Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Buy and hold investment property- purchase with all equity?

Kayla Utley
Posted

Buying our first buy and hold investment property. We refinanced our house and planned to use the equity for the down payment. We found we have enough equity to purchase the investment property with the equity alone and avoid applying for a second mortgage. Our interest rate is great at 2.62%. If we used all equity to purchase the investment property we would do a 15 year term fixed. Pros and cons of using all equity? Is it smarter to get a second mortgage? We have options and appreciate any advice! 

User Stats

Votes
Bill Goodland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Allentown PA, United States
Votes |
Replied

@Kayla Utley I think the refinance is great. If you have the cash, I would recommend buying distressed properties with cash and try to BRRRR them. You can most likely scale a lot faster and I would much rather fix everything up front to avoid maintenance and then capture that built equity with the refinance then rinse and repeat

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Replied

@Bill Goodland thanks for the advice! The property really needs very little maintenance/repairs as of now so we plan on getting tenants ASAP. By going this route we will be combining our 2 mortgages into one. Are there any long term or short term advantages/disadvantages in doing it this way? We figured one advantage is one set of closing costs!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bill Goodland
Votes |
Replied

@Kayla Utley closing costs are definitely a concern but I would just calculate a cash on cash return of getting the loans. Strategy makes sense, but it depends what the goal is. Less leverage equals more security, more leverage usually means more growth. Up to you to find the sweet spot but one thing I always recommend is determine the return you are getting on your equity in a property and compare the opportunity cost of investing that money elsewhere

User Stats

Votes
Pam Holbrook
  • Investor
  • Newport, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newport, OR
Replied

Hi Kayla, 

I would wait. I'm in the middle of my 1st rental purchase and rehab. The market is unstable and there are too many unknowns. I'm listening to J. Scott from Biggerpockets "What Works (and Doesn't) in a Recession" who is saying it's not time to invest now. It's impossible to know how refinancing will be 6 months from now. This is the time to be extra conservative and not over leverage (as many on bigger pockets promote). What's your exit strategy a, b and c?

This is not a time for rookies to start. 

The risky BRRRRR process just got riskier secondary to an unprecedented time 

User Stats

Votes
Pam Holbrook
  • Investor
  • Newport, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Newport, OR
Replied

Addendum: I purchased and rehabbed 100% with a HELOC as I learned on biggerpockets. :(

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Replied

@Pam Holbrook

So in that case wouldn’t paying the whole amount with equity be the safer bet? The house doesn’t currently need repairs and we already have fulfilled our first tenant to start cash flowing. We are not really interested in refinancing anytime soon as our interest rate would already be 2.62%

User Stats

Votes
Damaso Bautista
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied

@Kayla Utley

I believe everyone has their own plan of action in real estate.  As long as your numbers work and the cash you are locking up is the path you are choosing, then I don't see anything wrong with that you are doing.

I would just make sure that you are satisfied with the returns you are getting for the money you are locking up.  This is different for each investor because everyone's goals are different.

Even if you lock your money up, it doesn't stop you from doing a cash out refi on your paid off home later on down the line if you choose to explore that avenue later.

There is no right or wrong answer as long as you are making money on the deal that is all that counts.

Good luck!!!

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Replied

@Damaso Bautista

It is a scary time to invest given the pandemic but you hit home with everyone’s goals being different. The numbers do work and this is a special chunk of land to us so we are just trying to make well thought out decisions from all angles to ensure the success of our first investment property. All the advice is greatly appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Damaso Bautista
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied

@Kayla Utley

"This is a special chunk of land"

That statement leads me to believe that this is a personal purchase, that is doubling as a true investment.  Which means nothing to me personally but can cloud your judgement in future real estate investments.

Most pro real estate investors try to leave emotion at the door or work strictly off of the numbers.

If you say the numbers work, then they work.  It isn't really that scary.  

It would be scary if you were lying to yourself saying that this is a great investment and it is really just a " special chunk of land" that you want.

Even if that was the case if you can afford it why can't you buy an property that you want.  It is done all the time.

There is nothing wrong with that.  

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Replied

@Damaso Bautista

In all of my studying and learning about real estate it has been reiterated to leave emotions out of the analysis, which is why I am being extra cautious about not letting emotions make the numbers seem better than they are. But yes, we can afford it, the numbers do work, and I figure it is a win/win if I do this the right way. Plus, it is a good opportunity to learn from experience.😊 Thanks for the help!

User Stats

Votes
Damaso Bautista
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied

@Kayla Utley

Great to see you are doing your due diligence for a win/win on this one.  

I am sure it will work out great and you will learn much from this experience.

I wish you and your family much success in your real estate journey and in life.

User Stats

Votes
Kayla Utley
Votes |
Replied

@Damaso Bautista

Thank you 😊

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!