Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Sharon McCants
Votes |
Should I sell cash flowing property to buy 2 more with the cash?

Sharon McCants
Posted

Hi, this is my first post and I'd like some feedback from experienced investors. I'm considering selling my rental property in Atlanta to buy additional properties in the Pittsburgh PA area (using 1031 Exchange). My Atlanta property appraised for $320k and I owe $65k at 6 1/2% ARM (with 1% cap/yr). Rent is $2600 and cash flow is $1500/mth.

I initially tried to get a home equity loan on rental, but due to my DTI ratio I ended up with an offer for a DSCR loan at 9% for about $150k equity and over $17k in closing costs, which I turned down.

This rental property was totally renovated from a fire about two years ago and is basically a new home.  My model tenant (best tenant we ever had) will be moving Dec 1 so I'm looking at my options.  The property has had little to no maintenance and it's in a decent neighborhood with mostly homeowners. 

I've seen a number of turnkey properties in Pgh (my former hometown) in the $100k range, so I think I could purchase a multi-family or two single family houses and possibly double my cash flow. 

I'd love to get your suggestions on how to proceed. 

User Stats

Votes
Josh Bowser
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, Ga
Replied

Hey Sharon - I hope you are well!

I'm originally from Western PA as well (Slippery Rock) and now reside in Atlanta.

Here is how I am looking at it along with the assumptions I am making:

1) I think the growth prospects are better in the Atlanta market than Pittsburgh from a pure demographics standpoint.
2) I estimate your return on equity at 7.2% currently

3) Over the long haul appreciation is going to take you further when it comes to net worth than cashflow will

4) Doubling of the roofs is doubling the expenses

Things to consider:

1) What is the year built of your Atlanta property vs. what you could replace it with in PGH?
2) 7.2% return on equity is pretty decent in today's market. Can you go out and increase that comfortably in pittsburgh?
3) Do you think you would like owning rentals in Pittsburgh more than Atlanta? The emotional / confidence factor does matter when it comes to conviction to hold over the longhaul.
4) Are you improving or decreasing in the quality of area you are going into in order to acheive this cashflow in PGH?

Would love to chat through this situation with you as I am always pulled to invest in Western PA when student rentals pop up near SRU. Shoot me a DM!