Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
NEWBIES need to STOP doing this.

Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Posted May 30 2024, 08:26

I see post after post after post, hey can I get a list of your contractors, PM'S and hey how about a call so I can learn. We all worked hard for years; we are not just going to give it away. Have a read

A good friend shared this story recently; a nice story about effort vs. skill – a good reminder that in many areas of work/life time and outcome aren’t always aligned; especially in the space…

A giant ship’s engine failed. The ship’s owners tried one ‘professional’ after another but none of them could figure out how to fix the broken engine.

Then they brought in a man who had been fixing ships since he was young.
He carried a large bag of tools with him and when he arrived immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship’s owners were there watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away and the engine was fixed!!!

A week later, the owners received an invoice from the old man for $10,000.

What?! the owners exclaimed. “He hardly did anything..!!!”.

So they wrote to the man; “Please send us an itemised invoice.”

The man sent an invoice that read:

Tapping with a hammer………………….. $2.00

Knowing where to tap…………………….. $9,998.00

Effort is important but experience and knowing where to direct that effort makes all the difference.

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 13 2024, 22:31

@Bob Stevens Agreed. While I’m happy to share lots of information with folks it’s very rare that I will give out information like my primary contractor’s name or the names of any of his subs because I keep them busy full time and am not willing to lose my own time with them to someone else.

It’s nothing personal it’s just a fact of life. Often if you’re getting names from someone else it’s likely not their #1 pick because they save them for their own projects.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 14 2024, 04:18
Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

@Bob Stevens Agreed. While I’m happy to share lots of information with folks it’s very rare that I will give out information like my primary contractor’s name or the names of any of his subs because I keep them busy full time and am not willing to lose my own time with them to someone else.

It’s nothing personal it’s just a fact of life. Often if you’re getting names from someone else it’s likely not their #1 pick because they save them for their own projects.

I get requests all the time, hey bob can you send me a list of your PM's contractors, realtors, handyman etc, Oh so you do not want to do any work, I will just hand over my rolodex. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied Jul 14 2024, 05:48
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I've seen this story before and love it. 

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 14 2024, 05:52

@Bob Stevens

“Investor friendly” (insert type of contractor you need) - everytime I hear that I think - they want the cheapest price available.

Saw a post recently on here someone complaining that tenant was complaining hvac was not working and they were doing trial and error to fix it. I would be ticked off too.

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:57
Quote from @Nathan Gesner:
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

I've seen this story before and love it. 

LOVE IT!!!! 

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied Jul 14 2024, 06:58
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

@Bob Stevens

“Investor friendly” (insert type of contractor you need) - everytime I hear that I think - they want the cheapest price available.

Saw a post recently on here someone complaining that tenant was complaining hvac was not working and they were doing trial and error to fix it. I would be ticked off too.

100% 

User Stats

Votes
Calvin Thomas
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Votes |
  • Developer
  • New York City, NY
Replied Jul 14 2024, 19:50

You are mostly correct.  People see on the TV shows how easy it looks to jump into real estate. It's not easy, it's quite hard.  Ask any property manager who's taken over a building or two from a self-service landlord.

There are two things one needs to get into real estate investing.  One, capital, and a lot of it.  Two, common sense.  Sadly, most go into real estate without either.

The best teacher is experience. I always recommend to anyone start with a duplex, manage it from there and then grow.  Hands on experience is what's needed.  Mistakes are your best teachers in life.