Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Brendon Grover
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PA
Votes |
Should an LLC be used to purchase first MFH

Brendon Grover
  • Real Estate Agent
  • PA
Posted

I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase my first multi family property under an LLC, due to the requirements of the 1031 Exchange of having to buy your next property under the same name. My goal is to keep exchanging until I work my way up to a big enough property that produces my freedom number. Thoughts on whether or not an LLC over your personal name is a good idea to start? Thank you all

User Stats

Votes
Adam Nishikawa
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

Hi Brendon Grover
Excellent question! Setting up an LLC is for your protection. You will have no problem exchanging the property under a single member LLC. The main reason it needs to be a "single member" LLC is simply- the replacement property must be acquired by the same taxpayer that disposed of the relinquished property. If you do not have a single member LLC extremely complicated situations may arise. The IRS wants a matching tax I.D. I always advise speaking with a CPA and Estate Attorney about what is best in your state/goals.

• Adam Nishikawa
  • [email protected]
  • User Stats

Votes
    Dave Foster
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
    • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    Votes |
    Professional Services
    Pro Member
    #1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
    • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
    • St. Petersburg, FL
    Replied

@Brendon Grover, Completing exchanges as an LLC is not a large problem. A single entity LLC not choosing to be taxed as a partnership so not filing a tax return is a disregarded entity for 1031 purposes. All activity of the property is reported on your personal tax return so you are still seen as the taxpayer.

It's really not the complexity of the 1031 that gets you . It's the financing. The more liability protection you seek corporately, the less a lender likes it. Which is why obtaining financing as an LLC can sometimes be difficult. If you're LLC is a disregarded entity then you can sell as the LLC but purchase as yourself which can help with financing and yet still keep the 1031 intact.

An LLC filing it's own tax return can still do 1031s just fine. But it is more difficult (but not impossible) to separate the individual members.

BiggerPockets logo
    PassivePockets is here!
    |
    BiggerPockets
    Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.