New RE Investor, Advice Needed

New RE Investor, Advice Needed

IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes


Hello everyone,

I've purchased/sold multiple times for my primary residence.  I'm in the process of moving from one state to another, and if all goes well in this market, I should be under contract tomorrow. My plan is to move, carry both mortgages, put about $10-15K into my current property over the next month or two, and then sell it. Some renovations on my current property are necessary, while others I believe will add proper value, but that's not the focus of my post.

Once I sell my current property, I'll have approximately $165K in cash not accounted for in my budgeting, and I have 100% options on utilization. I have a six-figure W2, and I receive stocks gifted to me and bonuses totaling upwards of an additional six figures a year. My finances are in order with a 401K, Roth, safety cash, etc., so this $165K will be available. To be very conservative, let's assume I have $100k free every year going forward.  I don't budget for any portion of that as, although it's highly probable, it's not guaranteed. Normally, I would diversify this across stocks. However, I'm not seeking advice on what to do with my current investments; I'm interested in advice assuming I just have the $165K and potential $100K/yr YoY.  To say that differently, I am not interested in tapping into stocks and other investments I own, but rather utilizing this current cash on hand and future free cash.  

I'm an avid listener of podcasts from BP but I'm new to the forums. I'm also quite knowledgeable about real estate investing through YouTube, although I understand that it can be like Googling why your knee hurts - there's a lot of information out there, and it's not all reliable. I've come across discussions on cash buying versus financing, and Airbnb versus long-term rentals. I don't 'think' I am interested in creative financing, wholesaling, or other things as such, but I am open to your mastery.  I'm moving to an area with a large hospital presence and I know someone who does Airbnb for short-term family stays. I also heard a podcast where someone does medium-term rentals for rotating nurses, etc.  In past years I always had in mind acquiring doors and having semi-steady monthly.

While I have a highly flexible schedule, I don't have the freedom to be on call at any time. Additionally, I am occasionally out of the country for 2 weeks to 3 months. I mention this because I believe I must pay for property management. I absolutely hate the idea of giving away money, but with my lack of experience and time, I 'think' it's the right approach.  With this information, where would you recommend I start, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I know you'll hate on me for this, but I am also flexible in my goal.  I love making every dollar work for me.  On one hand, I am not looking to quit my job, but would love over the next few years if it wouldn't really matter if I lost my job.  That is goal one (not having a significant impact on my life).  I don't want to stockpile cash in fear of the unknown, but I don't want to start over financially if the worst occurs.  The other is simply long-term wealth building.  So, I guess in short, stability has a greater priority, while in the long term, I lean towards possession and wealth building that maybe even my children take advantage of. 

1Reply
46 views

Most Popular Reply

James CarlsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

@Eric B.

Lot of info in there. The good news is you've got options. Less-good news is ... you've got options. Can't say for sure what choice you should make except to say that you should try not to overthink it. Do your research sure, but quickly narrow down to what feels right to you, run some numbers, listen to those numbers and pull the trigger.

Biggest mistake I see our Colorado buyers/investors make is not that they buy the wrong thing; it's that they spend two years analyzing before they buy. 

My two cents there, at least. Oh, and if you opt for the midterm rental model, reach out to @Erin Spradlin. She consults on the model. Knows a few things. ;) 

Good luck!

James Carlson Real Estate
See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2023 · 265 posts · 162 votes
    2y

    Hey Eric - great detail here. Aiming for a niche audience in STRs that matches your location is a good start. Even though everyone targets travelling nurses, not everyone does it well. Something as simple as not having blackout curtains can make or break a listing. If you're just looking for general guidance around a successful STR journey, I have some friends with deep insights into everything from REI tax strategy to marketing and creative financing. Happy to get you connected to the beginnings of an A team so you can keep educating yourself.

    Drowning in "information" without actionable insight is definitely a risk.  Figuring out what you don't know is all about having the right people around you.  

  • James CarlsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Eric B.

    Lot of info in there. The good news is you've got options. Less-good news is ... you've got options. Can't say for sure what choice you should make except to say that you should try not to overthink it. Do your research sure, but quickly narrow down to what feels right to you, run some numbers, listen to those numbers and pull the trigger.

    Biggest mistake I see our Colorado buyers/investors make is not that they buy the wrong thing; it's that they spend two years analyzing before they buy. 

    My two cents there, at least. Oh, and if you opt for the midterm rental model, reach out to @Erin Spradlin. She consults on the model. Knows a few things. ;) 

    Good luck!

    James Carlson Real Estate
  • IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @James Carlson, I appreciate your response! You touched on my exact struggle in this instance.  It's funny because it resonates with my approach to things. I've been in a leadership course where the instructor described me as "Ready, Fire, Aim" right off the bat. This is a good thing to me and has led to great success.  I'm all about taking action, reflecting in short bursts, and adapting on the go. I firmly believe in the power of small learning initiatives for rapid growth and better outcomes. If there's a failure, I believe in failing fast and learning from it. Another thing about me is that when I dive into something, it quickly becomes an obsession.

