What to do while I'm saving for my first property to build credit

What to do while I'm saving for my first property to build credit

Lakewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 66 posts · 21 votes

Howdy folks,

First of all I would like to thank anyone and everyone that has responded to my previous posts! This website has been massively helpful in getting my mind right to work towards my first real estate property.

Now to my selfish stuff, So I've come to the realization that the safest thing for me to do right now is keep saving until I have a decent down payment and a small reserve to deal with property repairs. The Denver market is finally hitting a plateau so I'm starting to get more serious about my options. One of my main regrets is that I didn't have a credit card until last year so my credit score could still use some boosts. My credit just climbed above 740 so it's by no means in the tank but there is room for improvement specifically in my credit limit.

Now I don't use my credit card in the traditional American debt way since I only use it for small things and pay it off immediately. So my question to you is this: Should I be working to boost my credit limit to raise my score even higher or is 740 good enough for traditional loans? I also would like to get some benefits from paying off a credit card so I'm looking for points, cashback, or miles to do some traveling. Let me know what you think!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

I don't think your credit score is your limit. Work on stacking cash in prep to buy. Learn everything you can about your target market.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2019 · 27 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    Good for you for taking positive steps. 740 is good enough to get most any bank loan out there. they look at more than credit score...income, history to name a few. If that 740 is the only thing holding you back, sounds to me like you are ready! 

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I don't think your credit score is your limit. Work on stacking cash in prep to buy. Learn everything you can about your target market.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    740 is about the max you need to get the best rate. Just focus on stacking that cash!

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    7y

    Congratulations on the great score @Justin O'Malley!

    Are you looking to purchase a primary residence or an investment property? This will determine the percentage needed for a down payment. As an experienced realtor; @Chris Lopez has many years of experience in finding properties for those who want to purchase primary residences or investment properties on the Front Range.

    Saving money in a bank is safe but that practice will not keep up with inflation.  @Donald SaintVal is right! You're ready to pull the trigger! Property repairs could be figured into the contract as seller concessions. The “perfect time” to buy is now.

    "Perfection is the enemy of profitability. Perfection is the enemy of success. You don't need to be perfect, because nobody is.”

    Mark Cuban

  • Carmel, IN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hey @Justin O'Malley, just like what everybody else said; your credit score is already good enough for most bank loans with the best rates. Increasing it is not a bad thing but it won't help you out much more than your current position. 

    Have you thought about househacking? Your credit score is good enough for a really good rate; you'll only need 3.5% downpayment; the rent you collect from the other units could pay the mortgage (you live for free); it will give you the experience that some banks would want to see.

    Good luck!

  • Renter · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 278 posts · 71 votes
    7y

    Have you thought of adding LLC credit to your tool kit

    so that you can attack CRE if an opportunity arises?

    740 will fly through any CRE deal if the target is good :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.