Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Jon Demma
Votes |
Starting Out - First Steps to Convert SFH Primary into Rental

Jon Demma
Posted

Hello, 

New investor, still learning. Quick background -- own a small business(10 years) in MN that has $0 debt. 

Would like to start our REI journey by converting our primary single family home into a rental. Purchased in 2017 for $305K, refi in 2020 for $236K at 3.25%, current value = $450K.

I know this is a very general question but I need some direction... Can someone point me in the right direction for the next steps to take? Anything to be on the look out for(good and bad)? 

I will gladly give back once I have some experience under my belt. Thank you very much in advance for any help!!! 

User Stats

Votes
Jessica Angulo
Lender
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Miami, FL
Replied
Quote from @Jon Demma:

Hello, 

New investor, still learning. Quick background -- own a small business(10 years) in MN that has $0 debt. 

Would like to start our REI journey by converting our primary single family home into a rental. Purchased in 2017 for $305K, refi in 2020 for $236K at 3.25%, current value = $450K.

I know this is a very general question but I need some direction... Can someone point me in the right direction for the next steps to take? Anything to be on the look out for(good and bad)? 

I will gladly give back once I have some experience under my belt. Thank you very much in advance for any help!!! 

A couple of things to consider here:

1. Do you have funds for your next primary purchase or are you needing to tap into the equity to get closing costs and down payment?

2. You can access equity of current primary by a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) or refinance. HELOCs have higher interest rate but much lower/to nearly no closing costs, refinancing has much higher closing costs but lower interest rate. Analyzing both numbers: new total payment and costs.
Also, look at how much your current primary could rent for, and ensure the rent will cover your new monthly payment. 
3. Purchase a new primary with as little as 3% down, depending on your available capital for down payment. Your current mortgage payment will not affect DTI as long as you have a future tenant lined up prior to closing on your new primary.