Best way to invest several million+?

Best way to invest several million+?

Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes

Hello, I'm very new to Bigger Pockets, but I've had this forum bookmarked forever until I really needed it.

I sold one of my companies some time ago and now have a regular stream of ~1 million per month to invest. So far I'm a very aggressive entrepreneur, but I don't know the first thing about real estate, and that's where I want to divert a lot of my income to supplement my standard investment strategy of stocks, bonds, other companies, etc. I'm thinking maybe 10-30% of that into real estate to start.

To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about real estate. So I have started in the Education section in the beginners guide. I was also considering buying the Bigger Pockets book on real estate investing.


There's so many areas of interest though, that I'm wondering which area(s) one might suggest I focus on first, just so I'm on the right track from the beginning. From there I can study all day long until it starts to click.

My ultimate goal is (fairly) hands off income @ ideally around 10% return. More would be incredible. I'm not sure if that's possible while using a management company to manage properties, so if that's not reasonable I'd love to know what is. I have no problem hustling and doing work, but I'm really trying to find something that doesn't require an immense amount of time per day/week. If that also isn't possible I'd love to know what is a more reasonable goal. In the back of my mind I think "what if I had 10 or 20 properties being managed by a company and I just collect income from them" type of deal. Obviously there's a lot more to it, but that's sort of the direction I was thinking.

I don't know if wholesaling or flipping is a good strategy for me either (still reading about that, haven't gotten there yet). Any insight would be appreciated where to start.


Thanks to you all.

- U

2Reply
105 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Palm Beach County, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

Be prepared to get a lot of colleague requests and messages now that you announced you have $1M per month income and know nothing about real estate but want to invest. In the future you should never disclose on a public forum how much cash you have available. You will attract more of the wrong people than the right ones. Be very cautious of those who message you offering their services. With all that being said I’d suggest you keep your money safe and sound in a high yield savings account or something alike while you study various investment strategies and learn which is the one you want to pursue. As you gain more knowledge you’ll start to figure out exactly what direction to go. Welcome to BP and best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo 

    1) Congrats on building successful businesses! Would love to learn what these are if you don't mind sharing. 

    2) I wouldn't post any info on how much you have/make on a social media platform (f.e., BP)  if you didn't want a publicity. So I'm guessing this was an intentional post on your side. If it weren't, then you can still take your post down (it's your post, so up to you what to do with it). Otherwise, yeah you know it  - friend requests will be pouring in. 

    3) Do not invest in anything until you educate yourself on the strategy and understand the risks involved. Everything has the risks associated with it, even NNN leases.

    4) Sounds like you're looking for passive investing options, which entails no control, but also very limited to no engagement on your part. If that's the case, the options would include but not be limited to:

    a) Lending money (warning: don't go into a second position). This can be done either directly with flippers or through intermediary companies that connect flippers with lenders (for a fee of course, but they verify the info for you)

    b) NNN leases @Joel Owens is your guy for it. 

    c) invest in syndications (btw, this does not entail multifamily only. it can be any asset class: MFH, SFH, storage, hotel, etc... The choice is yours as to what to invest in). If you need a way to find such investments or want more info, feel free to PM me.

    d) invest in notes (performing or non-performing)

    Again, education is the Key here. Read books and posts about these and other strategies on BP and outside of BP, pick one, and concentrate on it until you're comfortable to start investing. Only then take action. 

    Best of luck!

  • Property Manager · San Bernardino, CA · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 238 votes
    7y

    Based on your criteria, you may want to look into turn-key properties. Research a few turn-key companies and find one that can help you obtain your criteria. A 10% return is not impossible, but most likely you will not be investing in Los Angeles or the Bay, especially if you are trying to put in minimal work.

    If you are looking to invest in long-term buy and hold projects with minimal management from your side, my company syndicates Opportunity Zone properties. After holding onto the property for 10 years, you no longer have to pay capital gains tax on the sale of the property. Trump's new tax law established Opportunity Zones for investment of real estate and businesses.

