Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Dan Bowe
Votes |
Ex-Multifamily fund analyst looking to create a first syndication, how do I start?

Dan Bowe
Posted Mar 4 2024, 03:10

So a bit of professional background about me:

• Bachelors in finance, top of my class - I have deep understanding in debt, equities, cashflows, business operations etc

• Worked for a year as an acquisition analyst at small fund that invests in multifamily deals. Doing mainly $50M-$300M JVs with local PMs. I had my fare share of financial modeling and asset management and can say I know how to analyze deals and asset manage very well.
But, I was not too involved in the closing phases of the deals (lawyers, reports, debt placement, contract negotiations, parts of the DD...) so I lack knowledge in those parts, which I make up for in reading ton of materials and listening to podcasts.

• After that I worked for three years as a management consultant at McKinsey where I sharpened my business acumen, problem-solving, storytelling, and presentation skills. And also engaged with institutional investors on a regular basis.

I'm highly entrepreneurial and figured out that what I really want to do in my professional career is US multifamily investments.

What I've done so far is selecting the markets I'm interested in (in TX), building a comprehensive financial model to analyze deals, and creating a very detailed due diligence list. I also have an investment strategy in place (core/core+ investments, minimal to no rehab, aiming for 8%-12% IRR over a long holding period).
I even have some friends and family that want to invest with me. Together with my personal funds I can pull around $600K of equity for the first deal.

The thing is, I was never involved in the entire closing process on a property, from A-Z, myself. Not even on a SFH. I feel like I don't know what I don't know, and I feel that jumping straight to an investor-backed leveraged multifamily deal as a first timer might be a bit too much.
Yet, I see no other way to enter the multifamily space as the entrance barrier is high, and cheaper deals in tertiary markets are often cheap for a reason.

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether jumping straight to a multifamily syndication is reasonable, and if so, what would be the best path for me  to make a deal happen in the coming months?

P.S, I'm not a US citizen/resident, don't have a credit score, and plan to manage my operations remotely if that matters.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Freed
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Worcester, MA
Replied Mar 4 2024, 03:40

@Dan Bowe - The truth it, you need real life experience prior to taking other people's money. It's a big responsibility and currently with your level of expertise, I would be hesitant to you give money on the LP side. Why can't you start with some smaller residential or small multifamily commercial properties to get your feet wet, show proof of concept and possibly try to take on larger deals.

Or possibly find a local syndication group and become an employee under them learning the trade and finding a mentor in the space. I personally think it is a HUGE responsibility to take other people's money and you really need to estabalish credibility and real life experience before moving into larger deals in my humble opinion. Househack some properties, JV on some commercial and build up that knowledge before exploring OPM.

Candor Realty Worcester Logo

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Mar 4 2024, 05:15
Quote from @Dan Bowe:

So a bit of professional background about me:

• Bachelors in finance, top of my class - I have deep understanding in debt, equities, cashflows, business operations etc

• Worked for a year as an acquisition analyst at small fund that invests in multifamily deals. Doing mainly $50M-$300M JVs with local PMs. I had my fare share of financial modeling and asset management and can say I know how to analyze deals and asset manage very well.
But, I was not too involved in the closing phases of the deals (lawyers, reports, debt placement, contract negotiations, parts of the DD...) so I lack knowledge in those parts, which I make up for in reading ton of materials and listening to podcasts.

• After that I worked for three years as a management consultant at McKinsey where I sharpened my business acumen, problem-solving, storytelling, and presentation skills. And also engaged with institutional investors on a regular basis.

I'm highly entrepreneurial and figured out that what I really want to do in my professional career is US multifamily investments.

What I've done so far is selecting the markets I'm interested in (in TX), building a comprehensive financial model to analyze deals, and creating a very detailed due diligence list. I also have an investment strategy in place (core/core+ investments, minimal to no rehab, aiming for 8%-12% IRR over a long holding period).
I even have some friends and family that want to invest with me. Together with my personal funds I can pull around $600K of equity for the first deal.

The thing is, I was never involved in the entire closing process on a property, from A-Z, myself. Not even on a SFH. I feel like I don't know what I don't know, and I feel that jumping straight to an investor-backed leveraged multifamily deal as a first timer might be a bit too much.
Yet, I see no other way to enter the multifamily space as the entrance barrier is high, and cheaper deals in tertiary markets are often cheap for a reason.

