Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Schmelzer
Votes |
Real estate investing with my inheritance/savings?

Ryan Schmelzer
Posted

So, last month I was laid-off from a job I held for about two years. Oddly enough, it feels like a blessing in disguise because I had grown tired of it. Despite being remote, I felt confined to my desk every day with little mobility, and the heavy emphasis on commission made it a rollercoaster experience.

During a recent trip to the States (I'm Canadian), I had a realization. After speaking with several successful real estate investors with multiple properties. That I could take some of my inheritance and savings, around $400K total tied up in investments with TD Waterhouse, and using a portion of it to invest in a rental property(s)

Currently without a job and hesitant to return to a similar situation, I'm at a crossroads. Does anyone have advice or experience they could share?

User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied

With $400K can you get into real estate investing?  Certainly!  You have enough to build a decent portfolio. Please get educated before you start writing checks.

What concerns me is you started this post by talking about how you are jobless.  It appears you are thinking that your new job will be investing in rental property. Without steady income, the odds you can successfully make that transition are very low.  You would be much better off finding a job that can at least cover your living costs while you build your portfolio.

• Greg Scott