Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Silang
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
Recession imminent? Should I sit on sidelines?

Alex Silang
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted

I was just in a cafe today reading how a recession is on the horizon in Fortune magazine. Many many factors, most notably the almost inversion of the yield curve (which predicts recessions with 100% accuracy.)

Right now I got a triplex, things are going great but rent could be improved (and would include some rehab.)

I've always thought about doing a BRRR (first one was minimal rehab), flip, etc. I do have access to private money (wealthy aunt offered to lend money.) However, my heart tells me time is not right. In my target market, I'd probably be close to meeting the 1% rule, but I'd want to do a little "value add" to juice returns. But I don't want to do anything major now given my newbie status (first property was merely to get my feet wet.) If I was doing my first rehab (which of course would come with cost overruns, mishaps etc) while the market/economy was tanking....haha ya that wouldn't be good.

On the other hand, some people do deals in good markets and bad. I could rehab and then hold it (BRRR), not necessary to flip... I'd hate to wait on the sidelines for 5 years with a tinfoil hat before acting.

What do you think?

User Stats

Votes
Cassi Justiz
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Edmond, OK
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Edmond, OK
Replied

Markets will always rise and fall. If you are buying right and cash flowing, a downturn will not destroy you. You just want to make sure you are not over leveraged and you can afford to drop the rents to cover the mortgage in the worst case scenario. You definitely don't want a $1500/month mortgage on a house that will barely break even or cash flow at a high point. If you wait around, it will be much harder to get loans once a crash happens. 

User Stats

Votes
Frankie Woods
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied

Just find a great deal thru hard work and grinding.  If you do this, the current market cycle makes no difference.  The money will chase you if you do it right.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Bryan Devitt
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Oxford, MA
Replied

ALWAYS follow your gut. If you feel it isn't right, DO NOT DO IT! I personally am waiting for the crash, but I might be crazy and it might not happen. Worst case, I am wrong and I hold off on purchases for over a year (I've been waiting a while) but I haven't missed out on much because prices aren't increasing right now anyways (by me at least) and best case, I save myself some nights of kicking myself in the azz for going against my gut and buying at a peak before losing a ton of equity. Yes, as long as it cash flows then it doesn't matter, but I would rather it cash flow $2k a month than $800 a month. Esp if I can only afford 1 now (at 800 net) or 2 at the bottom in a year (?) at $2k net ea.