I was wondering if anyone has experience with Grand Rapid, MI and the multifamily rental opportunities? I have been hearing good things about the market. Would Michigan be a good place for an out of state investor to look?
We have several members who live in the Grand Rapids market, and own assets. Where are you investing from? For me, there would be better markets to invest in from out of state.
Real Estate Consultant · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2022 · 463 posts · 253 votes
2y
Hi Matt-
Great question about whether Grand Rapids is a good market for multifamily rentals and if Michigan is a good place for an out-of-State investor to look at.
Grand Rapids is one of the best local economies in the State. There is lots of economic development in Grand Rapids and it has a diverse economy. It also has net positive population growth and mostly from younger people.
Grand Rapids is definitely a good market for multifamily investment as it has also seen rent growth unlike other parts of the country for multifamily.
It is also a more affordable place to invest compared to other parts of the country and Grand Rapids is generally landlord friendly.
A quality property manager is essential for an out-of-State investor and there are some good ones locally.
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Grand Rapid, MI and the multifamily rental opportunities? I have been hearing good things about the market. Would Michigan be a good place for an out of state investor to look?
Hey Matt! I'm a Real Estate Broker based in Grand Rapids and cover the West Michigan market. Let me share some info and data with you about this area.
Grand Rapids has experienced a bit of a boom the last few years due to lack of properties for sale and consistent (or even increasing) demand. Because of this, our median price point has risen from $200,000 in Spring of 2019 to a value of $315,000 today in just 5 years! That kind of appreciation is wonderful for long term hold investors but it's having a negative effect on investors entering the market. Rents have not quite kept pace with the median price increase and as a result, cash flow has suffered. We have had quite a few rental units enter the market in Grand Rapids recently as well. It's pretty common to find 2x more rental units available than homes for sale. Compare that to a nearby major metro like Muskegon that has 5x more homes for sale than rental units available!
Grand Rapids is an excellent investment opportunity for the long game where appreciation and equity build up are the priorities. If cash flow is your goal, I'd suggest looking at some of the nearby communities like Muskegon, Battle Creek and Kalamazoo. The price point entries in those communities are much lower and the cash flows are excellent with much less rental pressure on units and a better homes for sale ratio.
I cover all these areas so if you'd like to discuss particulars just message me and I'll be happy to help