Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Peter O.
Votes |
What is a reasonable ROI?

Peter O.
Posted Nov 13 2020, 15:19

This is my first post here, and I am just starting out, trying to learn, and hoping to make my first purchase, so please be patient if I am asking very basic questions. I just analyzed a property using the Bigger Pockets rental property calculator. I get a CoC ROI of 6.09, and a 5-year annualized return of 15.44. Now, I know that historic stock-market performance is about 7%.

My first question is, which number should I be looking at? Should I be comparing the 7% I will likely get by investing in an index fund versus the 6.09% CoC ROI, or the 15.44% 5-year annualized?

My second question is, are these good numbers? What would you consider to be a minimum return before you buy? After all, any purchase would require a lot of work, both before and after purchase, so I would like to be making more than the stock market to make it worth it.

Thank you in advance for your help. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Eherts
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Nov 13 2020, 15:39

Hi Peter!

You raise some pretty nuanced questions. Comparing real estate returns to the stock market is pretty tough unless you adjust them to reflect risk adjusted returns. Historically, real estate is less volatile than the stock market, and you get more return per unit of risk you take (depending on what you invest in!). That's not a number that can be calculated easily though...

CoC is better related to coupon or dividend investments. Try getting a bond that pays 6%+ these days! I'd say it's a win, but what is a "good" return is relative to your goals. EPS is also very low as Price/Earnings keeps skyrocketing. 15% annualized is pretty nice--does that include a sale?

My current criteria is a 15% internal rate of return and a 6-9% CoC, which accounts for the time-value of money. It looks pretty similar to what you have underwritten in your post.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
#4 All Forums Contributor
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Nov 13 2020, 15:43

This isn't the stock market. Don't analyze it the same way, or compare your investment to it...or use percentages to analyze REI in the first place. 5% profits plus cash flow in your REI should be greater than 15% return in the stock market...from day one...and leave the SM in its dust exponentially.

As far as REI, again, don't measure your REI by "%"...you'd be missing most of what REI has to offer. When you look for your "returns" om REI you should measure them based on those returns accomplishing specific financial goals...YOUR specific financial goals. To that end, each has a specific financial purpose/use. Profit (lump sum returns) should be used to pay off personal (this does NOT include REI mortgages...that's not personal) debt. Cash flow (returns come regularly in pieces) should be used to pay off all your monthly bills. Neither number needed comes in the form of a percentage...they come in dollars...SPECIFIC dollars. So, you should be analyzing the "profits" gained in a RE deal in terms of how they payoff their specific use...not in a percentage.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Peter O.
Votes |
Replied Nov 15 2020, 13:30
Originally posted by @Andrew Eherts:

Hi Peter!

You raise some pretty nuanced questions. Comparing real estate returns to the stock market is pretty tough unless you adjust them to reflect risk adjusted returns. Historically, real estate is less volatile than the stock market, and you get more return per unit of risk you take (depending on what you invest in!). That's not a number that can be calculated easily though...

CoC is better related to coupon or dividend investments. Try getting a bond that pays 6%+ these days! I'd say it's a win, but what is a "good" return is relative to your goals. EPS is also very low as Price/Earnings keeps skyrocketing. 15% annualized is pretty nice--does that include a sale?

My current criteria is a 15% internal rate of return and a 6-9% CoC, which accounts for the time-value of money. It looks pretty similar to what you have underwritten in your post.

Andrew, thank you for your help! The example in question involves purchasing a property, with a 20% down payment. I assumed a 4% interest rate on a 30 year mortgage. The property in question already has tenants, so I had rent amount already available.

User Stats

Votes
Peter O.
Votes |
Replied Nov 15 2020, 13:55
Originally posted by @Joe Villeneuve:

This isn't the stock market. Don't analyze it the same way, or compare your investment to it...or use percentages to analyze REI in the first place. 5% profits plus cash flow in your REI should be greater than 15% return in the stock market...from day one...and leave the SM in its dust exponentially.

As far as REI, again, don't measure your REI by "%"...you'd be missing most of what REI has to offer. When you look for your "returns" om REI you should measure them based on those returns accomplishing specific financial goals...YOUR specific financial goals. To that end, each has a specific financial purpose/use. Profit (lump sum returns) should be used to pay off personal (this does NOT include REI mortgages...that's not personal) debt. Cash flow (returns come regularly in pieces) should be used to pay off all your monthly bills. Neither number needed comes in the form of a percentage...they come in dollars...SPECIFIC dollars. So, you should be analyzing the "profits" gained in a RE deal in terms of how they payoff their specific use...not in a percentage.

Joe, thank you for your help! Re paying off my monthly bills, are you talking about paying off the bills on the investment property, or my personal bills? If it's on the investment property, I can pay off all my bills and have a small profit each month (not counting the increase in my equity from paying off the morgage). I am of course making some assumptions, but I know some firm numbers, including the rental income (it has existing tenants), and the taxes, and I erred on the side of caution with a $1,200/year insurance and a 10% repair and maintenance and 10% capital expenses. I don't know the vacancy rate for that town, so I put down the state's vacancy rate.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Villeneuve
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Plymouth, MI
Replied Nov 16 2020, 00:20

Personal mot investment bills.  The investment should pay for itself, and the cash flow after the investment expenses have been paid will pay for your personal expenses.