The First Step

The First Step

Member since 2024 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello all! 

I recently joined the BP community and have already been shown a tremendous amount of support! I am greatly appreciative for any and all information that is shared, so thank you for that. 

That being said, I am still quite hesitant on taking my first step into the REI industry. After speaking with a local realtor and lender for quite some time to just get some information, they advised me that we are currently in a "buyers market" compared to a "sellers market." They suggested that I take the steps towards acquiring my first primary residence now because it could pay off in the near future. However, I am just not sure if the numbers are there so to speak.

With providing some rough numbers, my extended work experience with my company, and my credit to the lender, he informed me that I could potentially qualify for a $250k property with an FHA loan and a conventional down payment assistance loan which would put me with little to no money down out of pocket. He even mentioned a term "sellers concessions" that I guess has something to do with the seller helping out with the closing costs. With the average apartment in my area ranging from about $1600 and up, having a mortgage rate between $1200-$1400 (again, rough numbers the lender provided me with) doesn't sound too bad considering my money would be going towards my investment and not just right out the window.

Now all this sounds very intriguing considering I am ready and willing to take these steps, but with where I am at as an hourly wage employee living paycheck to paycheck, in a VERY expensive town to live in, the numbers just seem quite daunting. I have been with this company for going on 3 years now which the lender said helps me out a bunch when trying to qualify. But if I were to try and find another place of employment that pays me more, would that hinder me when it comes to qualifying? Or do I use the track record I already have to my advantage and then make the switch? If I do make the purchase for a house now, can I sell it in the near future or am I stuck with it? - the goal would be to turn the property into a rental property, or some other sort of profitable investment. I am just trying to see what my options are when it comes to purchasing the house and turning it into an investment down the road. I already have a buddy willing to move in with me to help with the expenses of the house. Also worth noting, after some quick searches, there's not really a whole lot of promising properties near me going for that price range. As a single father, I can't justify living in a sketchy part of town for a year or two just to make an investment. His safety is the priority. 

Also another "spitball" comment here that's a bit of a tangent, with the end goal being to become a successful REI, is it worth taking the time to become an agent? - this could also be another career shift for me considering I am trying to find a more profitable source of income for my 9-5 job. But of course, this takes time and would mean that I would be stuck at my job where I am at now for at least another year or so. Just another piece of information that I would love some insight/advice on.

I guess my main concern is, is it worth taking the steps to purchase now or do I need to get more ducks in a row before starting my journey into the REI world? - again, any and ALL advice/tips are greatly appreciated! Also, if there's anyone local who might have some more local insight, feel free to shoot me a message and maybe we can get together and discuss things further!

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post! 

Best Regards, 

Christopher Rodriguez.

0Reply
32 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Christopher Rodriguez:

    I can't address everything in your post, but I can advise you to talk to other agents. Nashville is a Seller's market. Here is just one example: https://nashvillecityliving.com/market-stats

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Christopher Rodriguez

    Welcome to the forums. I'm local to the greater Nashville area so I can provide you with some insight.

    Firstly, to address your very last point....there is NEVER going to be a right time to enter the real estate market. You will ALWAYS have a reason not to. Switching jobs, child on the way, rates high, prices high, election year, getting married, etc. There is always a reason you can talk yourself out of it. 

    By definition, Nashville is still a seller's market. The agent you spoke to is probably referring to the crazy boom of the covid years where buyer's literally had zero negotiating power. 

    Seller concessions are possible now that the market is no longer the wild west. You can get seller paid closing costs as a credit towards your title expenses, etc. 

    Right now, we are in a weird phase of the market cycle. It is cheaper to rent than it is to buy right now. Especially when you factor in home maintenance and repairs. 

    You are going to have a tough time finding something reasonable at 250k in the Nashville area. That is a very low budget for the price of homes here. I would strongly suggest you expand your search to the surrounding markets. That will open up your ability to find a decent home in a decent area. I would also look at townhomes if that is your price range.

    Absolutely you should house hack. It will greatly help you offset your cost. That is actually a MUST do in your situation so at the very least you should be looking at 2 bedrooms.

    Best of luck out there. There will be ups and downs, but just make sure you keep moving forward. 

  • Member since 2021 · 16 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    Hey @Christopher Rodriguez

    Local agent here! There is a lot to breakdown from your post and I certainly won't be able to hit it all here. We have seen the market shift some and are starting to see more of the sellers concessions in the areas surround Nashville such as Hendersonville, Gallatin, Madison, etc. However this is not happening so much in Nashville as it is still incredibly expensive and desireable. 

    It sounds like a great option for you would be to talk to some additional lenders/agents and get their take on it. I am not a lender, but I can't imagine you getting a $250k loan with downpayment assitance and have it be less than $1400/mo. 

    Buying a primary home is a great way to get into a property with little down. Also this market is a great area to invest in and has seen a lot of appreciation. So I would definitely say getting into a property if you can comfortably do so is the best option. The sooner the better! 

    I do specialize in all of middle TN so let me know if you would like to connect and we could get a little more in depth. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.