I WANT TO BE A ROCK STAR, BUT I CAN'T SING

I WANT TO BE A ROCK STAR, BUT I CAN'T SING

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes

Yes, I've decided I want to be a rock star, but I've lost my vocal range, much like starting out in RE without money. I can't read music either, much like not being able to read the MLS listings and read between the lines. I'd like to know which instrument to play, guitar, drums or piano?

I can jump around on stage, smile or make faces, I guess I could wear strange clothes if I have to. How should I go about this?

Really, I just want to be a rock star for the money and fame, I'm not really interested in promoting the music industry or making any contributions to the community, so, what's the quickest way to be a rock star?

I have done RE, I'd say I was pretty successful at it, but it took a lot of studying, had to start at the bottom learning stuff that didn't seem to be very valuable but later it all fell into place.

I hope being a rock star doesn't mean I have to start out by reading music or understanding music theory, or understanding harmony and how music invokes different feelings, I know that won't make me any money by the end of the month and some of that stuff is hard to understand too.

So, my question is to those other rock stars out there, how do I do it and where do I really have to start? That's the way to do it, playing guitar on MTV, hey, it's money for nothin you know!

Does anyone see any relationship to this and starting out in RE? Or in any business or profession?

Why is it new people assume there's nothing to it?

This is really a compare and contrast conversation, compare RE to other professions or business activities and explain the differences justifying why RE is so easy that an in-depth understanding of RE just isn't needed. Can you do that?

Any takers?

How much do you really need to know to join the band?

PS. I can read music, play all brass, can pick out a tune on most anything with strings, woody's too but oboe is hard and can beat the skins as well, and sing bass, can't hit the high ones anymore, LOL, it was just an example. ;)

0Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
12y

Who needs talent?!?!

Bill - You be Milli...I'll be Vanilli...

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Agreed. I've often thought about another analogous post about the dangers of Children Running With Uzi's.

  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    12y

    I think it is a great analogy. Sam Walton managed his first store in 1945, opened the first Walmart in 1962, grew like crazy in the 80's and became top retailer in 1990. People look at Walmart and forget the 45 previous years and act like it came from nowhere with a brilliant idea to market to rural cities/towns. They forget all the work and sacrifice that went into it.

    Ps. I am not a RE rock star but practice every day. I can play a few chords and they sound good so far but I have a lot more to learn.

  • Hiram, OH · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    That's an interesting analogy, as I know a dream of a moderate but prosperous retirement income from real estate is definitely the catalyst to my path. But it is the lofty dream that jump-starts a lot of action. I would much rather be a person who dives in headfirst believing I will reach the chance of becoming a rockstar and then confronting all the obstacles in my way. Then there are those who think rockstar status is unattainable, and therefore, not worth pursuing at all. I think most entrepreneurs should have the mindset of the former rather than the latter.

  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    12y

    Another point that just hit me. If you listen to interviews with most rock stars that have made a long career out of music, they always talk about the music itself, the fame and money just comes as a result of the passion they have for what they do.

  • Real Estate Professional · Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2012 · 319 posts · 167 votes
    12y

    The difference is that there's an entire industry built on teaching people that Real Estate is simple and easy riches. Sit back and collect rent checks from the beach.

    Its easy at 1, 2, 3.

    1. buy properties 50% below market

    2. sell them at market(or rent them out)

    3. leverage like crazy to do many of these! and...

    4. BONUS: pay no taxes due to depreciation and expensing your living expenses to your business!!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    12y

    Who needs talent?!?!

    Bill - You be Milli...I'll be Vanilli...

  • Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    You never posted a photo. How do you look in Spandex?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 142 votes
    12y

    Well, I can teach you to be a rock star - come to my rock star class. The first one is FREE (well, the first 15 min. where I tell you how incredible I am is free), then you need to pay the $1,500 registration fee to learn my Rock Star secrets. And, I know ALL the secrets. Being a Rock Star is where it's at! Before you know it, you'll be traveling the world, partying 24/7/365, and playing tunes - who wouldn't want that?!?!? Make money by playing music! I've played with (enter fake name here), (enter real name here, but really I just went to their concert and got his autograph), and I also performed with the (enter another famous name that everyone has performed with that cannot be verified) band.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Jeff S:
    You never posted a photo. How do you look in Spandex?

    I bet he looks like one of these OLD guys ....
  • Civil Engineer · Orange County, CA · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 45 votes
    12y

    Anyone have a photo editor and can take a few profile pictures and overlay them?

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    12y

    I have a couple of real Rock Stars as investment partners and they are leaving the whole investment side of things to me, the decidedly un-rock star. :)

    I just tell them to go out and keep making money being Rock Stars and I'll find places for them to invest it.

    It's a win/win.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley

    "Money for nothing and your chicks for free" Dire Straits

    Seriously, it seems to me that very few rock stars make a killing and retire to obscurity. Every rock star is either dead or on tour, there's no middle ground.