    I'm quite self-aware, and these traits are both my strengths and struggles, which is why I'm here. Between work-related travel, relocating 1000 miles across the country, buying one home and selling another, I'm looking at a probable wait of 2-3 months. Just the process of searching for my new primary residence has ignited what might soon become an addiction, and I'm itching to get started. After countless thoughts, I felt compelled to take action, hence my post here.

    I don't really have a specific question; I learn best by doing. I can research endlessly, but until I'm actually in the thick of it, I tend to question everything. Right now, I find myself bouncing between analyzing short-term rentals, then long-term rentals, and then creating financial projections, only to come face-to-face with reality (how accurate are my projections, and are my expenses underestimated or overestimated?). Sometimes, I feel like I'm wasting time with financial projections, especially when a minor adjustment can drastically change the outcome due to compounding effects. I'm eager to focus, but I don't think I'll achieve that until I simply move forward with something.  I am trying to fill a gap between today and when my obsession can start :)

    Oh, and did I mention I'm a veteran with PTSD (resulting in hyper brain activity) that has leds to sleep disorders, and I already had OCD to top it off? :)

    Adding to the mix, I have no idea what the current market is like. Every property I looked at for my primary residence had multiple offers within the first 48 hours. Eventually, I got to know someone who knows someone who had a house and worked an offer prior to it going on the market.  I assume, like everything, there are still good deals to be had, but that uncertainty drives me to explore both in-market and out-of-market options. I don't like feeling like a squirrel, but without action, it all drives me crazy. I can be a bit of a gambler, and I'm accustomed to just pulling the trigger and either succeeding or learning from empirical data, but I feel like I'm handcuffed for the near future.

    In any case, I'm just here to dump some of my crazy into the world and see what conversations spark up. I happen to be one of the best at what I do for a living. I fully recognize that's true because of the people I surround myself with. I was told as a child that to become the smartest person in the room, you have to know that everyone else in any given room knows something you don't, and you just need to identify what that is. Rinse and repeat.  Again, thanks for the reply (@Theresa Holl, too), and I'm happy to be stepping into a community!

  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2023 · 333 posts · 124 votes
    2y

    Hi Eric, 

    Welcome to the forum! That is a very detailed post. Short term and Mid Term rentals can be a great way of increasing the potential cash flow of a property. They do tend to require more time managing and ensuring that your rental rates are competitive based on current STR availability/rates in your area. Some property management companies specialize in STR's and that may be a good option for you. Are you looking to invest locally in the Virginia Beach area? if so attending local investor meet ups is a great way to make connections and learn about local trends.

  • IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    I am looking locally in VaBch, but not limiting myself and will follow the advice and data.  I am not yet in VaBch for a few months, but I do value community and teams, so definitely on the list of things to do when I get there.  I have a few contacts I've made already while looking for my primary residence.  Now, every day is like Christmas Eve until I can get closed, move and sell this property.  

    Anyone want to buy a 4bd/2.5 bath on 5 wooded acres (40, of which I own 5 and my unlce owns the rest) in the middle of God's nowhere ;) 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 354 posts · 386 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eric B.:

    I am looking locally in VaBch, but not limiting myself and will follow the advice and data.  I am not yet in VaBch for a few months, but I do value community and teams, so definitely on the list of things to do when I get there.  I have a few contacts I've made already while looking for my primary residence.  Now, every day is like Christmas Eve until I can get closed, move and sell this property.  

    Anyone want to buy a 4bd/2.5 bath on 5 wooded acres (40, of which I own 5 and my unlce owns the rest) in the middle of God's nowhere ;) 

    LOL. Laughed when I saw the point about getting hate for a "flexible" goal. It's important to be open to a point and following data is important to a point. I think it's always helpful though to put limits on your data research as a new investor because otherwise you can delay making a decision... and, from what I've seen, time is usually your biggest enemy in real estate versus finding the perfect property. 
  • Sean HudginsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chesapeake Va · Member since 2019 · 150 posts · 100 votes
    2y

    @Eric B. You are in a good position, for sure. I have to say I resonate with so much of how you have described yourself. I am a fail-forward kind of person and also get very hyper-focused on a subject when that subject has gotten my attention.

    I will give you my thoughts on how to make that money work for you here in VB in different ways, and I will try to take into account your goal of being able to walk away from your job if it ever comes to that. 

