Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Alex Gutenson
Pro Member
  • Vienna, VA
Votes |
Can Reverse 1031 Exchange be applied for recently acquired property?

Alex Gutenson
Pro Member
  • Vienna, VA
Posted

We jumped on an opportunity to purchase an investment property with an existing tear down quality structure, and closed in June of this year. This property was purchased under our development business LLC with cash. No banks were involved. We are now ready to sell a similarly valued vacation home property held in our name and use these funds to build a new structure on the new property. Is it possible to sell the vacation property, and use a 1031 exchange to purchase the new property back from our LLC in our name? Or do we need to go the route of setting up the new property with an intermediary, build the new structure with proceeds from sale, and then repurchase after the new structure is completed? We prefer not to have to rush the new build because we have big plans and want to get it right, but will be applying all the proceeds from the sale of the vacation home towards the new structure.

User Stats

Votes
Dave Foster
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Professional Services
Pro Member
#1 1031 Exchanges Contributor
  • Qualified Intermediary for 1031 Exchanges
  • St. Petersburg, FL
Replied

@Alex Gutenson, It was called a Reverse leasehold improvement exchange.  Normally you can't exchange into improvements on property you own.  Rev Proc 2004-51 started to turn the screws on this process.  and subsequent years have shown that the IRS doesn't really like them. Not prohibited but not encouraged.  And very little guidance given other than "Attorney up and Attorney Well.