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alina Trigub:

    @Uzi Pablo 

    1) Congrats on building successful businesses! Would love to learn what these are if you don't mind sharing. 

    2) I wouldn't post any info on how much you have/make on a social media platform (f.e., BP)  if you didn't want a publicity. So I'm guessing this was an intentional post on your side. If it weren't, then you can still take your post down (it's your post, so up to you what to do with it). Otherwise, yeah you know it  - friend requests will be pouring in. 

    3) Do not invest in anything until you educate yourself on the strategy and understand the risks involved. Everything has the risks associated with it, even NNN leases.

    4) Sounds like you're looking for passive investing options, which entails no control, but also very limited to no engagement on your part. If that's the case, the options would include but not be limited to:

    a) Lending money (warning: don't go into a second position). This can be done either directly with flippers or through intermediary companies that connect flippers with lenders (for a fee of course, but they verify the info for you)

    b) NNN leases @Joel Owens is your guy for it. 

    c) invest in syndications (btw, this does not entail multifamily only. it can be any asset class: MFH, SFH, storage, hotel, etc... The choice is yours as to what to invest in). If you need a way to find such investments or want more info, feel free to PM me.

    d) invest in notes (performing or non-performing)

    Again, education is the Key here. Read books and posts about these and other strategies on BP and outside of BP, pick one, and concentrate on it until you're comfortable to start investing. Only then take action. 

    Best of luck!

     1. Thanks! I wish I could say, as I have a lot of great business input from having failed so many times. I can tell you all of it's possible because I am good at programming. Unfortunately I'm quite secretive at the same time as I don't like or want attention to anything I'm doing, or unnecessary competition etc. (And no, it's not bitcoin). I think I'll be closing an upcoming deal here quite soon and that amount will double or triple, so I'll have a lot to play around with (carefully!).

    2. I've purposefully made everything on my profile very vague, and this is my nickname not my real name just so I can get feedback on investing. When I'm done getting the info I need I'll likely shut the account down and use an alternate BP account I have.

    3 - 4c... such great info. There is so much to learn. Do you have any 'must read' basic books or BP posts? I am going through the beginners guide but it doesn't have much detail. Searching forum posts would be the obvious next step, but there is so much that I don't know if that's the most efficient approach. Maybe it is. I was going to buy the real estate investing book from BP and see about that as a step 2. But I'm open to anything.

    4. Yes, I'm looking for mostly passive but I have NO problem getting my hands dirty. I'm not looking to dump money and then spend no time on it, if I can increase returns from 6% to 10% just by putting in some blood sweat and tears... then you can call me shirley. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brooklyn NY · Member since 2018 · 263 posts · 469 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo

    How long will you continue to receive $1mm per month?  

    Let's assume you will net $1mm per month for 12-months.  That is $12mm in one year.  Live below your means, allocate some cash to paper assets, real estate (lending) and business (startups, or whatever).  

    Most importantly, go live your life.  You have won the game.  

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I would suspect ~2 or more years. It's in a very stable industry, so something extraordinary would have to happen to perturb that. It also will scale as time goes on, 4-5 million profit per month (before taxes) would be doable depending on some factors within my control, that I'm comfortable saying I can successfully do them (sorry for being so vague, but I'm sure it makes perfect sense why I am 😅). That hasn't happened yet though, so for now it's just talk, and probably wont happen for another 3-6 months. My initial figure is what I'm working with now, and it's going straight to my low to medium investment risk principal. I'll take a portion of that to experiment in real estate to try and get higher returns at a lower risk (for doing more work/involvement)

  • Ellis HammondPro Member
    Investor · Leawood, KS · Member since 2017 · 178 posts · 108 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo on second thought fly to LA this weekend and join me at the intelligent investors conference with Hunter Thompson and a ton of other successful real estate investors! 

