Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Rhim
Votes |
Any advice to update this bathroom

Nicole Rhim
Posted

Hi All,

Newbie here. I'm excited to finally get my first property but overwhelmed. Any advice on how to give this bathroom some updates while not overspending? (I want it to be tenant-sturdy). I think I will replace the counter sink with a vanity with sink, get rid of the medicine cabinet/mirror, with a more modern mirror, get rid of the shower pan, and replace it with something else (suggestions?), a shower door?

Any other suggestions/color schemes? (I know this may be a personal preference but help would be appreciated). 

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied

What are other rentals near your area offering in terns of finishes on the bathroom? I would match those and stay clear of over improving the place. 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Nicole Rhim:

Skip the shower door. Lots of maintenance and cleaning. Let the tenants use curtains that are cheap and easy, plus it allows them to determine the color/decor.

Tear out the sink and replace with a vanity that has more storage and an updated look.

Unless this is a B or better property, I would probably leave the current mirror/vanity.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Rhim
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

What are other rentals near your area offering in terns of finishes on the bathroom? I would match those and stay clear of over improving the place. 

Thank you! That is great advice. It is tough because it feels like a mix but I would say it is a B-/C+ area so I will think about that when doing this.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Rhim
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Nicole Rhim:

Skip the shower door. Lots of maintenance and cleaning. Let the tenants use curtains that are cheap and easy, plus it allows them to determine the color/decor.

Tear out the sink and replace with a vanity that has more storage and an updated look.

Unless this is a B or better property, I would probably leave the current mirror/vanity.

Thanks Nathan, this is super helpful. I would say it is a C+/B- area so may replace the mirror to keep up with the changes.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied
Quote from @Nicole Rhim:
Quote from @Nicholas Coulter:

Thank you! That is great advice. It is tough because it feels like a mix but I would say it is a B-/C+ area so I will think about that when doing this.

I’d follow Nathan’s advice. Throw in a vanity and put up a mirror. Dry wall finishes with the right paint to hold up with the humidify of a bathroom 

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @Nicole Rhim:

Hi All,

Newbie here. I'm excited to finally get my first property but overwhelmed. Any advice on how to give this bathroom some updates while not overspending? (I want it to be tenant-sturdy). I think I will replace the counter sink with a vanity with sink, get rid of the medicine cabinet/mirror, with a more modern mirror, get rid of the shower pan, and replace it with something else (suggestions?), a shower door?

Any other suggestions/color schemes? (I know this may be a personal preference but help would be appreciated). 

Thanks!

Check the most recent rental comps to give you ideas for finishes to get the rent you are targeting.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

Magnus Properties LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Travis Timmons#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Votes |
Travis Timmons#4 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ellsworth, ME
Replied

Agree with everyone else - Install a nice pre-fab vanity, tasteful mirror, add a nice light fixture, and slap a coat of paint on the wall. If you want to clean up the shower and add new fixtures, that's a cheap fix too. I'm not sure that you need it, but it's another cheap update.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Find out if you're required by the local code to have a medicine cabinet before you take it out.

If it were mine I would leave the shower alone, as has been said above let the renter bring a shower curtain.

A nice touch is to provide some nice metal shower curtain hanging rings already installed on the rod and a nice translucent milky colored shower curtain that fits, brand new sitting on top of the toilet tank waiting for them when they move in- so they can take a shower and not have water go all over the floor for the first few days. Check out dollar store for something like that.

In the same vein having a new role of toilet paper on the roller for them is a nice touch also.

As far as the sink area, if it were mine I Would replace the bar sink with a large white or maybe beige oval China Bowl. Simply cutting out bigger hole in the top. I would also opt for a taller faucet set into the edge of the sink rather than the countertop.

I would also explore how much work it would be to move that white cabinet from the left side to the right side including replacing the floor underneath because it probably is not vinyl. My goal with that would be to have a small seated vanity where someone could sit down on a bench. With a small bench in there that the renter could slide in and out and sit on. Some ladies like to have this to put on their makeup or do other personal things.

Mirror. Even If there is no requirement for a medicine cabinet I might move it to the side on the left side, And have a mirror cut to fill the entire back wall up to the 7 foot mark if possible for tall people. Little light fixture above it such as the ones that you see with four white globes and the bulbs inside.

