Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Telles
Pro Member
Votes |
1st investment property financing

Joshua Telles
Pro Member
Posted

Hello everyone! 

First time posting and getting into the investment scene, I currently have a single family home that was my previous primary, and looking into purchasing my 1st true investment property, trying to find some advice on the financial aspect of the purchase, here's my scenario;

Currently going through pre-approval with the builder and I do have liquid assets enough to cover the downpayment for the property (40k) but I do have a car note (41k, 800 monthly, extra 500 to principal monthly) and a Patio upgrade (25k no interest till March 2025).

I'm unsure if route A) Payoff the car note, and patio with liquid.... and do a 2nd mortgage on the single family (40-50k) for the downpayment on the investment property, or B) just use the liquid to pay for the downpayment and ride out the car note and patio till when its due.

Had a rough quote on the 2nd mortgage which would be 500 monthly, and I guess a follow up question would be; If going route (A) would I need to get the 2nd mortgage before or after pre-approval from the builder? When should I do the 2nd mortgage route for future investments?

Thank you again everyone and I'm excited to be a part of this group! Trying to see financial freedom! 

• Joshua Telles
  • User Stats

Votes
    Ty Coutts
    Lender
    • Lender
    Votes |
    Lender
    • Lender
    Replied

Hi Joshua,

I recommend leveraging financing options for your investment property purchase. Using a second mortgage or a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC) on your single-family home can provide the needed funds for the down payment while preserving your liquid assets. This strategy can enhance your investment portfolio without depleting your savings. Secure pre-approval for the second mortgage or HELOC before committing to the builder to ensure a smooth transaction. Financing can also offer potential tax benefits and help maintain liquidity for future investment opportunities. Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions, want to discuss, or would like to get your financing started!

User Stats

Votes
    Timothy G Dunson
    • Real Estate Agent
    • San Antonio, TX
    Votes |
    • Real Estate Agent
    • San Antonio, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Joshua Telles:

Hello everyone! 

First time posting and getting into the investment scene, I currently have a single family home that was my previous primary, and looking into purchasing my 1st true investment property, trying to find some advice on the financial aspect of the purchase, here's my scenario;

Currently going through pre-approval with the builder and I do have liquid assets enough to cover the downpayment for the property (40k) but I do have a car note (41k, 800 monthly, extra 500 to principal monthly) and a Patio upgrade (25k no interest till March 2025).

I'm unsure if route A) Payoff the car note, and patio with liquid.... and do a 2nd mortgage on the single family (40-50k) for the downpayment on the investment property, or B) just use the liquid to pay for the downpayment and ride out the car note and patio till when its due.

Had a rough quote on the 2nd mortgage which would be 500 monthly, and I guess a follow up question would be; If going route (A) would I need to get the 2nd mortgage before or after pre-approval from the builder? When should I do the 2nd mortgage route for future investments?

Thank you again everyone and I'm excited to be a part of this group! Trying to see financial freedom! 

I'm a bit confused. Are you building your investment property?

BiggerPockets logo
    BiggerPockets
    |
    Sponsored
    Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
    Joshua Telles
    Pro Member
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    Replied
    Quote from @Timothy G Dunson:

Hello everyone! 

Yes, currently there are new builds going for 30k off, with builder buying down points, and covering a portion of closing costs. The first loan officer offered a 7.8 on a DSCR, but the builder is able to do a 5.8 with mentioned incentives.

• Joshua Telles
  • User Stats

Votes
    Charles Holder
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • San Antonio, TX
    Votes |
    Pro Member
    • Lender
    • San Antonio, TX
    Replied
    Quote from @Timothy G Dunson:

Hello everyone! 

Yes, currently there are new builds going for 30k off, with builder buying down points, and covering a portion of closing costs. The first loan officer offered a 7.8 on a DSCR, but the builder is able to do a 5.8 with mentioned incentives.

double check with builder. They give much more incentives for occupied vs non owner occupied.  Make sure your not assuming anything and coming up short.

• Charles Holder