    This is some of the best info (no sales pitches just the good stuff) from a ton of proven men and women in this industry. We can meet in a dark room to hide your identity haha!

    Id also recommend his podcast. Its high level info from very sophisticated investors. its called cash flow connections. 

  • Rental Property Investor · York, PA · Member since 2017 · 377 posts · 315 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo One thing that I haven't seen suggested yet and might be something to consider (depending on how involved you want to be): JV with other people. This might be a middle-ground, where you get to have more control over your investment. With the amount of money you are looking to invest, this is probably unrealistic for you - but I figured I would throw some more terminology out there for you to research.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Rock, NJ · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Uzi, 
    I have a whole library of books recommendations but I don't think I'm allowed to post it here. Feel free to PM me and I'll share the link. 

    Also, keep up  with programming business of yours  - if you already found a way to make money, don't reinvent the wheel. Invest passively in real estate whatever you make actively via programming!

    Originally posted by @Uzi Pablo:
    Originally posted by @Alina Trigub:

    @Uzi Pablo 

    1) Congrats on building successful businesses! Would love to learn what these are if you don't mind sharing. 

    2) I wouldn't post any info on how much you have/make on a social media platform (f.e., BP)  if you didn't want a publicity. So I'm guessing this was an intentional post on your side. If it weren't, then you can still take your post down (it's your post, so up to you what to do with it). Otherwise, yeah you know it  - friend requests will be pouring in. 

    3) Do not invest in anything until you educate yourself on the strategy and understand the risks involved. Everything has the risks associated with it, even NNN leases.

    4) Sounds like you're looking for passive investing options, which entails no control, but also very limited to no engagement on your part. If that's the case, the options would include but not be limited to:

    a) Lending money (warning: don't go into a second position). This can be done either directly with flippers or through intermediary companies that connect flippers with lenders (for a fee of course, but they verify the info for you)

    b) NNN leases @Joel Owens is your guy for it. 

    c) invest in syndications (btw, this does not entail multifamily only. it can be any asset class: MFH, SFH, storage, hotel, etc... The choice is yours as to what to invest in). If you need a way to find such investments or want more info, feel free to PM me.

    d) invest in notes (performing or non-performing)

    Again, education is the Key here. Read books and posts about these and other strategies on BP and outside of BP, pick one, and concentrate on it until you're comfortable to start investing. Only then take action. 

    Best of luck!

     1. Thanks! I wish I could say, as I have a lot of great business input from having failed so many times. I can tell you all of it's possible because I am good at programming. Unfortunately I'm quite secretive at the same time as I don't like or want attention to anything I'm doing, or unnecessary competition etc. (And no, it's not bitcoin). I think I'll be closing an upcoming deal here quite soon and that amount will double or triple, so I'll have a lot to play around with (carefully!).

    2. I've purposefully made everything on my profile very vague, and this is my nickname not my real name just so I can get feedback on investing. When I'm done getting the info I need I'll likely shut the account down and use an alternate BP account I have.

    3 - 4c... such great info. There is so much to learn. Do you have any 'must read' basic books or BP posts? I am going through the beginners guide but it doesn't have much detail. Searching forum posts would be the obvious next step, but there is so much that I don't know if that's the most efficient approach. Maybe it is. I was going to buy the real estate investing book from BP and see about that as a step 2. But I'm open to anything.

    4. Yes, I'm looking for mostly passive but I have NO problem getting my hands dirty. I'm not looking to dump money and then spend no time on it, if I can increase returns from 6% to 10% just by putting in some blood sweat and tears... then you can call me shirley. 

  • Investor · Tarzana CA and Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 326 posts · 130 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo

    dont waste your time on r/e if you are able to generate that type of capital 

    theres clearly more money in what you are doing ... to put things in perspective for you ... a 5 caprate market which is largely what you are going to get in the coast to generate $12m a year of income is going to be like putting $250m  to work.  

    or even better... say you want to simply generate 10% return ... whatever you are doing now would require $120m investment to generate 12m.

    so basically dont waste your time on this and keep on milking whatever animal it is thats producing platinum milk

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis Dahlberg:

    Dont buy the homes, be the lender.....it took me years to figure this out.