Or I might just leave the sink area alone other than changing the sink and the faucet, while fixing all of the chips and paint issues on the front face of what's already there.

I would be looking to do this on the cheap. I think that the sink is a detractor and the faucets coming out of the countertop are going to be a problem for the countertop if they leak, whereas if they were in the sink edge the leak would go down into the drain.

The positive to having the sink drain side open to the renters eye is they can spot water leaks before they turn into major mold issues and placing a pretty trash can in there gives it a home in a small bathroom. Although some people believe this makes the unit look very motel like. There may be no difference in rental dollars or desirability for covering it up other than the personal taste of the owner.

Good Luck!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Elavo-22-in-Oval-Porcelain-Ceramic-Drop-In-Top-Mount-Bathroom-Sink-in-White-with-Overflow-Drain-KCT-101/323337066

User Stats

Votes
Rhealaine Sayson
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Memphis
Votes |
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Memphis
Replied

Congrats on your first property! For a budget-friendly and tenant-sturdy bathroom update, you could replace the counter sink with a vanity with a durable quartz countertop and an under mount sink for easy cleaning. A frameless mirror can make the space feel larger, and a mirrored cabinet can add storage. Swapping the shower curtain for a glass door can modernize the look, but a nice shower curtain will do if that's too pricey. Keep the color scheme neutral, like soft grays or whites, and add color with accessories. Replacing old hardware with modern finishes like brushed nickel or matte black can also make a big difference.

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Rhim
Votes |
Replied
Quote from @Scott Mac:

Find out if you're required by the local code to have a medicine cabinet before you take it out.

If it were mine I would leave the shower alone, as has been said above let the renter bring a shower curtain.

A nice touch is to provide some nice metal shower curtain hanging rings already installed on the rod and a nice translucent milky colored shower curtain that fits, brand new sitting on top of the toilet tank waiting for them when they move in- so they can take a shower and not have water go all over the floor for the first few days. Check out dollar store for something like that.

In the same vein having a new role of toilet paper on the roller for them is a nice touch also.

As far as the sink area, if it were mine I Would replace the bar sink with a large white or maybe beige oval China Bowl. Simply cutting out bigger hole in the top. I would also opt for a taller faucet set into the edge of the sink rather than the countertop.

I would also explore how much work it would be to move that white cabinet from the left side to the right side including replacing the floor underneath because it probably is not vinyl. My goal with that would be to have a small seated vanity where someone could sit down on a bench. With a small bench in there that the renter could slide in and out and sit on. Some ladies like to have this to put on their makeup or do other personal things.

Mirror. Even If there is no requirement for a medicine cabinet I might move it to the side on the left side, And have a mirror cut to fill the entire back wall up to the 7 foot mark if possible for tall people. Little light fixture above it such as the ones that you see with four white globes and the bulbs inside.

Or I might just leave the sink area alone other than changing the sink and the faucet, while fixing all of the chips and paint issues on the front face of what's already there.

I would be looking to do this on the cheap. I think that the sink is a detractor and the faucets coming out of the countertop are going to be a problem for the countertop if they leak, whereas if they were in the sink edge the leak would go down into the drain.

The positive to having the sink drain side open to the renters eye is they can spot water leaks before they turn into major mold issues and placing a pretty trash can in there gives it a home in a small bathroom. Although some people believe this makes the unit look very motel like. There may be no difference in rental dollars or desirability for covering it up other than the personal taste of the owner.

Good Luck!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KRAUS-Elavo-22-in-Oval-Porcelain-Ceramic-Drop-In-Top-Mount-Bathroom-Sink-in-White-with-Overflow-Drain-KCT-101/323337066

Thank you! The detail here is great. You have given me some great ideas :)

User Stats

Votes
Steve K.
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Boulder, CO
Replied

Avoid the classic beginner mistake of over-spending on non-necessary over-improvements. If it was a Class A property and you had to make it really nice in order to fetch premium rent, I could see spending money on it. But for a Class B-/C+ property I would just replace the sink/countertop with an inexpensive new vanity and call it good. Save your money for the next cap-ex event, you'll need it!