    And just like lottery winners, boxers, athletes and reality show winners, its seems like no matter how much money they make they die in poverty. (and maybe real estate gurus too.)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    LMHO, actually I didn't think anyone would reply!

    Thanks for the confidence @J. Scott , I think :)

    Wayne, I think there are children running around with uzi's, some are pretty big too.

    Nzinga, I agree as to being realistic, that's part of my reason for the post.

    Good point Chad, I take it you are saying too that the lack of financial planning and education may be responsible for the money mismanagement.

    David C, yes, I'd say the gurus are responsible for misguiding and misleading thousands, my point here is more to the ones who allow themselves to be taken in.

    Pat, I'd be the one on the far right, just not as heavy. :) LOL

    That's great Marc!

    David, I agree, much like Chad pointed out.

    The reason I posted this in the "Get stated" section is that hopefully new folks might read it and do some rational thinking.

    More to the point, unrealistic expectations!

    It's not just gurus that pump up new people into getting involved beyond their skill levels. Much of it may come from the lack of awareness in business where someone fails to see that "that pat on the back may be holding you back" (rock song lyrics I forgot who's song it is, in fact, I'll use some, I have no clue who sang what anymore, I hope they won't mind and I'll use " " to note them).

    "Some people will use you, some people wanna be used" pretty much sums it up. Being new means there is a place for a mentor or coach these can be very good relationships and they can lead new folks into trouble, being taken advantage of and eventually running them out of the business.

    More millionaires are made in RE than any other industry I know of, but I'd also say many of these really successful folks could have been successful in other fields as well. What RE offers is a rather low barrier to entry, you don't have to have buckets of money as you might opening a clothing store or nice auto repair center.

    Another low barrier is education, you don't need an MBA or college degree but many seem to be singing "we don't need no education" . You certainly need an education in building your basic foundation for any business, including real estate. Being aware of methods or strategies is not an education but more of an awareness in ways to implement those basic elements of RE.

    In economics there is a principle that says any time there is profit to be had and a low barrier to entry in that market competition will be high. RE is a dog eat dog business, in many ways RE isn't regulated dictating ethical conduct and you'll find those "cheating hearts" in RE. Some cheat intentionally, some are unaware and assume and of those, many don't want to know nor change, so beware.

    So, sorry this is so long, if you're starting out you need to learn starting at the bottom with the basics, don't expect that learning 5 songs will make you a rock star or even expect to get gigs at clubs that can feed your family. It takes time to learn and practice by doing, so take the time and invest in yourself first. And I don't mean by buying stuff from gurus. :)

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Point well taken, Mr. Gulley.

    Better learn how to play guitar Warning: John Cougar Mellencamp dishing out advice.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Cool Jon, I like Mellencamp's music! I am a rocker, an older rocker! LOL

    I played in a garage band like many kids in the 60s. Kids from our high school band mostly, Bill Jones played sax and we called ourselves the Dare Devils (how original for high school kids, LOL). I wasn't allowed to have long hair really, a couple of us wore wigs on stage, the kids never knew. We played down at the lake and were pretty good, no big bucks, more like covering expenses and minimum wage. The band broke up, Viet Nam and all, Bill Jones stayed at it and started a band called the Ozark Mountain Dare Devils, I was in Germany when I heard them on the radio! So, there ya go, stick with it, determination, practice, education and hard work pays off! :)

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Cool Jon, I like Mellencamp's music! I am a rocker, an older rocker! LOL

    I played in a garage band like many kids in the 60s. Kids from our high school band mostly, Bill Jones played sax and we called ourselves the Dare Devils (how original for high school kids, LOL). I wasn't allowed to have long hair really, a couple of us wore wigs on stage, the kids never knew. We played down at the lake and were pretty good, no big bucks, more like covering expenses and minimum wage. The band broke up, Viet Nam and all, Bill Jones stayed at it and started a band called the Ozark Mountain Dare Devils, I was in Germany when I heard them on the radio! So, there ya go, stick with it, determination, practice, education and hard work pays off! :)

    Sounds like you just needed a little more cow bell!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    LOL, James, you get me a wash tub, a narrow long board, some cord, some table spoons, a garden hose and a few oil funnels, some cans and trash cans and some sticks a few small rocks and a frying pan, we can jam! :)

    (If we keep this up this thread will be moved to the off topic thread, LOL)

    Guess that goes to show too, that if you know the basics as to different types of instruments and how they work, you can improvise to make music, kinda like RE, if you know the basics you can start putting things together yourself and do some creative deals. :)

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    @James Vermillion did someone say Cowbell!?

  • Marc RamsayPro Member
    Investor · Ojochal, Costa Rica · Member since 2013 · 287 posts · 164 votes
    12y

    Wow @Brandon Turner that was pretty ... ahhh.. not sure... ethereal? :)

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Brandon Turner:
    @James Vermillion did someone say Cowbell!?



    One of my all time favorite SNL clips! I was looking for @Joshua D. in the background.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.