Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Hawkins
Votes |
Where do I begin?

Nathan Hawkins
Posted Dec 17 2023, 18:57

I am a licensed electrical contractor in the state SC and I'm looking to connect with people who are investing in multi family (16+ doors). I don't know anything about buying these and getting started but I'd like to own as many as possible and would be willing to help out an investor already in play for some knowledge. I'm in Summerville but I travel all over the state for work. I look forward to connecting.

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ehlers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Replied Dec 18 2023, 06:46

Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

Christian Ehlers Realtor Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 22 2023, 18:56

Hey Nathan, I just Joined as well and I am interested in mutually navigating an environment that is new to both of us. Also located in the Charleston area and the crazy market we have here. I hope we can connect some time!

PropStream logo
PropStream
|
Sponsored
Nationwide property data Use our robust, multi-sourced data to find off-market properties and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Dec 22 2023, 19:07

So the goal for you sounds like - meeting people. Network. Join groups. Social clubs. Meet-ups. Become an agent if you want. Basically you need to get yourself involved and throw yourself into the RE world 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Hawkins
Votes |
Replied Dec 23 2023, 15:55
Quote from @Christian Ehlers:

Hey Nathan glad to have you on the site! I'd be sure to go to some local meetups as well to find investors in your area and offer to do electrical work for them in exchange for helping you learn the business. Contractors are usually hard to find especially if the investor doesn't have a steady flow of projects for them to work on, this should be a great help for them. 

How do I find a get together or meetup? This site has more information than I know what to do with. It's kind of overwhelming. Any help in finding this would be awesome 

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Hawkins
Votes |
Replied Dec 23 2023, 15:57
Quote from @Jeremy H.:

So the goal for you sounds like - meeting people. Network. Join groups. Social clubs. Meet-ups. Become an agent if you want. Basically you need to get yourself involved and throw yourself into the RE world 

I'm pretty involved socially with my business I just don't know where to find these "meet-ups" (that seems to be a common phrase)

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Hawkins
Votes |
Replied Dec 23 2023, 15:59
Quote from @Aidan Downey:

Hey Nathan, I just Joined as well and I am interested in mutually navigating an environment that is new to both of us. Also located in the Charleston area and the crazy market we have here. I hope we can connect some time!

Sounds good to me. I'm pretty easy to find on Google Down South Electric. Shoot me a message anytime 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy H.
  • Lafayette, LA
Votes |
  • Lafayette, LA
Replied Dec 23 2023, 17:08
Quote from @Nathan Hawkins:

How do I find a get together or meetup? This site has more information than I know what to do with. It's kind of overwhelming. Any help in finding this would be awesome 

Put you location in here on the site. Search for you location on here and maybe there will be some groups on here. If not, check facebook groups. Usually theirs some landlord/investment/rental groups that may have some information. I'd ask around too - ask realtors if they know of any investor groups meet up (a lot may not but hopefully someone will) Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Troy Gandee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Dec 24 2023, 10:56

@Nathan Hawkins We have a monthly networking meetup called REI Central for investors in the Charleston area. I'd suggest you check that out to network and learn as much you can.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 24 2023, 11:05

you are new to this, you still do not have enough knowledge or at least someone to guide you, so I do not see a reason on why you would jump straight away on 16+ unit deals, it might overwhelm you, start with learning and building a portfolio with a few 3plexes, 4plexes and then scale into 10+ unit deals.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 24 2023, 11:12
Quote from @Jonathan Cooper:

you are new to this, you still do not have enough knowledge or at least someone to guide you, so I do not see a reason on why you would jump straight away on 16+ unit deals, it might overwhelm you, start with learning and building a portfolio with a few 3plexes, 4plexes and then scale into 10+ unit deals.

I would agree here, I am pretty new as well, so it would overwhelm me starting with big deals like 16+ units

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 11 2024, 17:54

Christian, interested in hearing more about the times and locations of these meet ups.  

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 11 2024, 17:55
Quote from @Aidan Downey:

Same here, Charleston market.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 11 2024, 17:55
Quote from @Troy Gandee:

@Nathan Hawkins We have a monthly networking meetup called REI Central for investors in the Charleston area. I'd suggest you check that out to network and learn as much you can.

Time and location?

User Stats

Votes
Troy Gandee
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Feb 11 2024, 18:02

1st Thursday of each month from 6-8pm at Palmetto Brewing Co downtown for the main meetup. We also have sub-group meetings for the annual ticket holders. www.rei-central.com

User Stats

Votes
Christian Ehlers
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • NH & MA
Replied Feb 14 2024, 05:55
Quote from @Joshua R. Hope:

Christian, interested in hearing more about the times and locations of these meet ups.  

There's a New Hampshire Real Estate Investors Meetup tonight at 6pm in Manchester I believe, as well as a Simplified REI Meetup Tomorrow in Portsmouth NH at 6:30-8:30pm. You can find them on Biggerpockets, Meetup.com or by just googling Real Estate Investor Meetup Near Me, or something like that

Christian Ehlers Realtor Logo

User Stats

Votes
Swati Linder
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Charleston, SC
Replied Feb 20 2024, 18:22

Hello! I'm happy to throw in my two cents! You are already doing some of what you need to do to get started - you are here at BP and posting that you are looking to connect with others in the industry. Additionally, I agree that joining networking groups is helpful. Have business cards always. Be ready to start conversations with the people in the grocery store behind you in line. Opportunity is everywhere. By the way, I'm located in Summerville and work at the Cane Bay/Nexton Carolina One office. :) 

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Poitras
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lowell, MA
Replied Feb 25 2024, 12:56

guys, im hosting simplified's Southern NH meetup Wednesday night at the Merrimack Budweiser Biergarten. It originally used to be in Manchester NH. We have grown so I needed a larger venue. message me for details.

@Joshua R. Hope

@Christian Ehlers

• Real Estate Agent New Hampshire (#077720) and Massachusetts (#9528378)

Candor Realty Group Logo