Utilize my VA loan first? Or jump in with a conventional??

Utilize my VA loan first? Or jump in with a conventional??

New to Real Estate · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 11 votes

Would love some insight. I officially get out of the Army in less than a year (359 days to be exact). I am aware that one stipulation of the VA loan is that it must be my primary residence for one year before I can leave. So when I factor in the time it would take to find a property, then close and move in I would most likely get out of the military months before that year is up. Upon getting out I would most likely get a stable job (I'm an Air traffic controller) somewhere else and feel it would be better to utilize the VA loan upon moving wherever that job is. BUT I also have the real estate bug and within the next couple of months am hoping to possibly flip properties for the next year until I have enough capital saved up to purchase and hold investments for rental properties wherever i end up moving (my final goal). Any advice??

0Reply
23 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Justin Mabry:

    Do you have the option of extending for six months?

    Why not partner with someone that can provide the cash for a flip or two during your last year?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.