Professional Painter or DIY?

Professional Painter or DIY?

Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes

Hello BiggerPockets community!

I recently received a quote to paint the entire interior of my recently purchased home. The home is 1500 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and was built in 1979 with a wood frame. The quote was $5352.00 ($3,650 for labor and $1,702 for materials). The painter does exceptional work, but the price is a little higher than I expected.

My appraisal was only for the interior, but the painter said that we could discuss painting the exterior based on my budget. The painter mentioned that reattaching/replacing some panels and applying a new coat of paint on the exterior would prolong the life of the home.

I bought the home for 5% down and I am renovating the property with the intention of getting it reappraised to eliminate PMI. I am in the process of remodeling the kitchen and both bathrooms. I will live there for a year (It was an REO and I signed an addendum that I have to live there at least a year) while I complete the remodel and then rent the property out to establish cashflow.

I have a few questions I would like feedback on from the community.

  • 1) How much does a well-done paint job add to the appraisal of a home vs doing it yourself with little to no experience?
  • 2) How important is it to have a variety of colors throughout the home? Would it be insane to paint everything a neutral white?
  • 3) Should I seek out other painters?

Separate considerations:

  • a) My friend works for this painter and I have been trying to pay her on the side to do the work under the table.
  • b) I am trying to get the kitchen painted by June 2nd because I am having the cabinets installed and the kitchen is already demoed.
  • c) I currently have a contractor working on the bathroom and she agreed to paint the kitchen but she has been very slow.

Thank you for all the advice!

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · MI · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 478 votes
2y
If you have more money than time, pay someone. If you have more time than money, do it yourself.

Painting isn't that hard, but its much harder than it looks to do a nice job. Tape, patience, and two coats will serve you well if you decide to do it yourself.

I use a neutral white in all my properties Sherwin Williams "Weathered Bone". It isn't exciting but it is very neutral, and cuts in easy for repaints. Sometimes if I have paint left over from a different project I'll do an accent wall but I wouldn't spend much time fussing over paint color, its a rental not a Better Homes and Gardens front pager.
See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kyle MccawBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Keller, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Troy Parker an appraiser is not interested in who painted the house.

    It sounds like you are trying to bootstrap this remodel together. I would just start painting it yourself tonight.

    McCaw Property Management4.4902 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Even though you are only living here for a year you are going to want to paint it again before you rent it out. Is the paint so bad you can't live with it for a year and then decide this next year.  To actually answer your question though painting is not hard but you will not get the same results as a pro, and I argue you don't need to.  Take your time, buy nice brushes and go for a 14 inch roller and this is fairly easy to do.  You have 2 assets and they both have limits though so you really have to ask yourself which is worth more your money or your time.  For me it is the money and I paint myself but think hard about that in your situation.  I feel like it is highway robbery what painters charge and I cannot fathom ever spending 1700 in materials in such a small property, probably closer to 500 absolutely tops and that's if you need new painting equipment.  

  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath unit built in 1975 about 1200 sq feet and just finished remodeling the 2 baths. I had the entire unit painted Whisper White from Sherwin Williams from baseboard to ceiling.  The labor for the painting was $5150.  The windows are original aluminum and the sills were cracked and paint peeling. They were able to repair, caulk and now look great. The French doors were painted, so this was also labor-intensive. I am voting you consider hiring a professional.  Although I will not be moving in, this professional paint job has added value to my rental.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y

    The price looks reasonable to me, particularly for a painter that does excellent work.

    Colors won't affect the appraisal, but the nicer a place looks the more generous the appraiser will be. If paint is a mess, they may spend more time looking and notice other negatives.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · MI · Member since 2015 · 227 posts · 478 votes
    2y
    If you have more money than time, pay someone. If you have more time than money, do it yourself.

    Painting isn't that hard, but its much harder than it looks to do a nice job. Tape, patience, and two coats will serve you well if you decide to do it yourself.

    I use a neutral white in all my properties Sherwin Williams "Weathered Bone". It isn't exciting but it is very neutral, and cuts in easy for repaints. Sometimes if I have paint left over from a different project I'll do an accent wall but I wouldn't spend much time fussing over paint color, its a rental not a Better Homes and Gardens front pager.
  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Troy Parker if you’ll be living there for a year, anyway, why not take a room and paint it yourself, see what kind of painter you are and if you like it enough to do it. Then decide whether or not to pay a professional. I personally found I’m good at it if it’s a simple job, normal easy walls, but hire out if its 2-story height, painting cabinetry, wood windows etc as they are a all a big pain.

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I usually pay $2500 ish for my 1000 sqft apartments, the painter is good not great but they are affordable rentals. 

    $5k seems about right to have a good paint job done. 