    I use to work very hard flipping homes. 

    Late one, night writing checks for all the hard money lenders, my wife said “what are you doing?” 

    Told her I need to make sure all the lenders get paid, I’ll be in bed soon...

    She said “Looks like your on the wrong side of the business, don’t stay up too late dear.”

    And she was correct.........

    Always listen to your wife......

    exactly how I started my second HML company was enjoying buying courthouse steps. but it got uber competitive and my CPA said boy your working hard on thin margins.. you should lend the money .. I said well I have done that in the past and that's how I got back into it.

  • Multifamily investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 281 posts · 521 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo - you can start by investing passively with other investors and learn the ropes this way. Flipping/rehabbing is a full time job, unless you partner up with someone who brings the "sweat equity". 

    So the 1st question I'd ask if "what are my goals - passive or active income" after your answer this question, you can write all the different ways to go about it (passively - invest with a syndicator or with a friend; and that could be in SFH, MF, retail, medical, etc. If active - SFH, MF flipping, wholesaling, etc.

    Then, start reading about it, talk with people, go to meetups, etc and feel what is better for you. There are a lot of free (and paid) events that will give you an intro to all those topics.

    Good luck!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y

    I would skip trying to do real estate on your own.  and simply hire a wealth manager for a yearly fee base and let them go at it..  folks with that kind of money unless they grew up in the business and are in real estate rarely do this on their own when they have that kind of wherewithal..   for you its capital preservation not maximizing income.

    double tax free muni's are going to get more attractive..

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo I came here to say get a wealth manager, but @Jay Hinrichs beat me to it. 

    By the time you are all done with this, it sounds like you'll have well over $15m. BP is a great place, but not when it comes to sums like that. Only a handful of people here have ever dealt with that kind of capital and the unique requirements that come along with that level of wealth. Plus, a lot of the advice you are getting is what people would do if they had several million, not what you should do. Not that it is bad advice, but it may not be the best advice for you. Sit down with someone whose is getting paid to help you come up with a plan that meets your goals. 

    Your time would be better spent, at least in the short term, finding a wealth manager who you feel comfortable with. Here are the top 40 PWM rankings to start with, but there are way more smaller niche shops that don't advertise, but operate on a word of mouth basis. I'd start researching the firms to see which one's mission, standards, services, culture you like best. Once you have a short list, ask around your network, attorney, account, ect, if they know anyone at the firms you like. 

    After you have all of your ducks in a row, then is a great time to learn about REI and explore your passion.

    Best of luck and congratulations on the success.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo

    Note investing is by far the most passive way to go in real estate, and getting 10%+ returns is very achievable.  Buying notes at a discount is the highest yielding, unleveraged risk-adjusted return one can make without having to do a lot of legwork.  Plus you can purchase several in a portfolio with differing price points across a numerous geographical locations to mitigate your risk.  With the coming onslaught of rising interest rates, resulting in cap rates decompression, real estate values have only one direction to go, whereas the face value of a note does not change.  

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the continued feedback guys and gals, this is all very helpful.

  • Real Estate Investor & Consultant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 620 posts · 386 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo for the real estate carve out funds:

    25% diversified REITs

    25% buy multi families (w/ property management)

    25% buy single family short term rentals in vacation towns (w/ property management)

    25% invest in multiple companies that flip 

    Onward,

    sjw

  • Investor / Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 220 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Uzi Pablo I agree that you don't need to mess with active RE investing. You're a capital manager now. Learn all you can about multifamily apartment syndications, storage syndications, and mobile home park funds. Spread it around. You're attorney and CPA will be highly valuable of course. 

