Tired of being a do-nothing loser

Tired of being a do-nothing loser

Homeowner · Manteca, CA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 21 votes

I'm sorry if the title is a bit harsh, but this is where I'm at.  I've read numerous books including Rich Dad, Poor Dad, David Greene's books as well as others.  I do everything I can to soak up the knowledge, but then it just stops.  I just can't seem to figure out how to actually take the first steps.  I get so caught up in the whole process I never end up going anywhere.  A large portion of this is fear.  Fear that I might not be good at it.  Fear that I might be good at it, but don't deserve success.  Stupid reasons when all is said and done.  

I make a good living at my current job, but I absolutely hate working for someone else.  I get no fulfillment whatsoever and during the pandemic I've learned that being around family and having flexibility of schedule is more important to me than anything.  Even though I've proven to my organization that I can work well and thrive from home, they don't care and want me back in the office soon because they don't trust us to actually do our jobs from home (despite having done it for almost 2 years now).  I'm tired of being treated that way from people who have outdated views on how things should be done.  I really want to succeed this time.  I want to take those steps I was too afraid to take last time.  

I'd love to find a coach or mentor that can actually hold my hand and get me started on my journey so I can learn that it's not as scary as my mind is making it out to be.   In the past I felt too proud to ask for help, but this time I'm doing so.  I need to take those first steps so I can begin to build a life of wealth.  I understand it's not an overnight process, but the longer I keep being too scared to take that first step the longer my dreams will take to be fulfilled.  The thought of working for myself makes me feel alive.  Sorry for the boring rant, I just figured if anyone else was feeling that way I'd let you know you're not alone.

If anyone has recommendations for coaches or mentors please let me know.  I'm ready to take those steps.  Best wishes to all other investors and future investors.  I hope you all find success.

12Reply
161 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 14 votes
4y

Good Day Craig,

I have been where you are many times Craig. You can overcome your fears. The fact that you can see that you require more to make changes...is huge. Seeing your habits that don't help you get to where you want to be...is huge. Congratulate yourself for that. The majority of people don't have the courage to see themselves objectively and vulnerably as you are doing. Winners are problem solvers and that is what you are doing. 

I recommend Jeffrey Combs of Golden Masterminds, John Assaraf, Dr. Joe Dispenza & Marissa Peer. They all have different methods and approaches so see if any of there content/methods connects with you. 

I don't need to know you, to tell you...you deserve whatever success you can see for yourself!  You deserve it! You deserve it! You deserve it! You can overcome your fears Craig! Don't give up on reading and feeding yourself knowledge and find some audios that make you feel good, if only for a little while. Be your own wealth cheerleader Craig!!

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Middletown, NY · Member since 2022 · 31 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro Hey man I'm exactly in the same spot as you. Can you dm me any good resources people might have reached out to you about since you were able to beautiful write down the emotions that run through me everyday thanks.

  • Homeowner · Orrville, OH · Member since 2021 · 71 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro there is a lot of great content in these comments for many people to learn from! I cannot speak to lack of action because I am also still in the preparation stages, but I can speak some to adjusting mindset by recommending you listen to Dr Jordan B Peterson. His lectures and interviews he does are remarkable and causes you to look on yourself is a totally new way. I have listened to hundreds of hours of his content including 2 books - 12 Rules for Life- and -Beyond Order- changed my life. Some twist him to be solely a political pundit, but actually listening to his talks will prove otherwise, causing people to reach to higher purpose in life. Caused me to straighten out my mindset and take responsibility for myself and those I have influence with.
    Best of luck to you! 

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 94 posts · 356 votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro the life you want lies on the other side of fear. Every single person here had to make a decision. You either keep living the same mundane life that’s comfortable, or you get uncomfortable and act despite being afraid of the unknown. I mentor a lot of people. I mentored someone just like you. I had to push him every single step. It was so exhausting on my end trying to get him to take the smallest steps every day. But it worked. He is now a proud owner of a rental and looking to purchase another. He did it, so did millions of others , so can you.

    First of all, This game isn’t for everyone. You will have sleepless nights, so many highs and sooo many lows. Tenants will lie straight to your face. Lenders will shoot you down, realtors won’t call you back. These are things you need to understand WILL happen in the beginning and accept them. This rejection Is part of the process until you get established.

    I have crossed that bridge of fear. It gets easier with every deal. I’m here to tell you that life is absolutely amazing now that I am in control of my time and finances. My wife and I are financially free after investing in real estate for 15 short years.

    Only you can make the decision to take action. You have to decide what is worse, living your current life or jumping off the bridge of fear. Most people need to hit rock bottom before they say , **** it, I have nothing to loose, I’m going for it!

    It’s normal to fear the devil you don’t know more than the devil you do know.

    It’s normal to be paralyzed by fear.

    Stop looking at the big picture and break it down into small steps.

    1) find someone here on BP local that is in your market that is willing to chat with you. Having someone you can run deals by will make you feel more comfortable.

    2) starting working on your credit so you are financable.

    3) start looking on Zillow both for apartments buildings for sale and apartments for rent. This will help you learn your market.