    Personally, I try to DIY as little as possible. It always seems to take longer, cost more and cause more stress than I plan 

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jennifer Wong:

    I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath unit built in 1975 about 1200 sq feet and just finished remodeling the 2 baths. I had the entire unit painted Whisper White from Sherwin Williams from baseboard to ceiling.  The labor for the painting was $5150.  The windows are original aluminum and the sills were cracked and paint peeling. They were able to repair, caulk and now look great. The French doors were painted, so this was also labor-intensive. I am voting you consider hiring a professional.  Although I will not be moving in, this professional paint job has added value to my rental.


     Did this include the exterior or only interior?

  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lynn McGeein:

    @Troy Parker if you’ll be living there for a year, anyway, why not take a room and paint it yourself, see what kind of painter you are and if you like it enough to do it. Then decide whether or not to pay a professional. I personally found I’m good at it if it’s a simple job, normal easy walls, but hire out if its 2-story height, painting cabinetry, wood windows etc as they are a all a big pain.

    I have thought about that, but most of the rooms have a few drywall spots that I do not have experience making repairs on. I also keep a 9-5 that often runs later than 5. I thought I would have more time when I purchased the home, but recently accepted a promotion. I'm getting paid more, but I have a lot less time. Also, I was under a time crunch to get the kitchen painted before cabinets are installed.
  • Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Gregory Schwartz:

    I usually pay $2500 ish for my 1000 sqft apartments, the painter is good not great but they are affordable rentals. 

    $5k seems about right to have a good paint job done. 

    Personally, I try to DIY as little as possible. It always seems to take longer, cost more and cause more stress than I plan 


     Does that include materials and labor?

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I provide the paint. I save money using my military discount at Lowes 

  • Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    2y

    In my learning, it's always been suggested to get multiple quotes (2-3). Helps understand market and meet multiple contractors. Make sure scopes are the same (does it include patching drywall dings/holes, painting of doors & trim, caulking any new trim installed).

    Up to you if it's worth your time for the $$.

  • Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 612 posts · 523 votes
    2y

    @Troy Parker

    Ok, this one seems pretty straight-forward. The short answer is: have someone else paint it! You are too busy and have a full-time, well paying job to focus on it. And if I was one of your clients, I would much rather you put your energy into defending me in court, then learning how to properly patch, sand, tape, and prep the walls for painting.

    I personally have painted a couple of my own projects, but I had the time and somewhat knowledge and experience, and also had run to the bottom of my budget at those times.

    A few tips/comments which may be helpful:

    *  As someone else previously posted - gets multiple quotes (3-5)
    * Ask you fellow realtor friends/associates for painter referrals
    * Check NextDoor.com for painter referrals
    * Go to the professional paint stores (Dunn-Edwards, Benjamin Moore, etc) and ask them for referrals. Sometimes they won't refer anyone, but you can try. Also, ask them what the most popular colors and color schemes are, since they deal with painters and homeowner directly, they can be treasures of information of what accent colors are being used and where, etc.
    * Call local property mgr's and/or ask for referrals from your relator friends/associates, and ask them for referrals - sometimes they will be nice enough to offer helpful advice, especially, if you tell them you will consider using them when you turn the house into a rental in a year

    As a 27yr appraiser and Realtor/Broker, the paint job has minimal affect on the value, unless it is so bad that I have to mark it down in quality and/or condition. But, a nicely designed and painted house with well thought-out accent walls, etc may subconsciously contribute to my higher classifying in quality and condition, which may somewhat influence value, but not necessarily significantly.

    Good luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    One of the biggest mistakes I encountered in years doing remodels and builds was when a customer wanted to do their own painting to 'save a few bucks'.

    It was a disaster - every. single. time.

    A pro painter is a huge plus to the finish fit and feel of any project, they are just too good. And you are just not good at all (sorry but it's true)

    If you can't afford $5k to do it right then I would suggest you are in the wrong business.....

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    Buy your time & learn to delegate. Also get 2, 3 other quotes. See who you trust the most, and is reasonably priced and move forward with a fair contract.

  • Member since 2019 · 223 posts · 261 votes
    2y

    Buy a $400 paint sprayer. Spend a couple days prepping, covering and taping. I can paint a house whole house in a couple of hours after prep is done. If you're replacing the floors make sure you paint before the floors are installed. This saves even more time. I'm not a pro just a DIYer with 15 doors and it looks great once you get the hang of the sprayer. 

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    2y

    Time for a paint party. Supply paint, pizza and beer and you should save about 4 grand but results may vary.

    Another option is just to paint the areas that look the worst and attempt to match existing paint colors--this is usually what I do if anything at all.

