Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Nightmare Surprise Before Closing

Posted

Hello everyone, 

As the title says, we are 3 weeks away from closing and we are in a big dilemma. For background information, I'm a W-2 contract employee who makes 80k+ a year and I have been working at this job since January of this year. We went through a local company for an FHA loan and were approved. At this point, we are three weeks away from closing on our first house (August 22nd). We did the appraisal, got the lawyer, and everything was set. We spent money on the inspector, the appraiser, and the lawyer. Yesterday, my lender texted me and said that my job won't list me as a permanent employee when she ALREADY knew my situation and knew that I was a contract worker. She didn't bother to disclose this to me initially; now we are deep in the process. I'm not sure what to do in this situation, whether to drop the deal and lose my earnest money or try to find another lender. Any guidance/ tips on how to proceed would be very appreciated. Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas Coulter
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Southern California
Replied

Did you waive your contingencies already?

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

Can you use Bank Statements to prove income? Some lenders are fine with this, some are not. If yours is not, dump her and find one who is.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Paul De Luca
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied
Quote from @Veronica Mitchell:

Hello everyone, 

As the title says, we are 3 weeks away from closing and we are in a big dilemma. For background information, I'm a W-2 contract employee who makes 80k+ a year and I have been working at this job since January of this year. We went through a local company for an FHA loan and were approved. At this point, we are three weeks away from closing on our first house (August 22nd). We did the appraisal, got the lawyer, and everything was set. We spent money on the inspector, the appraiser, and the lawyer. Yesterday, my lender texted me and said that my job won't list me as a permanent employee when she ALREADY knew my situation and knew that I was a contract worker. She didn't bother to disclose this to me initially; now we are deep in the process. I'm not sure what to do in this situation, whether to drop the deal and lose my earnest money or try to find another lender. Any guidance/ tips on how to proceed would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Did your lender present you any options for continuing forward or you simply can't get approved for a loan without being a permanent employee?

I recommend connecting with @Zack Karp to see what you can do in this situation.

• Real Estate Agent Illinois (#475.190985)

Magnus Properties LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Small claims against the lender maybe, maybe, maybe???????

User Stats

Votes
Zack Karp
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Schaumburg, IL
Replied

@Paul De Luca thanks for tagging me in

@Veronica Mitchell did you get this sorted yet? If not, feel free to reach out. Some lenders are more conservative than others when it comes to contract employees. FHA does not have a clear definition in their guidelines, but most lenders have stability standards, depending on several factors (contract length, previous employment, etc). Happy to look into it if you still need help.

Zachary Karp Mortgage Team, Logo