Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 43 posts · 26 votes
Hello BiggerPockets family! I'm Kenneth Zavala a new member out of Houston, TX looking to grow my reach. A little about me, I am a Software Developer and I graduated from the University of Houston. I love learning, traveling, and real estate!
I've been listening to the podcast and reading books while I hunt for my first investment property. I am very interested in BRRRRing and growing a rental property portfolio. I want to bring value to experienced investors in the Houston area and wish to learn while I assist!
I understand that this is definitely not always a what you know but who you know business. So please connect if our goals align or if you would potentially want to work together in the future! Lets grow together. Thanks!
Welcome to BP. I joined BP a little over 2 yrs ago and closed my first deal last year. The BP community was instrumental during the whole process. Now I'm on the verge of closing my 2nd deal. I've made so many connections here and im sure you'll do the same. I attend a couple of meetup groups in Houston so let's connect and I can send you info for them. Good luck to you.
Hello BiggerPockets family! I'm Kenneth Zavala a new member out of Houston, TX looking to grow my reach. A little about me, I am a Software Developer and I graduated from the University of Houston. I love learning, traveling, and real estate!
I've been listening to the podcast and reading books while I hunt for my first investment property. I am very interested in BRRRRing and growing a rental property portfolio. I want to bring value to experienced investors in the Houston area and wish to learn while I assist!
I understand that this is definitely not always a what you know but who you know business. So please connect if our goals align or if you would potentially want to work together in the future! Lets grow together. Thanks!
Welcome to Biggerpockets!
Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.
Hello BiggerPockets family! I'm Kenneth Zavala a new member out of Houston, TX looking to grow my reach. A little about me, I am a Software Developer and I graduated from the University of Houston. I love learning, traveling, and real estate!
I've been listening to the podcast and reading books while I hunt for my first investment property. I am very interested in BRRRRing and growing a rental property portfolio. I want to bring value to experienced investors in the Houston area and wish to learn while I assist!
I understand that this is definitely not always a what you know but who you know business. So please connect if our goals align or if you would potentially want to work together in the future! Lets grow together. Thanks!
Welcome to BP! There are plenty of investor friendly realtors and investors here that you can connect with. There should be local meetups available in your area as well. Read through the old forum posts here as there is plenty of value and wisdom in the old posts!
Hello BiggerPockets family! I'm Kenneth Zavala a new member out of Houston, TX looking to grow my reach. A little about me, I am a Software Developer and I graduated from the University of Houston. I love learning, traveling, and real estate!
I've been listening to the podcast and reading books while I hunt for my first investment property. I am very interested in BRRRRing and growing a rental property portfolio. I want to bring value to experienced investors in the Houston area and wish to learn while I assist!
I understand that this is definitely not always a what you know but who you know business. So please connect if our goals align or if you would potentially want to work together in the future! Lets grow together. Thanks!
Welcome to Biggerpockets!
Go to NETWORK at the top of your screen and you can search for other investors and investment groups in your area. You can also check meetup.com or search facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.
Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
Welcome to BiggerPockets Kenneth, you are definitely in the right place. Just make sure to consume contents here as much as possible. Use other social media platforms specifically Facebook to grow your reach and connections.
Welcome to BiggerPockets Kenneth, you are definitely in the right place. Just make sure to consume contents here as much as possible. Use other social media platforms specifically Facebook to grow your reach and connections.
Goodluck
Thank you for the warm welcome Wale. I will definitely begin spreading my reach into more social platforms thank you.
Specialist · NJ · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 649 votes
4y
As a lender I can advise you this: Keep your credit good 700+ and save. Because as a new investor those will be the two things you can bring to the table: Cash and Credit. You won't be able to bring experience.
I'm closing a deal now for first time flippers and one of the big reasons the bank is doing the deal is because they showed 200k in a bank account and the guarantor's credit was 750. Numbers like that make a lender not worry so much.
Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2020 · 351 posts · 504 votes
4y
Hi Kenneth! Welcome to BiggerPockets. It sounds like you have been doing some research on your own, and you like the BRRR method. AWesome! That's a good headstart to have. Now it's time to figure out the where and how, along with the who. So it sounds like you want to be in the Houston market because that is where you live. Totally find, many people invest where they live. I would start with an analysis of your strengths and weaknesses. What can you bring to the table to a network of real estate investors? Do you crunch numbers really well and can talk about market stats over a pint? What about networking and bumping into new people? Are you very detail oriented or just go by the seat of your pants? Knowing these things will help you realize how to approach your investing goal. Let's say for example you have capital, but you don't have a lot of time because of your W2. You are fairly comfortable with a spreadsheet, you have run some analysis on properties before, maybe you understand the market better than the average Houstonian. Now the key is to find people that fill the gaps. If you don't have time to field phone calls from sellers who just need to walk away from their property, wholesaling for example may not be the thing for you, BUT getting to know a wholesaler in your area might be exactly who you need on your team. Someone can funnel deals your way, and you can quickly say yes or no because of your other skills and what you like to do. There are obviously a few stages to the BRRR model, so look at each one and evaluate how "good" are you at that particular stage. For example, it starts with acquisition. Like I mentioned earlier, if you are ok with analysis and feel confident in your numbers, then maybe finding someone to find deals for you is what you need in that step. The next one is renovate. Well if you have a W2 job, zero construction background, maybe that means you need to find someone to be on your team who is good at those things, or you find properties that don't need so much renovation. Then move on to the rent part. Are you planning on managing them yourself? Do you have a good grasp on tenant-landlord laws in your area? Have you joined the local landlord association? What about interviewing property managers in your market? You see where I'm going with this? Build the team from the skills, personality type and time availability you have. If you work the problem backwards like this, then you have no choice but to inevitably end up with a good deal and a lot less headaches! Good luck!
As a lender I can advise you this: Keep your credit good 700+ and save. Because as a new investor those will be the two things you can bring to the table: Cash and Credit. You won't be able to bring experience.
I'm closing a deal now for first time flippers and one of the big reasons the bank is doing the deal is because they showed 200k in a bank account and the guarantor's credit was 750. Numbers like that make a lender not worry so much.
Thank you so much for the advice. It was an angle I was not paying as much attention to. I have developed good credit over the years and am continuing to grow my pile of funds. Glad to see I’m doing something right for now.
Hi Kenneth! Welcome to BiggerPockets. It sounds like you have been doing some research on your own, and you like the BRRR method. AWesome! That's a good headstart to have. Now it's time to figure out the where and how, along with the who. So it sounds like you want to be in the Houston market because that is where you live. Totally find, many people invest where they live. I would start with an analysis of your strengths and weaknesses. What can you bring to the table to a network of real estate investors? Do you crunch numbers really well and can talk about market stats over a pint? What about networking and bumping into new people? Are you very detail oriented or just go by the seat of your pants? Knowing these things will help you realize how to approach your investing goal. Let's say for example you have capital, but you don't have a lot of time because of your W2. You are fairly comfortable with a spreadsheet, you have run some analysis on properties before, maybe you understand the market better than the average Houstonian. Now the key is to find people that fill the gaps. If you don't have time to field phone calls from sellers who just need to walk away from their property, wholesaling for example may not be the thing for you, BUT getting to know a wholesaler in your area might be exactly who you need on your team. Someone can funnel deals your way, and you can quickly say yes or no because of your other skills and what you like to do. There are obviously a few stages to the BRRR model, so look at each one and evaluate how "good" are you at that particular stage. For example, it starts with acquisition. Like I mentioned earlier, if you are ok with analysis and feel confident in your numbers, then maybe finding someone to find deals for you is what you need in that step. The next one is renovate. Well if you have a W2 job, zero construction background, maybe that means you need to find someone to be on your team who is good at those things, or you find properties that don't need so much renovation. Then move on to the rent part. Are you planning on managing them yourself? Do you have a good grasp on tenant-landlord laws in your area? Have you joined the local landlord association? What about interviewing property managers in your market? You see where I'm going with this? Build the team from the skills, personality type and time availability you have. If you work the problem backwards like this, then you have no choice but to inevitably end up with a good deal and a lot less headaches! Good luck!
Alex what a rockstar reply. Thank you for the very in-depth look at things. You made me evaluate myself and plan based on the current connections I do have. I am more analytical and process based coming from a stem background and that’s okay! I can learn as I go but I will definitely use my own skills as leverage to find the correct team for me. Thank you Alex!
Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 297 posts · 159 votes
4y
@Kenneth Zavala welcome to BP! There are a ton of investors in the Houston area so you should have no shortage of opportunities to network. If you're ever interested in discussing syndications, reach out. Enjoy it!
Lender · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 10 votes
4y
Welcome @Kenneth Zavala! One of the best piece of advice I recently got is that knowledge is not power. But in reality knowledge WITH ACTION is power! You are taking the right steps towards that power. I would reach out on different networking groups and social platforms to find people in your area to shadow and learn from. Grow relationships with well known agents in the area who will have access to off market deals and lenders with investor friendly financing. Would love to talk more and bounce ideas offline. Feel free to reach out at anytime!
@Kenneth Zavala welcome to BP! There are a ton of investors in the Houston area so you should have no shortage of opportunities to network. If you're ever interested in discussing syndications, reach out. Enjoy it!
Thanks Adam! I'm searching for them but so far they've been a bit elusive. I am scheduled to attend my first meet up soon so I should meet some folks there. I will definitely keep you in mind. Thanks Adam for the reply!
Welcome @Kenneth Zavala! One of the best piece of advice I recently got is that knowledge is not power. But in reality knowledge WITH ACTION is power! You are taking the right steps towards that power. I would reach out on different networking groups and social platforms to find people in your area to shadow and learn from. Grow relationships with well known agents in the area who will have access to off market deals and lenders with investor friendly financing. Would love to talk more and bounce ideas offline. Feel free to reach out at anytime!
That is great advice and something I've definitely been trying to push towards! The actions can be a bit confusing to figure out when you're new but I am trying. I am trying to gather an awesome circle of people to grow with and I will use your advice. Look forward to staying in touch.
Attorney · Houston · Member since 2022 · 84 posts · 116 votes
4y
Welcome to the BP family. This is a great platform to meet like minded people. I'm a real estate attorney here in Texas, specifically Houston. My law partner and I are also active investors. Feel free to shoot us a message if you ever want to run ideas by us or even to brain storm. Hope we cross paths soon!
Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2022 · 43 posts · 26 votes
4y
@Nancy Truong Thanks for reaching out! I would love to connect with you and your partner. I need more investor friends in my circle and overall more contacts in Houston as well. Hope to stay connected!
@Nancy Truong Thanks for reaching out! I would love to connect with you and your partner. I need more investor friends in my circle and overall more contacts in Houston as well. Hope to stay connected!
Where in Houston are you located? Sometimes we go to real estate events which is a great way to expand your circles. We should connect sometimes. Possibly go to one of these events together.
Investor · Miami · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 0 votes
4y
Hi Kenneth,
Welcome to the BP community. It's one that has completely changed my life. You're definitely in the right place, and I'd like to congratulate you on getting started.
Through the knowledge I've got in this community, I've been able to get into real estate, and in the past 4 years, I've generated over $1M in net profit by wholesaling vacant land. I've then deployed that capital into cash-flowing assets like self storage facilities. I'd love to speak with you over the phone to get an idea as to what your pain points are and how I can be of help.
@Nancy Truong Thanks for reaching out! I would love to connect with you and your partner. I need more investor friends in my circle and overall more contacts in Houston as well. Hope to stay connected!
Where in Houston are you located? Sometimes we go to real estate events which is a great way to expand your circles. We should connect sometimes. Possibly go to one of these events together.
Nancy that sounds great. I am located around Willowbrook. I am scheduled for a meetup with the Houston Real Estate Networking club later this month. I will message you and we can work something out.
Welcome to BP. I joined BP a little over 2 yrs ago and closed my first deal last year. The BP community was instrumental during the whole process. Now I'm on the verge of closing my 2nd deal. I've made so many connections here and im sure you'll do the same. I attend a couple of meetup groups in Houston so let's connect and I can send you info for them. Good luck to you.
Welcome to BP. I joined BP a little over 2 yrs ago and closed my first deal last year. The BP community was instrumental during the whole process. Now I'm on the verge of closing my 2nd deal. I've made so many connections here and im sure you'll do the same. I attend a couple of meetup groups in Houston so let's connect and I can send you info for them. Good luck to you.
That’s awesome Tia! I hope to follow in your steps soon. Please do connect I would love to learn more about these groups. Looking forward to staying in touch!