Telling a bank you will live in a house knowing you wont

Telling a bank you will live in a house knowing you wont

Investor · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 49 votes

Hey guys,

I was recently talking to my friends husband who has about 20 properties. I was talking to him about how he finances and other questions in terms of the market.

He was very informative and provided me with a lot of information but one thing stood out that I questioned and wanted to get your opinion on the matter.

I told him about my efforts and strategy to BRRRR a house. He was against it and puts 20% down on houses. I told him investors usually have to put around 25% from what I have seen and he told me to lie to the banks and tell them I am living in the house to get a lower rate. I hold myself to a very high standard or integrity. Is there anything wrong with doing this? What are the repercussions if any for getting caught.

There are just so many strategies its hard to pick one between 15/30 year mortgage and paying houses off or refinancing them. My goal is for long term wealth and unearned passive income. What would be the best strategy for this. From what I read in books I have interpreted that it would be 30 year mortgages and reinvesting the income into other houses. Am I correct?

Any and all inputs would be helpful.

1Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y

@Mitchell Litam. A lot going on here. Telling a bank you’ll live in a house and then not is called mortgage fraud. You’ll go to to prison. Also

You can get 20 percent down on stuff but it’s usually only for single family

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    @Mitchell Litam. A lot going on here. Telling a bank you’ll live in a house and then not is called mortgage fraud. You’ll go to to prison. Also

    You can get 20 percent down on stuff but it’s usually only for single family

  • Investor · Lakewood, OH · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Caleb Heimsoth yeah, I apologize. My mind goes at a million miles per minute and I jump around. Well, that answers my question haha. I thought it was somewhere along those lines but wasnt sure. Staying away from that then. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mitchell Litam

    "Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences."

    Robert Louis Stevenson

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Mitchell Litam I am glad to hear you have high integrity.  The investor who told you to lie obviously does not.

    Unless a mortgage has a prepayment penalty pick a 30 year mortgage. You can always make extra payments and pay it off in 15 years if you want. But if you get stuck financially the bank won't accept a lower payment on a 15 year mortgage.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.