    4 ) gain confidence. Go to the gym!! You will feel so much better about yourself , gain confidence and have more energy.

    5) listen to podcast and read every single day!! I like the BP podcasts as there are a lot of beginners sharing there stories of how they overcame the same feelings and obstacles you have right now. Study the habits of successful people and you will start to see a lot of successful people have very similar habits.

    6) tell everyone you know and meet what you want to accomplish. Eventually you will run into that one person that will help you and guide you. If you don’t put it out there , no one can help.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro My 1st advice is STOP READING BOOKS,!! So many read books go to guru seminars and never do a deal . I have never read a book or been to a seminar, and have done about 500 deals in the Cleveland markets, own a PM co with 500 ++ doors, have admin staff of 10, 30 contractors and more. ( NOT BRAGGING making a point ) . Its not rocket science. Just connect with someone doing deals vs reading, Learn then apply what you learn

    Good Luck 

  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bob S.:

    @Craig Castro My 1st advice is STOP READING BOOKS,!! So many read books go to guru seminars and never do a deal . I have never read a book or been to a seminar, and have done about 500 deals in the Cleveland markets, own a PM co with 500 ++ doors, have admin staff of 10, 30 contractors and more. ( NOT BRAGGING making a point ) . Its not rocket science. Just connect with someone doing deals vs reading, Learn then apply what you learn

    Good Luck 

     Bob if you were that successful and bright without ever reading a book and going to a seminar just think what a little outside wisdom could’ve done for you. You might would’ve ended up being Donald “ Bob” Trump.

    Your Obviously bright.

  • Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 586 posts · 598 votes
    4y

    You already have a lot of good responses in this thread but I'll tell you the same thing I've told others in your situation. As long as you're only investing money that you can afford to lose then the only penalty for failure is that you have to keep working. What happens if you never try? Then you have to keep working. Hmm.....

    Therefore in a certain manner of thinking there is literally no penalty for failure as the end result is the same. Hope this helps.

  • Shiloh LundahlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro connect with me. I’d be happy to be of help.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Joe S. I am right where I want to be, all the freedom in the world . Again so many read and read and read and never do a dam thing. Really not sure what a book would do for me. I have done short sales, tax lien purchases, sheriff auctions, own a PM co, 1ks of repairs / rehabs, flips , rentals, what more can I  or would like to do ? 

    All the best  

  • Investor · Denver · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro without being overly redundant, I will simply say this. Try to surround yourself with like minded people who share common goals and interest. Create a new goal, and tackle it in piecemeal. Meaning, do one thing at a time so it doesn't seem like such an impossible task. We have all been in your shoes and know how hard it is to get started. Good news is, you're on BiggerPockets.com and have a large pool of like minded people to talk to and share ideas with. Feel free to reach out anytime. Best of luck brother! 

  • Homeowner · Manteca, CA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I've left a voicemail with a lender on Friday (who has not called me back yet) and I was told that a RE Agent from the David Greene team will be calling me today at 11am PST to discuss my goals/options. I have identified two multi-family properties that could potentially cash flow assuming my numbers are correct and I will hopefully be able to discuss those properties with them. The highly rated lender from Zillow never called me back (guess business is good for her), so I'll ask the agent if they know anyone that might allow me to get pre-approved. I haven't really found a local REI Group as the closest one is roughly 40 miles away, but I'm still looking. I've also joined a couple of somewhat local REI Facebook groups (eww, I had to join Facebook), but I noticed the main one I joined has a ton of spam in it. Is that normal? It gets hard to find the quality posts, but I am still trudging through the BS to find the good info.


    While I wait for those discussions with agent and lender, I started reading The Best Real Estate Investing Advice Ever:  Volume One by Joe Childress.  So far I'm not super impressed, but there's a few nuggets here and there.  Hopefully I'll have more to report later today.

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    4y

    Keep reading and taking action.Reading and/ listening to podcasts from a qualified mentor with track record is a form of mentorship

    Connect with other investors, partners/lenders.Get your ACTIVITY level up where you are building professional relationships daily(with motivated sellers, cash buyers, private money lenders etc). Momentum gets the deals flowing in and your income going up

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    4y

    @Craig Castro you've written into words what a lot of people think or feel. 

    I'd suggest you shift your mindset to focus on "why" you want to get into real estate. It shouldn't be out of spite for your employer, but instead it should be to improve/challenge yourself and support your family. It's easier to focus and take action when it's necessary - you and your family depend on it. 

    Sounds like you've taken a couple great first steps. Continue to focus on one market, find properties, analyze, send them to an agent, visit the properties and make offers. 

  • Homeowner · Manteca, CA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    Not much grand to update at the moment.  I spoke with the lender on Wednesday and am currently in the process of gathering all of the documents that were requested.  It feels like a lot more is needed this time around than when I purchased my home in 2010!  Getting it all converted to PDF is going to be a pain in the butt for some items too, but I know it's well worth the hassle to get started.  I'm envious of those who have already gotten past this part at the moment...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.