Beware of Scammers (Real Estate Closing)

Beware of Scammers (Real Estate Closing)

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes

I'm about to close on my first out-of-state rental property investment when I received an email from the Title Insurance Agent that I need wire the closing funds to avoid delay. The email had my property details and realtor copied so I didn't think anything out of the ordinary. I also did a quick google search on the Title Insurance Agent and he checked out correctly. So I wire transferred the funds. Since it was after 5PM Eastern, I figured it will it be transferred the next business day. The next morning, a person from the customer protection group of my bank called me to confirm if I made the wire transfer. I thought it was just part of their regular check since it was a large sum of money. I told her that the amount was for closing costs of a real estate investment and that I also did research on the Title Insurance Agent. But when she told me that she had concerns on the name of account that I'm transferring the money to (i.e. the person is not an attorney or involved in real estate, etc), that's when I got suspicious. I told them to put the transaction on-hold while I verify. I checked with my realtor about the email and he confirmed that they were all fake emails including his. I immediately called my bank to cancel the transaction. In the end, I was able to save my money. I was very lucky that my bank did their verification.

I'm sharing my experience to warn others about these scammers. They are very good. They had my property, realtor and even title insurance agent information. They even knew that I was about to close on my property. I honestly don't know how they get this information. Here's a good article I found that tells you how you can protect yourself from these scams: https://www.consumerfinance.go...

Stay vigilant. Feel free to share any additional tips you may have. 

1Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Burnaby, BC · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 268 votes
5y

Great warning Owee. Most hackers are very smart nowadays. I used to support businesses with all their tech solution needs in a sales capacity so got to learn a ton about cyber security!

On average, hackers are sitting and gathering information on you for 4-6 months before making their move. As with your story, they find out the most vulnerable targets and highest opportunities to score big before jumping. Usually their emails will appear as being real since it shows their name as the sender but if you look closely at the actual email address it will look off. Hackers may also send out the virus to your contacts as well to mimic you and further spread their virus through attachments or weblinks. Bitcoin farming is another common practice now where they simply install programs to run in the background on your computers or smartphones and you will only notice the speed seems slower.

Hopefully you have a very good anti-virus program as its likely your computer is exposed and they are still lurking in your system. Even having a backup may not be enough as viruses can be backed up too with the rest of your files.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Burnaby, BC · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 268 votes
    5y

    Great warning Owee. Most hackers are very smart nowadays. I used to support businesses with all their tech solution needs in a sales capacity so got to learn a ton about cyber security!

    On average, hackers are sitting and gathering information on you for 4-6 months before making their move. As with your story, they find out the most vulnerable targets and highest opportunities to score big before jumping. Usually their emails will appear as being real since it shows their name as the sender but if you look closely at the actual email address it will look off. Hackers may also send out the virus to your contacts as well to mimic you and further spread their virus through attachments or weblinks. Bitcoin farming is another common practice now where they simply install programs to run in the background on your computers or smartphones and you will only notice the speed seems slower.

    Hopefully you have a very good anti-virus program as its likely your computer is exposed and they are still lurking in your system. Even having a backup may not be enough as viruses can be backed up too with the rest of your files.

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    5y

    The FBI calls it the Business Email Compromise scam and it causes big losses.  https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-scams-and-crimes/business-email-compromise#:~:text=In%20a%20BEC%20scam%2C%20criminals%20send%20an%20email,gift%20cards%20to%20send%20out%20as%20employee%20rewards. 

  • Scott WolfPro Member
    Lender · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    5y

    @Owee Nicolas, I'm so glad your bank has your back!

    As someone in title, I get phishing emails all the time, and see my clients & their attorney get them as well. The first thing I check is the email address(the name that appears is easy to spoof, the actual address not as much). And second thing I do is make sure to call ALL involved parties to confirm before any money is sent. Even the attorneys I do business with all the time, I institute this rule.  Some of them get annoyed, but if they lost a clients money, that could wipe them out from a financial and reputational standpoint. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thanks for the tip @James Ma! I've transferred my transactions to my other laptop where I have the latest anti-virus software. 

    Thanks @Peter Walther! I'm reporting this to IC3 today. I hope they catch these scammers. I can only imagine the financial and emotional damage they're causing to investors and families everywhere.

    Thanks @Scott Wolf. I agree. That's my biggest takeaway from this experience. You need to be vigilant and confirm with all parties. I'm more at risk because I'm investing out of state but there are steps that can be done to prevent this from happening. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    In the future, don't wire funds until you call the escrow agent and verify everything on the wire transfer form including account numbers.

    Hard for Russian bots to simulate real people on the phone.

  • Specialist · Winter Springs, FL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 747 votes
    5y

    Anyone can be a victim.  https://www.infosecurity-magaz...

  • Investor · MA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 18 votes
    5y

    I had the similar experience last year. I was buying a property out of state. I wired earnest money and there was no issue there. Before the closing, I got a secured email from a staff who was working in the attorney' office and provided me a new wiring instruction. I went to my bank and tried to wire the money. The bank told me that it was a scam. My bank got in touch with the attorney partner directly and confirmed that I should use the same wiring information as the earnest money. I still did not get any explanation from the attorney why and how their staff could send me an scam instruction in a secured email. 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Thanks for sharing @Michelle S. It's so scary how sophisticated they are in disguising themselves as legit and secure emails.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.