Selling house to move across country. Next move?

Selling house to move across country. Next move?

Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes

Hey all, 

So my wife and I bought a house in Chattanooga in May 2016 for $191k and still owe $186k. Have put a lot of work into it, new flooring and paint throughout, got rid of the popcorn ceiling and did the flat painted ceiling, new interior door handles and stuff like that, updated bathrooms and nice open floor plan, and totally redid the exterior and increased the curb appeal ten-told. A house about 4 doors up just went up for sale for $240k, same size but not updated. I think we can sell our house in the $265k range for sure. 

So we just decided that we are leaving Chattanooga and moving to Denver for a few years so I can go to school there. I was originally thinking that we could rent our house out and start like that, but we have a pool and I really really don't want to rent a house with a pool. So we are thinking that we will sell and take the money that we make on it and buy a multi-family. Denver is a lot more expensive than Chattanooga so we are wondering about trying to invest long-distance and buy in Chattanooga or try to invest in Denver when we move. 

Any advice would be very helpful. 

PS. We plan on renting in Denver for ourselves and using most of the money we make on our house here to start RE investing for our future. We both have goals of leaving our careers as soon as we can to do this full-time in several years and keep growing it from there. But we have the first one coming up and hopefully about $75k to work with. 

Thanks. 

0Reply
33 views

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y
    @Nathan Recchia I think selling the house and reinvesting the money into something else probably makes more sense. The market for houses around 250 to 260 it's still pretty hot in Chattanooga. I think that the $60,000 or more that you have after cost of sale make a excellent start on a couple of duplexes in Chattanooga.but if you're thinking of doing something like that you're going to want to interview some property management companies before you do that. figure out what areas make sense to rent in where you're going to get the best rents and make sure you're comfortable with your local property manager and maybe a contractor or two. Definitely don't think that you should try to rent out a 250000 or more house the return that you would get on something like that isn't great the only reason to do that would be if you plan on moving back in a year or two and you want to move back to the same house.
  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y
    another option for you might be just to participate in some kind of syndication get some kind of real estate exposure that way and just be purely passive and focus on school
  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Jeffrey Holst we wouldn't necessarily want to move back into this house. As far as syndication goes, I will look into that but really don't like the idea all that much, purely because I would like to have some more control to learn about RE investing. I feel like that would just be very similar to investing in the stock market and having a financial advisor do it for you. I would obviously like to make money on this first deal but really want to learn, even more, so we can continue on with investing in the future. My schooling won't be super intensive so I don't think that's going to be much of a problem. 

    Do you know of any RE investing clubs in Chatt that I could start showing up to? I think that was basically going to be my next step, I desperately need to start networking, I don't really have a network at all in this space. 

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y

    I do. We have a monthly biggerpockets meet up usually last Thursday of the month.  I'll check and see if there is a post about the next one and tag you in it. Also I am always willing to talk real estate. I'm in Hixson and would be happy to meet you for lunch or drinks sometime.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y

    This is the link to the October one.  I don't think there is one planned yet for November.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/629733-october-chattanooga-investor-happy-hour

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm not quite sure on my schedule yet but I think I would really enjoy sitting down for a cup of coffee and learning more about investing. And about that November investor meetup, yes, please tag me in that. I would also enjoy going and seeing what happens there and meeting other investors. I'm really trying to soak up information. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Jeffrey Holst forgot tag you in this earlier this morning when I wrote it so not sure if you saw it or not. Still getting used to this whole website. 

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Recchia:

    @Jeffrey Holst forgot tag you in this earlier this morning when I wrote it so not sure if you saw it or not. Still getting used to this whole website. 

     Don't think I can tag you unless we connect first or if you already commented on the post. So I sent you a colleague request.  

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    7y

    I both live in, and invest in Chattanooga in addition to owning a property management company here as well.  A couple things to consider in answering the question you laid out.  First, how much of that cash will you need to maintain for cost of living?  Second, once you've identified how much is left to invest with you'll need to talk to a couple lenders to see what you qualify for.  This will be somewhat murkier as recent move/change of income will not positively benefit you.  Regardless, once you know how much you have to invest with (the lender will want to see what you will keep for reserves) you can then identify asset classes and areas of town where the prices are a fit.  Once that is known you have to decide if you have the tolerance to invest in those asset classes and areas.  

    The big issue for you as I see it is finding something at a discount while still being out of market and having limited capital to work with.  There are of course ways around all these things but in the beginning they can be discouraging/daunting.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Recchia:

    @Jeffrey Holst forgot tag you in this earlier this morning when I wrote it so not sure if you saw it or not. Still getting used to this whole website. 

     Here's the link for this Thursdays meet up

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/642977-november-chattanooga-investor-happy-hour?page=1#p3815575

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    I'm kicking myself right now for not logging into bigger pockets this week. And I can't figure out how to get notifications to my phone when someone messages me. Now that the wife and I have decided we are definitely moving to Colorado we are hitting the last few things hard on the house to get it ready, so our kitchen is torn apart to paint cabinets and I'm simultaneously finishing up the stairs treads. I've been lazy about bigger pockets this week. I'd still like to meet if you would. Could I buy you a cup of coffee one morning this next week so we could meet and talk real estate? Any day except Monday morning would work for me if you'd be interested. @Jeffrey Holst

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.