Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kentucky
Votes |
Investing in Turnkey International Coffee Farms

Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Posted Sep 24 2014, 05:31
I recently heard an (non-BP, don't know if I'm allowed to say where) REI podcast where the guest talked about investing in international coffee farms (in Panama). The pitch was basically $15,000 for 0.5 acre parcel on an under-performing commercial coffee farm his group acquired with the expectation of a conservative 13% annual yield. There would be a 3+ year minimum hold and the opportunity to sell later, if desired. His team apparently hires the coffee farmers and provides them a good job, fair wages, health and pension benefits, etc. Often, they simply re-hire existing talent that have already been working on these farms for many years, just under new, better-capitalized management. It sounds great at first glance, but I feel like I might be missing something. Have you ever invested in anything like this? What questions would you have about it? I like that it's turn-key, cash-flowing, and I will not have to deal with tenants. By the way, I like the BP podcasts much better (this one is always a bit "salesy," which is another reason I am skeptical).

User Stats

Votes
Hector Rodriguez
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Apr 24 2019, 08:49

Hey @Brandon Turner,

I am part of David's team at International Coffee Farms.

We have wanted to do something with you for about 2 years now and we have submitted 2 or 3 requests in that same time to have David on the show.

We have spoken to your team as well but have yet to receive an invite.

If you would like to have David on the show to elaborate more about the topics brought up by the forum posters in this thread we would be happy to help set it up.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Holland
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palo Alto, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Palo Alto, CA
Replied Jun 30 2019, 22:11

@Mark S. Have you received any income yet? I'm curious to hear how this has been working out for you.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Mark S.
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Kentucky
Replied Jul 1 2019, 05:04
Originally posted by @Ryan Holland:

@Mark S. Have you received any income yet? I'm curious to hear how this has been working out for you.

Too soon to tell.  No income yet, but none is expected on the raw land parcel I purchased until 3-4 years.  Most frustrating part is the deeding process.  Because of this, I believe they’re making changes to future offerings.   

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Plesz
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Lebanon, CT
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Lebanon, CT
Replied Sep 26 2019, 12:45

Hi Mark S. I was interested in the cocao farm as well as the coffee Panama investment around the same time you were. How have they panned out for you so far? I'm guessing since it's a 3-4 year initial 1st return on investment and you just posted 3 months ago that you may not have returns yet correct? Were there any on going fees once you did the initial purchase? Sorry for all the question, just trying to get a feel for this and they just sent me an offer to check out the Panama Coffee farm. For me I think Belize is a safer place with a more stable government than Panama....but I have not done a whole lot of research. Is there a longevity of the farm's output....say 40 years on a tree...I'm guessing they can always replant to keep production up. Thanks for any info and hope you make some good stable cash flow. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 7 2020, 23:14

I'm one of the investors and invested a few years back in a parcel. There's no report on what happened to the farms over the past years. You only get weekly (sometimes more often) marketing emails of anecdotal stories. No financials, no info specific to the batch of land belonging to your parcel. Darren promised annual owner's report, but that never came. I checked with another investor and it's the same for him. I've tried to reach out to Darren but haven't heard back anything concrete (just more anecdotal stories). I hope it's just really bad investor relationship, but I'm writing off this investment at this point. Buyers beware. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Long
Pro Member
  • Canyon Lake, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Canyon Lake, CA
Replied Jan 17 2023, 15:21

Any new information on the coffee farms?  Has anyone seen any financial return?

EDIT: Edit to add that on the GRE podcast there is a new episode about the coffee farms, posted Jan 09.  Haven’t listened to it yet but will check it out.  I’m still curious if anyone on BP has seen any return on this investment.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Eisenhauer
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 28 2024, 13:21

Going into year 8 and no cash flow.  At least it was just one parcel and I chalk it up to a lesson learned.

Still, some high-profile people were and may still be recommending this investment and with those same people.

Anyway, invest in what you know and what's closer by.

User Stats

Votes
Dev Patel
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 19 2024, 10:19

I recently was on an investor tour in Bouquette Panama. Am interested to invest in their coffee farms in Panama. Can you please call me at +17073842141. Love to connect and get your feedback