Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Building first rental property. Any advice welcomed

Patrick Padovano
Posted Jul 8 2024, 22:42

I currently own my primary residence and recently decided to buy a piece of raw land where my father’s construction company is, and with his help,  build a single family home on it which will become a long term rental when completed. I originally created an llc to purchase the land, however decided after to buy it in my name and transfer into the llc after the house is built, rented, and refinanced. I may or may not need to take out a small construction loan along the way, depending on how expensive things get. I’m very new to all of this so any advice on things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone! 

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
  • Investor / Mentor / Contractor
  • Arcadia, CA Buying Out of State
Votes |
Replied Jul 8 2024, 22:55

Good luck building your new rental.  Every time I've looked into building to rent the numbers did not make sense. I would sell the new build, but to hold as a rental, just didn't make sense. Buying existing rentals and improving it is another story.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 9 2024, 02:09
Quote from @Patrick Padovano:

Since your father is helping you build, I assume you can build the home cheaper than if you hired an outsider, which means it may cash flow nicely. Here's a guide that describes what good cash flow looks like and how to analyze a property.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/rental-property-cash-flow...

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 9 2024, 12:42
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

Good luck building your new rental.  Every time I've looked into building to rent the numbers did not make sense. I would sell the new build, but to hold as a rental, just didn't make sense. Buying existing rentals and improving it is another story.

typically I'd agree but we build a stacked triplex that does very well with build cost around 380k and rent at 5k a month. value is about 600k I think you need to build multiple dwelling units in the same building for the numbers to work

User Stats

Votes
Tim Ryan
Votes |
Replied Jul 10 2024, 17:43
Quote from @Robert Ellis:
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

typically I'd agree but we build a stacked triplex that does very well with build cost around 380k and rent at 5k a month. value is about 600k I think you need to build multiple dwelling units in the same building for the numbers to work

Robert, yeah that's good numbers on your triplex's.  Love it!

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Padovano
Replied Jul 18 2024, 15:01
Quote from @Tim Ryan:

Ya I hear a lot of the same from people! So being able to work with my father and his company is a huge advantage so I think I’ll be able to turn a decent amount of equity by the time we finish

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Padovano
Replied Jul 18 2024, 15:02
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Patrick Padovano:

Since your father is helping you build, I assume you can build the home cheaper than if you hired an outsider, which means it may cash flow nicely. Here's a guide that describes what good cash flow looks like and how to analyze a property.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog/rental-property-cash-flow...

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!