Do we need a website when starting out?

Do we need a website when starting out?

Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes

There have been tons of posts overtime with this question, but I feel like it needs a refresh for 2021 with all of our recent technological advancements 2 year old posts just don't cut it for new and aspiring marketers and investors looking to land their first deal.

So I start this topic with a few questions in mind;

1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

I am sure there are some other questions i could ask, but I couldn't think of any. Hopefully this topic is seen as helpful to others and myself included and I look forward to seeing what some of the top players have to say about this.

Thanks and as usual, wishing you all the best!

1Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 54 votes
5y

@Ryan Talmadge I use kartra for my agency and carrot for my investing business. The benefit of Carrot is in the SEO. They have a proven process to rank well with the backend tech and tools to support it. Free leads basically. 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    I plan to start Direct Mail within the next month

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    One thing at a time, I feel like at my point in my career, a website isn't necessary. Once I have several properties then yes. I'm also not sending out mass mail, but rather targeting individual owners.

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    I do not have experience in SEO.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Yes, many sellers are still selling via cold call. I've helped several clients this way.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    As of right now, no. I think once a team is established then maybe a website would be necessary.

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    I would not recommend spending $1000 on a website. I'd use it for more marketing or a down payment on an investment property.

  • Specialist · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    Yes and Yes. Handwritten letters tend to work the best.

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Yes and No. Can you get some deals off just sending letters and answering calls. Yes, probably so, but your acquisition cost will be much higher. A website is a HUGE credibility factor. PRO TIP: If you didn't want to go the website route, you could always just get a GMB, verify & optimize it, get a domain name and redirect all the traffic to the GMB and that will act as your credibility factor.

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Only doing SEO at this time and yes. 95% of our leads and deals are from SEO. Always the most motivated type of leads.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Haven't done it in a long time but know plenty of guys still doing it with success.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    See my answer to question #2. Same thing applies

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and what would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    Investor Carrot website. Be sure to tweak it, change copy, add pictures/logo, reviews, etc. Don't just use it "out of the box" and not change anything. Also, while it is possible, I wouldn't recommend trying to save a little money and building a site yourself if you have no prior website building experience. You'll waste a lot of time and energy figuring all that out when you could just get a Carrot website and be done for the most part. 

    Hopefully that helps a little. Good luck with everything. 

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    I have in the past, not currently. They were inconsistent and I didn't enjoy the management. None in a few years. 

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Website helps add credibility, but also makes tracking less reliable. They see your postcard, go to your site and you aren't sure if its an SEO lead or from your postcard. I have not seen any reliable studies that show a website boosts direct mail rates, but it may exist. 

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Yes for both. I run PPC for dozens of investors and it's not 100% successful, but most are netting a lot of money, over six-figures per year. I run SEO for my own business and get about 4-6 deals per year doing nothing. 

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Never tried, too much work. 

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    n/a

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    Carrot.com and use that money for Carrot.com, their SEO course, and any VA help on the SEO work if you can't do it on your own.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Brown:

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    I plan to start Direct Mail within the next month

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    One thing at a time, I feel like at my point in my career, a website isn't necessary. Once I have several properties then yes. I'm also not sending out mass mail, but rather targeting individual owners.

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    I do not have experience in SEO.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Yes, many sellers are still selling via cold call. I've helped several clients this way.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    As of right now, no. I think once a team is established then maybe a website would be necessary.

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    I would not recommend spending $1000 on a website. I'd use it for more marketing or a down payment on an investment property.

     Good stuff brotha! I am wishing you much success in your business and on your journey! You got this!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jason Moss:

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    Yes and Yes. Handwritten letters tend to work the best.

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Yes and No. Can you get some deals off just sending letters and answering calls. Yes, probably so, but your acquisition cost will be much higher. A website is a HUGE credibility factor. PRO TIP: If you didn't want to go the website route, you could always just get a GMB, verify & optimize it, get a domain name and redirect all the traffic to the GMB and that will act as your credibility factor.