Would love to hear your thoughts on whether jumping straight to a multifamily syndication is reasonable, and if so, what would be the best path for me  to make a deal happen in the coming months?

P.S, I'm not a US citizen/resident, don't have a credit score, and plan to manage my operations remotely if that matters.

Speaking pretty bluntly here, but the cards are completely stacked against you. Why:

1. You are not in the US

2. You have never bought real estate in the US

I know you mentioned you make up for your short comings in reading ton of materials and listening to podcasts. That is great, but that is not experience. Look at your analyst days, if someone read some books and listened to podcasts do you think they would be a great analyst if they had no experience? 

Now all hope is not lost, what you could do is bring on a co-gp in the US to partner with where you bring the money and some analyst experience and they bring the other piece of the puzzle that you are missing. That is what I would be offering to people.

Demo
Practice finding and analyzing deals
Tulsa, OK
$231,902 - Median Home Value
5.97% - YoY Rent Growth
$1,351 - Median Rental Income
0.58% - Rent/Price Ratio
4.56% - Appreciation
0.77% - Population Growth Rate
Find Deals

User Stats

Votes
Brock Mogensen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Syndicator
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Mar 4 2024, 08:00

My suggestion would be to partner with another GP that is a strong operator and has a presence in your target market. Your finance/PE background is something lots of syndicators are looking for in a partner. If you can bring that "Institutional Quality" to a partnership, that holds a lot of value.

User Stats

Votes
Dan Bowe
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2024, 11:29
Quote from @Andrew Freed:

@Dan Bowe - The truth it, you need real life experience prior to taking other people's money. It's a big responsibility and currently with your level of expertise, I would be hesitant to you give money on the LP side. Why can't you start with some smaller residential or small multifamily commercial properties to get your feet wet, show proof of concept and possibly try to take on larger deals.

Or possibly find a local syndication group and become an employee under them learning the trade and finding a mentor in the space. I personally think it is a HUGE responsibility to take other people's money and you really need to estabalish credibility and real life experience before moving into larger deals in my humble opinion. Househack some properties, JV on some commercial and build up that knowledge before exploring OPM.

Thanks Andrew.

How can I realistically start with smaller residential or small multifamily commercial properties? are we talking 2-4 units? Basically because I'm foreign I don't qualify for residential mortgages and it would be much easier getting an asset-based debt.
Or do you mean buying in cheaper tertiary markets?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Bowe
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2024, 11:30
Quote from @Chris Seveney:

Speaking pretty bluntly here, but the cards are completely stacked against you. Why:

1. You are not in the US

2. You have never bought real estate in the US

I know you mentioned you make up for your short comings in reading ton of materials and listening to podcasts. That is great, but that is not experience. Look at your analyst days, if someone read some books and listened to podcasts do you think they would be a great analyst if they had no experience? 

Now all hope is not lost, what you could do is bring on a co-gp in the US to partner with where you bring the money and some analyst experience and they bring the other piece of the puzzle that you are missing. That is what I would be offering to people. 

Thanks Chris, appreciate your opinion. What would you say be the best way to find a such a co-gp these days?

User Stats

Votes
Dan Bowe
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2024, 11:31
Quote from @Brock Mogensen:

My suggestion would be to partner with another GP that is a strong operator and has a presence in your target market. Your finance/PE background is something lots of syndicators are looking for in a partner. If you can bring that "Institutional Quality" to a partnership, that holds a lot of value.

Thanks Brook, appreciated. What would be the best way to find such partners?

User Stats

Votes
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Paul, MN
Votes |
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Replied Mar 5 2024, 05:55

My suggestions: 

1. Raise money and do your own deal, but be sure that those investing with you know that you don't have experience. Find excellent property management, mortgage broker, attorneys, contractors, CPA's, etc. Better yet, find a boots on the ground partner. The type of property you're targeting is lower risk and your return expectations are low.

2. Purchase a smaller multifamily that you can get into for $1.5-$2.5mm. Use your money for a down payment and learn the ropes a bit. I would purchase something that needs some light renovation, like paint and flooring, so you can experience some renovation. 

3. Find a GP doing deals in your desired market and partner with them. Make sure they're letting you take a role in the business. 

User Stats

Votes
Gino Barbaro
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied Jul 9 2024, 09:59

@Dan Bowe

There are groups out there that would like to have your skill set. You can join a syndication group and help with various roles, such as asset mgmt, underwriting, and you do have capital to invest as well

Good Luck

Gino