    LTR: Hampton Roads is a relatively expensive market, and with that market, LTR opportunities that pencil can be few and far between. I would suggest looking into the Norfolk area or, specifically, the neighborhood of Green Run in VB (I own an LTR there and just got a buyer from here on BP an LTR in this neighborhood.). The margins are slim, though. The price point that tends to work best in this area is in the low 300s, and with the 100k a year, you could probably pick up 1 LTR that cashflows a couple hundred a month each year. Do that for 5 - 10 years, and you will have an abundance of equity and plenty of cash flow. Better yet, find some that need work, do two deals a year with renovations, and increase your velocity of money.

    MTR: I would target properties that can still break even as LTR, so you have a fallback but some flexibility to go a little nicer on finishes. Like someone else already said, you are getting into a little more work for yourself, and you need to be more nuanced in your setup to attract the perfect tenants. You could still acquire one property per year and furnish with the 100k, but your cash flow should be that much higher because it's MTR. You will need to be pickier on location, trying to target areas that need the housing for Nurses.

    STR: This is where things change a fair bit. The first thing you need to know is the local restrictions. Norfolk is not too bad on restrictions. You just have to avoid homes that are on the flight path of the airports. VB is fairly strict on STRs. There are currently only two areas that allow STRs. The Resort District is right at the end of the 264 corridor, where the bulk of the hotels are located on the Atlantic Ocean. The second is Sandbridge, which actually made Vacasa's top 5 list for 2023. The downside here is the price. Sandbridge median price is in the 900k range. The revenue on well-run STRs is also very high, well into the 100k+ range. With this strategy, you could combine the 165k from your home sale and the first year of 100k into an STR in this area, and you should be able to cash flow nicely. You get the advantage of appreciation on a much higher-priced asset as well as the cash flow. Then you take a similar approach and reinvest the money into more STRs along with the 100k a year, and you could have a couple of beach homes that are all bringing in six figures after 5-10 years. There are also other options to STR in the surrounding areas within 2-3hrs of Hampton roads.

    I know this was a lot of information, and I hope it helped a little bit to visualize what each strategy could look like in this area. There are a million other ways to skin the cat, and I would be more than happy to discuss those over a coffee or a beer when you get here to the 757.

  • IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    @Sean Hudgins Great post!  I can visualize what you are saying as I did live there for a number of years in the 90's.  I'll definitely reach out and drinks on me.  I'll break down each area you posted and see what I see, but it really piqued my interest in Sandbridge.  That might be a lot of money for the first one to get my feet wet, but it may just be the right direction.  

    Thanks!

  • James CarlsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado | stan.store/JamesCarlson · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Eric B.

    I get the hyper-active brain sometimes. I like to go deep on a subject myself. It sounds like you know this about yourself and know that doing can be better than thinking. 

    Only thing I'd add is that you mentioned the market today v. how it was when you were looking a few years ago. Not sure about where you're at, but here in Colorado -- specifically Denver, Colorado Springs and the front-range mountains -- I'm seeing the rumblings of a market coming back. 

    For the last year, buyers have had a little more power -- or at least more power than they did in 2022. We saw more price drops in Colorado Springs and Denver, higher days-on-market stats, buyers getting more concessions up front. I haven't seen that change in the monthly market reports yet, BUT ... what I'm feeling on the ground when looking with clients the last two weeks is that more homes are going under contract the first weekend, a few even have bidding wars again. 

    So, if I had to guess, there is a slim window from now till early summer when the market might be manageable, but it seems like we could be heading back to a strong sellers' market.

    James Carlson Real Estate
  • IL · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    2y

    Okay, so my offer on primary was accepted, and barring craziness, closing in March.  Hopefully, I will have a smooth turnaround on my current house, and then it will be time to jump off the cliff in Virginia Beach!  

    Thanks for all the replies!

  • Sean HudginsPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chesapeake Va · Member since 2019 · 150 posts · 100 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Eric B.:

    @Sean Hudgins Great post!  I can visualize what you are saying as I did live there for a number of years in the 90's.  I'll definitely reach out and drinks on me.  I'll break down each area you posted and see what I see, but it really piqued my interest in Sandbridge.  That might be a lot of money for the first one to get my feet wet, but it may just be the right direction.  

    Thanks!

     Thanks. I'm sure you have found this while searching for your primary, but this area has grown and changed (for the better in most cases) a lot ever since I was first stationed here in 2015. I think you will enjoy coming back and seeing what has changed since the 90s. 

    I will also quickly echo @James Carlson I feel a comeback this summer as well, I am really anticipating a bit of a buyers frenzy come summer and the PCS season here. We are currently still at a very low inventory level, only 2.5 months of supply on the market, and what I have seen is that if a home is posted for sale, that is a good product for the market value, it's going super quick. The opportunity now is in the product. This is not as nice and sits for a while on the market, the hard part is getting the sellers to come to the reality that their home is not worth what they think. Just some food for thought as you continue doing your research. And congrats on getting under contract on your primary!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.