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Only doing SEO at this time and yes. 95% of our leads and deals are from SEO. Always the most motivated type of leads.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Haven't done it in a long time but know plenty of guys still doing it with success.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    See my answer to question #2. Same thing applies

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and what would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    Investor Carrot website. Be sure to tweak it, change copy, add pictures/logo, reviews, etc. Don't just use it "out of the box" and not change anything. Also, while it is possible, I wouldn't recommend trying to save a little money and building a site yourself if you have no prior website building experience. You'll waste a lot of time and energy figuring all that out when you could just get a Carrot website and be done for the most part. 

    Hopefully that helps a little. Good luck with everything. 

     Yeah man I totally agree with you SEO is easily the best assistant you can ever hire. She works 24/7 365 and picks up the pone when google calls her lol.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Oppelt:

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    I have in the past, not currently. They were inconsistent and I didn't enjoy the management. None in a few years. 

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Website helps add credibility, but also makes tracking less reliable. They see your postcard, go to your site and you aren't sure if its an SEO lead or from your postcard. I have not seen any reliable studies that show a website boosts direct mail rates, but it may exist. 

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Yes for both. I run PPC for dozens of investors and it's not 100% successful, but most are netting a lot of money, over six-figures per year. I run SEO for my own business and get about 4-6 deals per year doing nothing. 

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    Never tried, too much work. 

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    n/a

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    Carrot.com and use that money for Carrot.com, their SEO course, and any VA help on the SEO work if you can't do it on your own.

     Hey brotha just a freebie, but you would use a sub-domain that routes to the parent on additional marketing materials and track them that way similar to phone # extensions. (Example: Webuyhouses dot com for website/ sellnowtome dot com on post card routed to webuyhouses do com)

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Talmadge yea that’s a good point. I was mainly referring to situations where you have a branded company name, they get your postcard, then Google your business, find your main ranked page, and reach out that way. But your suggestion would help to minimize that. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Queens, NY · Member since 2013 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    In the past I did and yes I closed deals from letters

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Yes, because it legitimizes your business

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Yes, SEO. I am currently getting 50 -60 leads per month.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    I tried but didnt close any deals.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    N/A

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    carrot  - I have had my carrot site for 3.5 years and love it. But you need to personalize it and add some content to increase conversion rate. IMO they provide the best value when it comes to investor /  wholesaler websites.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Oppelt:

    @Ryan Talmadge yea that’s a good point. I was mainly referring to situations where you have a branded company name, they get your postcard, then Google your business, find your main ranked page, and reach out that way. But your suggestion would help to minimize that. 

     Yeah, it's hard to 100% minimize. Have you been seeing success with branded postcards? I always felt like you want to minimize steps and limit leads to a phone interaction. So I don't put anything but a picture of the house on my post card along with benefits of selling to me and a hot number to call.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alan L.:

    1. Are you running Direct mail campaigns and have they been successful?

    In the past I did and yes I closed deals from letters

    2. Do you feel like a website is necessary for successful direct mail campaigns?

    Yes, because it legitimizes your business

    3. Are you finding much success with your adwords and SEO campaigns?

    Yes, SEO. I am currently getting 50 -60 leads per month.

    4. Have you seen much success with cold calling?

    I tried but didnt close any deals.

    5. Do you notice a need for website with relation to your cold calling business?

    N/A

    6. If you have a website how did you build it and hat would your recommend for someone just starting with a budget of let's say $1000?

    carrot  - I have had my carrot site for 3.5 years and love it. But you need to personalize it and add some content to increase conversion rate. IMO they provide the best value when it comes to investor /  wholesaler websites.

     Interesting I come from advertising and have never really seen the value in carrot other than that it specifically targets the real estate community. I come from clickfunnels and kartra, so I'm curious why you chose carrot over one of those other more well known lead page sources that offer the same, but more?

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    I don’t currently do direct mail but I many leave off the website for that exact reason. 

  • Wholesaler · Newark, DE · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 54 votes
    5y

    @Ryan Talmadge I use kartra for my agency and carrot for my investing business. The benefit of Carrot is in the SEO. They have a proven process to rank well with the backend tech and tools to support it. Free leads basically. 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 108 posts · 68 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Tim Oppelt:

    @Ryan Talmadge I use kartra for my agency and carrot for my investing business. The benefit of Carrot is in the SEO. They have a proven process to rank well with the backend tech and tools to support it. Free leads basically. 

     wow okay, i'm going to have to check it out! thank you dude!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.