Columbus Ohio Market Research

Columbus Ohio Market Research

Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes

Hi Everyone,

I am new-ish to bigger pockets but this is my first post.

 have been doing some high level market research and Columbus Ohio stood out. I was drawn in by it’s population growth with potential to keep growing, landlord friendly laws (from what I have read in the forums), and very reasonable 17% median rent to income ratio. I planned on doing investing from a distance since I live in NYC. While I still need to build a team to help me succeed, I was hoping to get some additional insight into the Columbus market. Does anyone have any reasons or past experiences which makes them like or dislike investing in Columbus?

Thank you in advance for your help!


6Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
5y

@John Mazzella Columbus is a great rental investment market. Cashflow and appreciation are easily achieved in this market with many different great rental areas. I think you're looking in the right place and you will see a lot of folks here on BP that agree. The most important aspect for you as an out of state investor will be to find a team that you trust in Columbus. Best of luck!

Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Following as this market is a geo I'm targeting as well. Thanks, @John Mazzella

  • Jonathan StyerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 396 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella Columbus is a great rental investment market. Cashflow and appreciation are easily achieved in this market with many different great rental areas. I think you're looking in the right place and you will see a lot of folks here on BP that agree. The most important aspect for you as an out of state investor will be to find a team that you trust in Columbus. Best of luck!

    Styer Real Estate Professionals4.941 Reviews
  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Columbus is a solid rental market to get into for oos investing. You already highlighted a lot of the areas in which makes the market attractive. There is also a lot of job diversity which is always good for any market for long-term stability. Good luck! @John Mazzella

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Mazzella:

    Hi Everyone,

    I am new-ish to bigger pockets but this is my first post.

     have been doing some high level market research and Columbus Ohio stood out. I was drawn in by it’s population growth with potential to keep growing, landlord friendly laws (from what I have read in the forums), and very reasonable 17% median rent to income ratio. I planned on doing investing from a distance since I live in NYC. While I still need to build a team to help me succeed, I was hoping to get some additional insight into the Columbus market. Does anyone have any reasons or past experiences which makes them like or dislike investing in Columbus?

    Thank you in advance for your help!


    Columbus is an awesome market! I am born and raised, and know the local market like the back of my hand! Over the past 5 years I have seen industry & population growth in Columbus explode, and effectively it has raised our housing prices.

    I started investing in Columbus OH about 3 years ago, my rental properties have doubled in value over the past couple of years and they produce more than $1,500/month in net passive income!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Mazzella:

    Hi Everyone,

    I am new-ish to bigger pockets but this is my first post.

     have been doing some high level market research and Columbus Ohio stood out. I was drawn in by it’s population growth with potential to keep growing, landlord friendly laws (from what I have read in the forums), and very reasonable 17% median rent to income ratio. I planned on doing investing from a distance since I live in NYC. While I still need to build a team to help me succeed, I was hoping to get some additional insight into the Columbus market. Does anyone have any reasons or past experiences which makes them like or dislike investing in Columbus?

    Thank you in advance for your help!


     I have been investing in Columbus, Ohio for the past 3 years. One of the great things about Columbus is it is very landlord friendly. Pair that with the job and population growth and you cannot afford to invest anywhere else.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Jonathan Styer thank you for the advice, I am focusing on making connections and seeing how I can mutually help others in the market as well. I found this crime heat map of Columbus does this seem directionally correct? Are there neighborhoods

    you might suggest looking and some you would advise against?

  • Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Goldsmith thank you! Have you invested in Columbus yourself? 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Remington Lyman thank you for reinforcing my excitement about the Columbus market. Any suggestions on first steps for a first time OOS investor? I know the team is most important I figure an investor savy realtor should be my first search. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Mazzella:

    @Remington Lyman thank you for reinforcing my excitement about the Columbus market. Any suggestions on first steps for a first time OOS investor? I know the team is most important I figure an investor savy realtor should be my first search. 

     Reach out to a local realtor in Columbus, Ohio

  • Realtor · Napa, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 77 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella, In my research, not only has Columbus been booming with job diversity and population growth but there has been such an uptick in investing that neighborhoods are going through gentrification so one neighborhood that seems infested with crime, may be being bought up by investors and turned into a gem. I have seen several houses on the market that have another investor flipping or rehabbing a house just a door or two down. I think some of the c+ to b- neighborhoods will be coming up and there is a lot of money to be had. 