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I've always done it this way - if you have another job, how much do you make an hour? How long would it take out of your day to paint? If your hourly salary X hours to do the job = more than what it would cost to hire a pro...then hire the pro. Spend those hours working and pocket the difference. If you make less and if you can pull it off, then be a weekend warrior. Good luck. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    If you really want to get to cash flow much sooner, start learning to do things yourself.  When I started it was rough doing 9-5 AND rehabbing, but those trials and lessons learned paid off. Take your time, do it right the first time.  I didn't have youtube when I started. Go for it.

    Use colors that are renter/rental appropriate. At your next tenant change,  use the same color, one coat instead of two will do it.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    I've always done it this way - if you have another job, how much do you make an hour? How long would it take out of your day to paint? If your hourly salary X hours to do the job = more than what it would cost to hire a pro...then hire the pro. Spend those hours working and pocket the difference. If you make less and if you can pull it off, then be a weekend warrior. Good luck. 

    That doesn't take into account the final quality of the finished product. You can;'t quantify that so easily...


  • Member since 2024 · 5 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Troy Parker:
    Quote from @Jennifer Wong:

    I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath unit built in 1975 about 1200 sq feet and just finished remodeling the 2 baths. I had the entire unit painted Whisper White from Sherwin Williams from baseboard to ceiling.  The labor for the painting was $5150.  The windows are original aluminum and the sills were cracked and paint peeling. They were able to repair, caulk and now look great. The French doors were painted, so this was also labor-intensive. I am voting you consider hiring a professional.  Although I will not be moving in, this professional paint job has added value to my rental.


     Did this include the exterior or only interior?


    This was only for interior. I had him quote for the exterior, but most of the exterior is the responsibility of the HOA which costs me $450/mo, so I want my money's worth. However, the HOA paints only when they deem needed. I will end up painting the French door exteriors myself. The painter had showed my trade-craft using "Liquid Mask", so hoping it will be relatively easy.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    @Bruce Woodruff is so right. Anyone can paint, but it may look like a middle school project. Half the job is prep: fill and caulk, stick sand and spot texture, mask and tape. A lot of professional painters fall short here. Cutting in ceilings and trim well is the next challenge, this is where amateurs fail. A poor paint job will make the whole house look bad.

    I have not painted in a decade, but was in a pickle not long ago: Home Depot had screwed up the paint order for our contractor (new guy) and my White Clay color had a salmon-pink tone to it. They had painted the entire house without questioning that color. First the color is called  "White" Clay and "Salmon" Clay and second he knew this is a rental property - who paints their rental property in a salmon?? They just proceeded without question and finished the entire house. 

    That's why I always tell people out of state who want to invest in Milwaukee a remote BRRRR is a lot harder than you think!

    Anyway. We had tenants move in on Sunday so it had to happen on Saturday. So I rolled and edged a 1,800 sqft 3 bed 2 bath in a day. Fortunately, the ceilings were just flat white, so only had to do walls. All I had to do was a 2nd coat, no prep and me basically running not walking all day I got it done in about 10 hours. 

    Glad I got it done, but that's enough painting for me for this decade..

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    @Bruce Woodruff is so right. Anyone can paint, but it may look like a middle school project. Half the job is prep: fill and caulk, stick sand and spot texture, mask and tape. A lot of professional painters fall short here. Cutting in ceilings and trim well is the next challenge, this is where amateurs fail. A poor paint job will make the whole house look bad.

    This^^^ The cut-in is key and usually even the Pros screw this up. You can spot a professional paint job 10 miles away.

    Speaking of colors being off, here's one.....from a Stucco Contr, not a painter but same deal. even worse. Finishing up a project and had given the stucco guy the color swatch - a gold one. I show up and see his crew troweling on a green color. WTF? He actually tried to argue that it was the same color! 

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Starting off having no money means getting your hands dirty. As said above go buy paint brushes and start painting tonight. 20 minutes on YouTube university is plenty good enough to paint a rental. A lot of us on here started off doing everything. I laid my own flooring, painted, set bath tubs etc at first. You need to make a ton of money at first to scale. If you are rich and want to park money with a modest return then hire everything out. If you are now broke and want 20 doors asap well then get to work if you have the ambition.

    Ben Franklin said it best. “Most people miss opportunity because it’s dressed in overalls and looks like work.”

    Good luck!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    2y

    The answer depends on how good you are at painting and how much free time you have. Last year, I painted my own house (1100 sq ft) and a rental (1400 sq ft). I hope to not do it again anytime soon lol. 

    The materials cost sounds kind of high but the labor is not too crazy imo. If you got the money to spend and not a lot of time, I would probably let the guy do it but maybe bargain on the price a bit. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.