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mike Krieg:

    Congrats @Uzi Pablo I agree that you don't need to mess with active RE investing. You're a capital manager now. Learn all you can about multifamily apartment syndications, storage syndications, and mobile home park funds. Spread it around. You're attorney and CPA will be highly valuable of course. 

     Can you explain in laymans terms what MF + storage syndications are? I haven't gotten to read on BP about that yet (I will for sure, it's been a very busy week but I wanted to poke around on here before fully digging in).

  • Property Manager · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 195 votes
    7y

    I agree with the suggestion of lending, when you have more to invest in real estate then the average Bank will often do with a real estate investment.  Take advantage of both worlds finance real estate for return on your money.

  • Specialist · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 86 votes
    7y

    @Uzi Pablo You should definitely not be an active real estate investor. Your skills are in business and programming and you should stick with it. Your focus should be on preserving wealth through real estate. Don't take real estate deals with better returns that are riskier, just play it safe now and don't lose it. You probably have a circle a of wealthy individuals that you know, so get advice from them and see how they invest their capital and who they trust. You want to get advice from people wealthier than you.

  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew G.:

    @Uzi Pablo You should definitely not be an active real estate investor. Your skills are in business and programming and you should stick with it. Your focus should be on preserving wealth through real estate. Don't take real estate deals with better returns that are riskier, just play it safe now and don't lose it. You probably have a circle a of wealthy individuals that you know, so get advice from them and see how they invest their capital and who they trust. You want to get advice from people wealthier than you.

     That's an extremely good piece of advice about only listening to those who have more than you (money, skills, etc), that's been one piece of advice I give to others who ask me.

    That said, I figured with RE investing I wanted to learn something new, but I suppose in the end you're right. For preserving wealth through real estate, can I reach anywhere near 10% or am I looking at the same level of returns as just a medium risk portfolio of mutual funds etc...

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    7y
    @Uzi Pablo Maybe don’t even own the real estate. Be a private money lender and collect 12% without the headaches of actually owning the property. Hire a good lawyer to vet your deals and be 100% hands off or use him and yourself to vet
  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2017 · 132 posts · 90 votes
    7y
    @Uzi Pablo And by the way. If you really do have that current income you are going to get mobbed with a crap ton of brokers trying to sell you everything they can and people wanting you to fund their deals. Find the big real estate lawyers in your area and tell them you’ll be a private money lender. Come up with a standard like 65% ltv, 12% interest, and 1.5 points. Call the title companies in your area also. Learn on how to vet the deal yourself. Start small on like a 100k project or something and if you like it grow and if not recoup your money and move on.
  • Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Adam Wigdorski:
    @Uzi Pablo And by the way. If you really do have that current income you are going to get mobbed with a crap ton of brokers trying to sell you everything they can and people wanting you to fund their deals. Find the big real estate lawyers in your area and tell them you’ll be a private money lender. Come up with a standard like 65% ltv, 12% interest, and 1.5 points. Call the title companies in your area also. Learn on how to vet the deal yourself. Start small on like a 100k project or something and if you like it grow and if not recoup your money and move on.

    Awesome. That is definitely something on my 'to research' list. Fast question, do I need to wait for the full length of the loan to make sure they don't default or is there some strategy where they flip them or do short term lending deals? What is the average term length for what you're talking about?

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 315 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Uzi Pablo:
    Originally posted by @Mike Krieg:

    Congrats @Uzi Pablo I agree that you don't need to mess with active RE investing. You're a capital manager now. Learn all you can about multifamily apartment syndications, storage syndications, and mobile home park funds. Spread it around. You're attorney and CPA will be highly valuable of course. 

     Can you explain in laymans terms what MF + storage syndications are? I haven't gotten to read on BP about that yet (I will for sure, it's been a very busy week but I wanted to poke around on here before fully digging in).

    @david Thompson has a great blog that explains different types of syndications

    https://www.thompsoninvesting.com/blog-1

    there are many podcasts available through BP that explain these too

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.