How Do You Partners Run Your Business?

How Do You Partners Run Your Business?

Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

I tell you a GREAT idea for a course imo would be one on how to build and efficiently run a business. I guess there are some books out there (any recommendations?) but I wouldn't mind plunking down some $$$ for a course on something specifically dealing with real estate investors.

In any event as some of you know I recently took on a business partner recently and things are running pretty good. I'm primarily responsible for acquisitions and he's primarily responsible for marketing and sales (he will also deal directly with the contractors on rehabs while I handle the administrative details of the rehab). The last partner I had was my Brother and he was pretty content with me dealing with all administrative matters including communicating with our attorney regarding contract negotiation (we use attorneys in northern NJ).

But with my new business partner we've decided that I would communicate with our attorney during the purchase phase and then hand it off to him once we have a signed contract. He will then send our attorney an email signaling the completion of the purchasing phase and the beginning of the selling phase while announcing himself as the lead person. And if the attorney needs to communicate anything to us regarding something on the purchase side (i.e. title issue) he can communicate it to my partner.

Your thoughts on this? My concern is that it will take a little getting used to since my attorney is used to communicating all issues to me. PLUS it can be a problem as we have multiple deals in multiple phases. However I feel it does make us more efficient as I want as little to do with a property and deal once I get a signed contract. I want to focus as much of my time and energy on buying - especially in this market. Your thoughts? How do those of you in partnerships split your duties and communicate with the same vendor?

I'm also a Realtor working at a small investor-friendly Brokerage ran by 3 Realtors-Investors. One of them handles all office and administrative details while the other 2 do all of the leg work including getting sellers under contract for investor deals and listings.

I feel this does NOT work for us as we both do our best work in the field. Plus I'm good with sellers and feel that we'll hurt ourselves if I'm taken off the field during the Big game just to deal with paperwork. Thoughts?

1Reply
13 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    13y

    Depends on the skill sets of each person.

    But off hand, it's great to hear you're doing so well that you have an attorney working simple tasks that you could do and get a less expensive assistant in the office admin side. Just a thought..... :)

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    It sounds like you have worked out a pretty good system. You might have your attorney cc you any communication just to stay in the loop.

    I agree with Bill, the best structure is one based on the skills and abilities of those involved, and if there are areas where none of the partners are skilled, hire someone that is.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks Bill and Karen.

    Bill G., the attorney only deals with legal matters including title issues and communicating with the other party’s attorney. Other tasks including marketing, CO inspections, lien negotiating, research, property showings/marketing (to buyers) and other issues we face (we specialize in abandoned properties which often come with a bunch of legal and title issues) we handle ourselves for the most part.

    And together we pretty much have everything covered. In the end though we agreed that all I want to do is communicate with sellers and get them signed up while all he does is negotiate with buyers.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.