Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Joanna Mendoza
Pro Member
Votes |
Advise needed for 1st Investment Property

Joanna Mendoza
Pro Member
Posted Jul 6 2024, 10:38

This is my first time browsing this forum. Please be patient with me. I am sure some of my questions have probably been answered before. 

My aunt purchased a property in Tucson Arizona with a single family house. The house will be vacant starting September 2024. She is based in the Philippines and plans to stay in the property every 2-3 years for only a couple of weeks. So technically the property will be empty most of the time. She wants me to help maintain the property. 

Since I will be maintaining her property, I am planning to offer her to convert it to an Airbnb rental and I will run it for her since I am based in Tucson, Arizona. Considering I will be maintaining the property (overseeing the construction so I can convert it to a multiplex, all the Airbnb needs including advertising and looking for customers), what would be a fair split? Or is there an acceptable or usual profit sharing for this kind of arrangement? I was thinking 65 (Mine)- 35 (Aunt). I am thinking this would be fair since she had no intentions to earn from it to start with.

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Holden
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jul 6 2024, 11:26

Most property manager cover all the services you offer charge a flat fee of 20% gross revenue. 65% is exorbitant - its 3.5X the market rate. Im a realtor and investor in Phoenix, feel free to ping me 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied Jul 8 2024, 08:17

@Joanna Mendoza 50/50 split would be the highest you might request from your aunt.

Of course, the split would be AFTER all STR expenses are covered.

Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
The Easiest Way to Save 150 hours & $5,000 / year Stop the busy work and start growing your RE business with market leading APY & automated finances

User Stats

Votes
Mya Toohey
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Tampa Florida
Replied Jul 8 2024, 10:25

I see your thought process on the split. She wasn't planning on making any money. You need to check out the local rules and regulations before you get too ahead of yourself. Make sure that the property is allowable and that the returns are good. You could end up investing money for it not to even be a good fit for STR. I am in the Tampa Florida area and we have very stringent rules and regulations all around where I am.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 8 2024, 13:35
Quote from @Mya Toohey:

I see your thought process on the split. She wasn't planning on making any money. You need to check out the local rules and regulations before you get too ahead of yourself. Make sure that the property is allowable and that the returns are good. You could end up investing money for it not to even be a good fit for STR. I am in the Tampa Florida area and we have very stringent rules and regulations all around where I am.

Definitely second this - if you were thinking of taking 65% for yourself I would imagine you're pretty new to the STR management space (not a criticism, just an observation). STR regulations are a big consideration before you make any big capital improvements specifically for short term stays, also running your numbers and making sure that your area offers consistent returns above what you'd get renting it long-term. Generally STR's make more, but if you run your numbers and it comes back similar to your LTR numbers, I'd go with a long-term tenant for stability and less work.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 19 2024, 18:14

Mya Toohey in Tampa. Your a Real Estate Agent? The property is in the Philippine's? You want to STR it? Do you know the Laws out there? Do you know that Tuscon is the Marijuana Capital of the US? What a mess.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 20 2024, 05:18

The harsh truth is that you aren't looking out for your aunt. You're basically wanting to use her property to make money for yourself.

A professional property manager would charge around 20-25%. I don't think it's appropriate to charge as much as a professional would, and I certainly don't agree with you keeping 2/3 of the money.