    With that, I would second what @Remington Lyman said. Reach out to an agent (Any of the ReefCo guys can probably be a great reference point) and speak with them about what you are looking to do. Once you find the one that fits, ask them for referrals on General contractors, Property Management, Lenders, etc. You will find that the Agent is the key stone to the team to help you set it up and like David Greene and Brandon Turner say "Rock stars know and work with Rock stars." Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out and connect with people! 

  • Zeke ListonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @John Mazzella:

    Hi Everyone,

    I am new-ish to bigger pockets but this is my first post.

     have been doing some high level market research and Columbus Ohio stood out. I was drawn in by it’s population growth with potential to keep growing, landlord friendly laws (from what I have read in the forums), and very reasonable 17% median rent to income ratio. I planned on doing investing from a distance since I live in NYC. While I still need to build a team to help me succeed, I was hoping to get some additional insight into the Columbus market. Does anyone have any reasons or past experiences which makes them like or dislike investing in Columbus?

    Thank you in advance for your help!


     That's great John, Columbus has a lot of great opportunities. 

    Forge Real Estate Advisors535 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 82 posts · 133 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella Great Research John, there is a reason so many investors are drawn to our city. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Ronnie Galindo:

    @John Mazzella, In my research, not only has Columbus been booming with job diversity and population growth but there has been such an uptick in investing that neighborhoods are going through gentrification so one neighborhood that seems infested with crime, may be being bought up by investors and turned into a gem. I have seen several houses on the market that have another investor flipping or rehabbing a house just a door or two down. I think some of the c+ to b- neighborhoods will be coming up and there is a lot of money to be had. 

    With that, I would second what @Remington Lyman said. Reach out to an agent (Any of the ReefCo guys can probably be a great reference point) and speak with them about what you are looking to do. Once you find the one that fits, ask them for referrals on General contractors, Property Management, Lenders, etc. You will find that the Agent is the key stone to the team to help you set it up and like David Greene and Brandon Turner say "Rock stars know and work with Rock stars." Good luck and don't hesitate to reach out and connect with people! 

    I agree us guys at Reafco make up the majority of good investor agents in Columbus! 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Ronnie Galindo thank you so much for the advice. I have just set up a meeting with an agent to get the ball rolling. 

  • Realtor · Napa, CA · Member since 2018 · 112 posts · 77 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella Awesome!!! Good luck and if you need anything or just want to chat, hit me up!

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella The numbers in Columbus are fantastic, but it does not tell the entire story of the city, nor does it convey what your actual ROI will be or how your property will perform. There is a lot beyond the anecdotal "Columbus is great" mentality. You have to dig into the data to understand this city (or any city for that matter). And almost all macro data that you are seeing from third party sites is largely inaccurate. I'd be glad to explain this further.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Property Manager · Newark OH Central Ohio · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    @Brandon Sturgill love to talk more we just listed two rentals today in Columbus and are selling of some good income producers if you are interested. Thanks

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella

    Columbus is great for its population and job growth. If you need any help identifying local neighborhoods feel free to reach out.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella Hello there, I'm a newbie looking to invest in Ohio. I'm curious to know if you're already investing and what your thoughts are in this area? Any suggestions for a newbie like me? Thank you! Looking to buy and hold my first rental property.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 68 posts · 37 votes
    5y

    @Martha Rodriguez I actually moved on from the Columbus market. I do believe it is a great market to invest in, but I didn't want to wait to built up the capital it required for down payments. The only suggestion I can give is to get yourself a team experts who can help (realtor, contractor, property manager and lender). Hope this is helpful, good luck!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Martha Rodriguez

    Ohio is a great market with a lot of good sub markets to choose from

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @John Mazzella thank you! I will do that.

  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Marc Rice any good areas or zip codes that you can recommend? Or stay away from? Thank you!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Martha Rodriguez

    I can shoot you a more detailed map that explains the cities. The roughest neighborhoods now are South Linden and Central Hilltop but they have good cash flow

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    @Marc Rice that would be great! Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.