Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$69.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Justin Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Creative Investment Strategy

Justin Harris
Pro Member
Posted

BiggerPockets Community,

My wife and I currently live in Seattle and are looking for guidance in our real estate investment strategy. Currently, we own a home in West Seattle and have approximately $200K in equity. We bought the house in 2021 and have a 3.5% interest rate. Our current house is 76 years old and will soon require major repairs. We are in the process of identifying lenders to get a better understanding of the lending requirements for these ideas. If you are a local lender interested in working with us, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Below are some thoughts and we'd love y'alls feedback. If any other ideas are out there, please share. 

Thank you all for your guidance!

Thoughts:

1. Build DADU in backyard while living in single family. Once DADU is complete, move into DADU and tear down single family and rebuild single family with ADU.

2. Tear down current house and build single family with ADU and DADU and complete construction all at the same time. NOTE: We would most likely find a free place to live aka the in-laws :-)

3. After completion of construction, do we condoize and sell the single family and ADU (separately) and keep the DADU for rental and living while in town?

Considerations:

-Cost to build at $350/sqft 

-Estimated value of 1,000sqft DADU (3bd / 2ba) after completion: $600K

-Estimated after completion value of 2,000sqft single family (4bd / 3ba): $900K

-Estimated after completion value of 1,000sqft ADU (3bd / 2ba) after completion: $550K

• Justin Harris
  • User Stats

Votes
    Chris Seveney
    Pro Member
    #3 All Forums Contributor
    • Investor
    • Virginia
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    #3 All Forums Contributor
    • Investor
    • Virginia
    Replied
    Quote from @Justin Harris:

BiggerPockets Community,

My wife and I currently live in Seattle and are looking for guidance in our real estate investment strategy. Currently, we own a home in West Seattle and have approximately $200K in equity. We bought the house in 2021 and have a 3.5% interest rate. Our current house is 76 years old and will soon require major repairs. We are in the process of identifying lenders to get a better understanding of the lending requirements for these ideas. If you are a local lender interested in working with us, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Below are some thoughts and we'd love y'alls feedback. If any other ideas are out there, please share. 

Thank you all for your guidance!

Thoughts:

1. Build DADU in backyard while living in single family. Once DADU is complete, move into DADU and tear down single family and rebuild single family with ADU.

2. Tear down current house and build single family with ADU and DADU and complete construction all at the same time. NOTE: We would most likely find a free place to live aka the in-laws :-)

3. After completion of construction, do we condoize and sell the single family and ADU (separately) and keep the DADU for rental and living while in town?

Considerations:

-Cost to build at $350/sqft 

-Estimated value of 1,000sqft DADU (3bd / 2ba) after completion: $600K

-Estimated after completion value of 2,000sqft single family (4bd / 3ba): $900K

-Estimated after completion value of 1,000sqft ADU (3bd / 2ba) after completion: $550K

The real question is, how accurate are the numbers and how much wiggle room do you have. If the DADU or ADU pricing is off and its costs $350k to build it (and is that number correct) thats the real question. Based on above and you find somewhere else, sure knock it down and build if those numbers are correct.

• Chris Seveney
  • User Stats

Votes
    Justin Harris
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied

Thank you for your response and input, Chris!

• Justin Harris
  • PropStream logo
    PropStream
    |
    Sponsored
    Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.