Time, Money, or Experience... Which one do you have?

Time, Money, or Experience... Which one do you have?

Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes

Hey Newbies!!

So what do you have? Time, Money, or Experience??

You have to give a little to get a little…

When I started creating my investing mindset about 2 years ago, I was seeking to team up with people more knowledgeable than myself to help me achieve my investing goals. But what did I have to offer them that would serve as barter?

Along the way, I heard an experienced investment say: “You need at least 1 of 3 things… TIME, MONEY, or EXPERIENCE…

So I thought… What do I have in my toolbox?

Time: I don’t have much… I work 40 hours a week as an engineer. And then have plenty of family duties. So, time is definitely a limited factor.

Money: I was able to refinance about $20,000 out of my primary mortgage. So, that was my starting point.

Experience: As an engineer for the last 15 years, I have done plenty of statistical analysis as well as tracking cost, schedule, and performance as a program manager.

So I basically had Program Management & Data Collection experience, limited time, and a $20,000 budget to get started.

My General Goal: $3000/month passive income in the next 3 years.

With a $20,000 budget and limited experience in New Jersey, my investing options seemed limited to areas which I was a bit uncomfortable getting started in. So I looked out of state a bit and found an investor with plenty of TIME and EXPERIENCE, who had an area that fit within my budget. He would go on to help me acquire, rehab, rent, and manage my units.

I, in return, became a buyer and use my EXPERIENCE to organize his business profile to run more efficiently. Any investor can always use an extra set of eyes that provides added value through a difference point of view.

Once I had established that the product I was investing was sound, I was also able bring in more clientele for him who had similar situations to mine (low budget for their immediate area).

So, that’s how I used my strengths to get me started. I basically provided value to my partner by contributing where he needed help. In return, he fills my voids of time and real-estate experience.

As I continue to grow, each of these 3 factors continues to grow and offer new services to people. I have been able to grow my rental portfolio, use a portion of my initial funds to establish business credit, and branch out into wholesaling and rehabbing using the same principles.

Now, there’s plenty of other factors that go into the equation of course. But, beginning with these 3, it gives you a good sense of what you can offer to others that will be of significance to them.

Have a great weekend!

8Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · West Deptford, NJ · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 8 votes
11y

@Rafael NoratGreat post! I find myself in the same position as someone working full time as a relatively new attorney, and also having family obligations.  I am currently teaming up with my cousins who own a construction business.  They have the time and knowledge of rehabbing to go along with my experience with the law and business.  

Did you find your out of state business partner on BP?? 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · West Deptford, NJ · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    @Rafael NoratGreat post! I find myself in the same position as someone working full time as a relatively new attorney, and also having family obligations.  I am currently teaming up with my cousins who own a construction business.  They have the time and knowledge of rehabbing to go along with my experience with the law and business.  

    Did you find your out of state business partner on BP?? 

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    11y

    That's great Brian! Yes, I found my partner here on BP and continue to build through here and local REAs.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 49 votes
    11y

    Good post. You're absolutely right about having something to offer which is why I originally didn't post much, I just didnt have much to bring to the table. Between my partner and I we have the time and money. He works 16 hour days but he has the money. I recently just quit my full time job so I have the time. Neither of us have experience which is why we plan on partnering with someone that does at least on a few deals until we get a little comfortable. 

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    11y

    Hey Morgan,

    You have plenty to give. ALOT of experienced investors lack the time they need to scale up their business. Have you and your partner outlines your team goals yet? You should have plenty of REAs in MD to help you find the experience piece. Outline your goals and that will identify the type of experience you need. Just value your time and guard it from distractions.

    Hope that helps!!

    BTW.. I'll always consider myself a newbie.. There's always something new to learn!!

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    11y

    Hey Morgan,

    You do have plenty to give. ALOT of experienced investors lack the time they need to scale their businesses up. Hit up the REAs in your area. There should be plenty in the MD area. Identify your team goals and that should flush out the type of experience you're missing.

    Hope that helps!!

  • Real Estate Investor · salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 105 posts · 32 votes
    11y
    Yes indeed I have up to $200,000 of my own money, I am now a full time flipper, have much experience, education, and did have an appraiser and broker's license but screwed my credit up during the Great Recession, and it finally occurred to me that I bet I can find a partner with good credit. Thanks for the post.
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 91 posts · 49 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Rafael Norat

    We've talked about our team goals but never put it on paper, so thanks we'll be doing that tomorrow! I'll also be meeting with a supposedly investor friendly real estate agent in a few hours.  I say supposedly because of course he'll tell me he is to grab my business but I think I may be in a better playing position asking questions to make sure courtesy of J. Scott's book on flipping houses. Either way I'm sure we'll be fine, we just have to take the plunge.

    Thanks Rafael!

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    I have abundant time, decent fundamental experience, and a tiny bit of starting capital

  • Real Estate Agent · Milton, VT · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    I have a fair amount of time. Some good experience though it is all theory and not much practicality. I have basically no capital. I often find myself wondering do I pay down my credit card debt or spend more money on building my real estate business?

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    11y

    What are your goals Anthony? Are you looking to build a portfolio, rehab and sell?

  • Rental Property Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 37 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    My 1 out of 3 is time. I have just started my journey into real estate only a month or so ago. My first goal is to find and go to an REIA meeting near me and meet the people who have been there and done that.

    @Anthony Micklus I am with you there. My goal for this year is to pay off most if not all my debt.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Milton, VT · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Rafael Norat I want to build a portfolio. I am in the process of getting my real estate license which will give me access to MLS in my area. From there I plan to do rehabs with private money. The profits from those rehabs will go to paying off my credit card debt first thus giving me more leverage with the banks. From there I plan to buy and hold SFH then work my way up to Multi-family and or Apartments until I generate enough passive income to cover my expenses. (Ever played Cashflow 101?) I am also considering Wholesale buying in a neighboring state. I only live 15 miles and a ferry ride from the border.

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    11y

    @Anthony Micklus

    Very cool! Have you lined up your private lenders yet? I too have considered getting my license to the ability to access the MLS and visit at my convenience.

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    I have no money.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milton, VT · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    There are a few candidates. It is tough convincing someone to loan you 10s of thousands of dollars when you don't have any successful deals under your belt. Also I am limited to people I know because of the laws. I am always running into the Chicken and Egg thing. When I have talked with people about it they say well let me know when you have something and when I have something I can't seem to find anyone who is interested. 

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    11y

    Reasonable level of expereince and sufficient funding available, but no time :-(

  • Real Estate Agent · Milton, VT · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Dell Schlabach may I ask how where your funding is coming from? Is it your own funds or do you have a private investor or investors you can draw from. Perhaps I can use my time to help you out. 

  • Investor · Canton-Akron, OH · Member since 2012 · 917 posts · 477 votes
    11y

    @Anthony Micklus

    .... most of our money comes from private investors

    ...you thinking about moving to Ohio?

    ... bit difficult to run rehab projects in Ohio, living in VT.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 51 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I have a little bit of each but the capital part will have to depend on which day you ask me LOL ...

  • Real Estate Agent · Milton, VT · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 36 votes
    11y

    @Dell Schlabach lol! No I don't plan on moving to Ohio anytime soon but I am pretty handy with a computer. That seems to be a skill that is useful in this business. Besides I didn't know if you were looking to invest in other areas you never know until you ask.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.