 out of 5 years as your primary dwelling.  

  • Fairfax, VA · Member since 2021 · 8 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @JJ P. Wow thank you for such good advice. This is definitely something I will do!

  • Steven MayBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 250 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Baker

    I read a ton of financial related and real estate focused books my last semester of nursing school. Dug into BP podcasts and the forums a lot as well.

    Bought my first SFH when I had about 2 months left of nursing school. It will be hard to get a loan if you don't have any income currently but wholesaling or getting your license are two options.

    House hacking 100% should be your first move. I house hacked for 8 months while I was in nursing residency in the ICU. Then went and bought my second. Now I’m a part time nurse with 4 rentals and a full time realtor. Nursing is a great profession for the flexibility it gives.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2020 · 758 posts · 285 votes
    5y

    Know your goals and learn your market.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.