I would suggest studying your market by looking at homes on the MLS. Set up alerts within your price range and start running investment numbers on each. After awhile you will be able to glance at a listing and know if the pricing is a good deal for that area. also study rent rates - look at sites like hotpads or zillow to see what the average rents are.
I have been studying my market for about 4 years. every property that comes up I know if it is over/under priced and what rents I could really get for it. This allows me to make quick decisions on if I am going to go after a property or not - and even if I am not looking to buy anything, I still look at all new properties so I can start seeing fluctuations in the market.
Hi Cornelius and welcome to BP!
There are many different things you need to do to learn your market. Mortgage rates don't really have to do with your market as those are pretty much standard everywhere, unless you go through your local bank.
You definitely need to know what average rents are for the property you are evaluating. And you need to get as specific as possible. I don't know your area but I know that just about every city has areas where the rents can vary widely from one block to the next. To get an idea you can search Zillow, Craigslist or Realtor.com for other rentals in the area you are looking in. You should also find a property manager who currently manages properties in that area. Get their opinion on fair market rent, find out how many vacancies they currently have and how long it typically takes to get a unit rented in that area. If there are a lot of vacancies you'll have a lot of competition.
You need to know if people are moving to the area or leaving the area. Is it a high crime area? What's the average income for the area? Is the unemployment rate in that area high? You can find a lot of this information at www.city-data.com.
To get the cap rate you need to know what all of the expenses for a specific property will be, including mortgage, taxes, insurance, property management fees, utilities, maintenance, etc. You also need to know what the property will rent for. Once you have all of that information you subtract the annual expenses from the annual rent to get the net operating income. Then divide the net operating income by the purchase price of the property.
For example, if you bought an apartment complex for $300,000 and the net income after expenses is $24,000 per year. You would divide 24,000 by 300,000 and get a cap rate of .08, or 8%.
As for how to know if it's a good deal or a bad deal? That's in the numbers. And your opinion of a good deal might be different from mine. For it to be a good deal for me it has to cash flow from the day I buy it and it has to rent for at least 1% of the purchase price. I live in California so 1% is good. I own rentals in other states however and my minimum is 2% in those states. That means, if I buy a property for $100,000 then it must rent for at least $1,000 per month to meet the 1% rule, or $2,000 per month to meet the 2% rule.
Best of luck!
I go by the 2% rule in good to decent neighborhoods and the 4+% rule in gang-run to war-zone neighborhoods. Rehab costs will be lower in the war-zone neighborhoods if you wear the appropriate attire and bring beer to the painting party.
Strategies will make a difference in what due diligence you need to perform, however, a key factor you need no matter what is local area inventory levels. How many properties are for sale today compared to 6 months ago, 12 months ago, etc. and of that inventory, how many are REO, short sales, probates, and standard sales.